xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Will Xbox 2/xbox Next Be Less Modder Friendly?  (Read 1063 times)

kingal89

• Archived User
Will Xbox 2/xbox Next Be Less Modder Friendly?
« on: October 03, 2004, 02:39:00 PM »

If they dont' have a hard drive in the next xbox i think that will suck! What you guess think about modding the next xbox.

chasealicious11

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2004, 03:19:00 PM »

yes it will be harder, much

bigted41

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2004, 06:36:00 PM »

it won't make it any less harder, just won't have all the cool shit we've got. all the stuff that we can put on our hd's right now... like games and apps and whatnot

just gotta wait tho  sleeping.gif

crazy8

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2004, 08:57:00 PM »

Well lets assume that the next BOX wont have a HDD.If the DVD drive uses the IDE interface then with some moddification and a lil bit of work wouldnt it be safe to assume that there would be away to add a HDD and have the NEXTBOX boot up via the HDD??just a though..something i have been wondering to.

t_skraggs

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2004, 09:29:00 PM »

Not necessarily.  The XBox cannot be modded to accept 2 HDDs on the IDE channel.  So, without a HDD originally, I'd say the XBox 2 probably won't accept a HDD.  We shall see.  I have heard rumors that the XBox 2 will accept external devices, such as HDDs.  Or, was that the PS3?  Eh, regardless it's all rumor.  We won't really know until it comes out --- or until it is modded.

crazy8

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2004, 08:38:00 PM »

well the bright side of that is if it was the XBOX that would accept external devices, then there is a way to have an internal HDD. lol  biggrin.gif   biggrin.gif

psyberxian

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2004, 10:55:00 AM »

if the XBOX 2 has a LPC on the motherboard, it will only be a matter of time before a modchip comes out for it....

I bet if you ran a survey... the XBOX didn't really start selling like hotcakes until modchips started coming out for it...

if MS doesn't want the XBOX 2 to be hacked, they would incase the motherboard in a epoxy resin to prevent access to solder points...

-Psyber

NeuroChemist

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2004, 12:58:00 PM »

hey dont give them any ideas!!!!! plus didnt i hear that it wont come w/ a hdd but it will be availible for an add-on?  in that case we should be able to do what we are doing now, who knows, i cant wait to peak under the hood

Myxi2001

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2004, 07:32:00 AM »

When is the Xbox 2 out? <_<

Scan-C

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2004, 07:21:00 AM »

QUOTE (psyberxian @ Oct 4 2004, 05:55 PM)
if the XBOX 2 has a LPC on the motherboard, it will only be a matter of time before a modchip comes out for it....

I bet if you ran a survey... the XBOX didn't really start selling like hotcakes until modchips started coming out for it...

if MS doesn't want the XBOX 2 to be hacked, they would incase the motherboard in a epoxy resin to prevent access to solder points...

-Psyber

the lpc wasn't even needed to mod the xbox. remember 29 wire mods? and even if there is an lpc port ms can easily prevent the xbox 2 from loading the bios from there.

they can't secure the whole board with epoxy resin too. someone would be crazy enough to sand it away laugh.gif other than that ms needs testpoints for repair of damaged consoles.

i'm sure it will be hacked. it's just a matter of time.

EvilNight

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2004, 08:39:00 AM »

The Xenon console is designed around a larger world view of storage than Xbox was. Games will have access to a variety of storage devices, including connected devices (memory units, USB storage) and remote devices (networked PCs, Xbox LiveĀ™). At the time of this writing, the decision to include a built-in hard disk in every Xenon console has not been made. If a hard disk is not included in every console, it will certainly be available as an integrated add-on component.

If that's the hardware, we can make some safe assumptions...

1) If there's a HDD inside, no problem.

2) If not, it should be simple to add an external, USB hard drive.

3) It should also be simple to support booting from USB disks in the BIOS of whatever mod chips are designed.

The Xbox2 is less of a PC than the original, but really only becase of its CPU (based on PowerPC rather than x86). However, as long as people have screwdrivers and it remains based, however loosely, on standard PC technology (like USB), it'll remain quite hackable. I'd kinda prefer having the hard drive as an external unit. It makes it damn easy to tweak the data by hooking it to a computer, and it's also easy to take it to a friend's house. You also won't void your warranty, or have to put up with various annoying forms of encryption and other inept hackproofing.

It would be nice to find a way to bootstrap the sucker from a USB Hard Disk without actually using a mod chip. All it takes is a good, solid bug in the default code somewhere (and hey, it's MS, so you know there will be plenty), and one could create a CD-ROM that exploits it and simply transfers control out to the hard disk. No more voiding warranties or dealing with "illegal" hardware hacks and other such crap. If you want to play the hacked one, you hook up a hard disk, pop in the hack boot cd, and you're off.

Time will tell.

JesseWHHS

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2004, 01:40:00 PM »

i dont know anything but atleast read to here. lol

anyway i was reading this crap and thought about ahow u cant realy read the xbox HDD on a PC, atleast i never got it to work............ lol

could they possibly make a new file system? like how we have FAT and NFTS? like i know a 95 machine cannot read a NFTS partition. so i think if they do realese ANY kind of HDD internal or external there is gonna be a giant kicker. like they will have it rock solid so we'll all be screwed. wel not really cause M$ is really dumb but i just wanted to see wut u guys thought abotu that. who knows, u guys mite think that this makes sense! lol.  beerchug.gif

Shadowblade

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2004, 07:04:00 PM »

If MS was smart, they'd make it easily hacked. Just look at how many people are online in this message board every minute. Thats millions of people who most likely just bought their xbox to mod it. If most of you guys are like me, I bought a couple of games to go along with the xbox too, while I was doing research on modchips.  I would have never bought an xbox if you couldn't have modded it.

pingrr

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2004, 06:13:00 PM »

QUOTE (Myxi2001 @ Oct 6 2004, 08:32 AM)
When is the Xbox 2 out? dry.gif

Next Thursday.

I think that the xbox2 will not come with a hard drive but it will be an exrta feature that can be added on.

Juancster

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2004, 03:39:00 PM »

I assume that the next Xbox will be alot harder to mod, reason being MS is probably aware of the current amount of modders, out there. But as you know.. "Where theres a will, theres a mod" So its bound to be modded eventually.
Pages: [1] 2