xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Will Xbox 2/xbox Next Be Less Modder Friendly?  (Read 1033 times)

thewickedjester

• Archived User
Will Xbox 2/xbox Next Be Less Modder Friendly?
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2004, 11:17:00 AM »

QUOTE (Shadowblade @ Oct 10 2004, 09:04 PM)
If MS was smart, they'd make it easily hacked. Just look at how many people are online in this message board every minute. Thats millions of people who most likely just bought their xbox to mod it. If most of you guys are like me, I bought a couple of games to go along with the xbox too, while I was doing research on modchips.  I would have never bought an xbox if you couldn't have modded it.

i agree entirely, i would never have bought an xbox (much less 3 of them) if it wasnt for modchips (and this site). you wonder why MS put a area where the bios passes throught the mother board unencoded? cause they just dont care if we mod them

their biggest problem everyone thinks, and they claim, is that there are certain people who pirate the games, go to blockbuster or hollywood video, rent the game, save it to their hdd, ect ect. the truth is, MS doesnt loose that much money on that because their main source of income on the xbox is two things, the console, and the liscensing to independant corperations that make the games. MS claims to loose money to piracy and the such, but it doenst affect them that badly, just the video game programmers.

DrowMaster

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2004, 10:13:00 PM »

ok i don't know much about pcs heh.. but if the xbox two is build pretty much the same way xbox is built.. doesn't that mean there could be IDE or some form of it on the mobo.. so we can flash the bios to tell it to read a hard drive?

Trisman

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2004, 10:57:00 PM »

QUOTE (thewickedjester @ Oct 12 2004, 07:20 PM)
...MS doesnt loose that much money on that because their main source of income on the xbox is two things, the console, and the liscensing to independant corperations that make the games. MS claims to loose money to piracy and the such, but it doenst affect them that badly, just the video game programmers.

No it's not, they lose money on every console and only gross about $10k for signing a developer.  Their main (almost only) source of income is the selling of games.  They get paid by getting a (extremly large) cut of the net profit of games sold.  Every game that is not sold is money lost for M$.

enderandrew

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2004, 02:03:00 AM »

While I doubt the Xenon will ship with an internal HDD, there will definately be storage options for the Xenon.

With said storage options, hackers will take advantage.

hard candy

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2004, 07:57:00 AM »

My guess is that along with mod chips will come modded flash drives. Not sure how much one costs wholesale but if it is in a reasonable price range, then why not replace the flash drive with an "unlocked" flash drive?
The engineers will not be able to make an completely unhackable xbox and maintain a certain price range, but if they can drive down the percentage of people using modded xboxes to a point where they get maximum return for ther investment, then they will be happy.

DruPalmer

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2004, 08:59:00 PM »

smile.gif! As for the Cd drive, I personally think that MS can figure out a way to not run it off of IDE. Therefore, NO IDE = NO adding a HDD! I know this is SAD...but I think this is what is going to be inside the new xbox 2....BUT HEY, it'll look cooler, right?  dry.gif

makaveli91

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2004, 02:14:00 AM »

All this talk about no hdd, external hdd's is making me not want this thing.. The only reason i got my xbox over a ps2 was the hard drive..  At first i knew nothing about the ability to mod the xbox or anything..  straight up it was the hard drive..  Then the mod chips were a bonus....  I think it'll be really shitty if they mess with the formula too much..  Ps2 is 50% of the machine the xbox is, but with no hd they are pretty much equal.. with ps2 kickin it with more varieties of games...

Kenshin256

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2004, 11:00:00 PM »

I think it would be much harder, it seem like this time they are really using custom parts.

mike96sc2

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2004, 01:16:00 PM »

Why not wait and see instead of waste bandwith with useless threads like this one.

JLR

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2004, 03:36:00 PM »

QUOTE (Shadowblade @ Oct 11 2004, 01:04 AM)
If MS was smart, they'd make it easily hacked. Just look at how many people are online in this message board every minute. Thats millions of people who most likely just bought their xbox to mod it. If most of you guys are like me, I bought a couple of games to go along with the xbox too, while I was doing research on modchips.  I would have never bought an xbox if you couldn't have modded it.

If M$ was smart they would take a left out of Nintendo since I don't think that anyone has hacked the Gamecube, well the last time I heard they hadn't but there is a way around it.  Since there is only 1 way that I know of then Nintendo are the clever ones at the moment.

Barnolde

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2004, 09:22:00 AM »

QUOTE (Shadowblade @ Oct 11 2004, 02:04 AM)
If MS was smart, they'd make it easily hacked. Just look at how many people are online in this message board every minute. Thats millions of people who most likely just bought their xbox to mod it. If most of you guys are like me, I bought a couple of games to go along with the xbox too, while I was doing research on modchips.  I would have never bought an xbox if you couldn't have modded it.

You DO know that you make money off software, NOT hardware, right? Why would MS allow people to steal software so they can sell hardware? It'd be financial suicide, and not to mention, pretty damn stupid.

deacon187

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2004, 11:48:00 PM »

thats one thing i never understood, why would they make a counsel to loose money on every sale to hope to make it up on game sales, to me this is pour marketing,

shit in one hand and wish in the other

newguy001

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2004, 12:06:00 AM »

this is my thought. if the xbox 2 releases with or without a hd, it will have similar aspects to the original. unless ms plans on using a new form of reading their games, they will most likely be using dvd-roms. the insides maybe different, but i'm thinking, with the proper tweaks and adjustments, an xbox 2 would be somehow, someway playable on the xbox original. only thing i'm thinking bout is that the new graphics that the new box will have will make it more detailed and better for the new box rahter than the old box.
Pages: 1 [2]