xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Backwards Compatability  (Read 587 times)

Crypty

• Archived User
Backwards Compatability
« on: September 17, 2004, 01:50:00 PM »

I just noticed thers is a petition on the web for this.
Now to the untrained mind, backwards compatability may seem like a dandy-swell idea, but some of you morons have to learn what you are asking for. The only way to make a console capable of playing both xbox1 and 2 games is to make sacrifices. It will just drive up the cost to you. And thats not the only place you will pay. You will likely pay in shittier graphics quality. It is amazing what xbox 1 can do as far as graphics go, considering it only has a 733mhz processor.  But what will happen when xbox 2 has to have a processor that runs both?
There are 2 options
Xbox1 hardware (gpu and CPU) built into the xbox 2: which would increase the size and cost greatly.
Or a single processor that handles both: Which would likely require a graphics downgrade from what was originally aimed for. Or alternatively it would be possible at a higher cost to you.

And finally, what is the big deal, why cant people just keep their old xbox1? Is it too big? Do they need the 50 dollars?(or whatever low price it will be going at)
You cant possibly get rid of xbox 1, buy xbox 2 and then be upset about compatibility.

The only reason I see for wanting backwards compatability is for newcomers to the xbox. So they dont have to buy an xbox 1 to get in on the games.
Even so, for some reason I get the feeling most people who want backwards compatability are already xbox owners.

t_skraggs

• Archived User
Backwards Compatability
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2004, 12:18:00 PM »

Windows XP is nearly 100% backwards-compatible to all previous versions of software.  It will even run DOS games.

DOS was backwards compatible.
Mac OS is backwards compatible.

Where's your historical precidence that allows such thinking as yours?

Crypty

• Archived User
Backwards Compatability
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2004, 12:59:00 PM »

Im talking about the CPU, not the OS. The idea behind xbox is the 733 mhz processor is cheap and designed specifically for xbox games, which is why they look so good with a shit cpu.  Making a processor compatible across 2 playforms would either cost more or cut back on graphics quality.

WhatsAModchip?

• Archived User
Backwards Compatability
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2004, 06:42:00 PM »

so you're saying that if i get gta 1 and play it on my windows xp 3.0ghz system it wont work well because it was made for older computers?  I'm sure theres a way to put backwards compatibility without putting xbox 1 in there.  sorry but looks like you're gonna have to do more investigating to convince me, just looks like MS taking shortcuts like usual.

This post has been edited by WhatsAModchip? on Sep 19 2004, 01:44 AM

t_skraggs

• Archived User
Backwards Compatability
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2004, 10:21:00 PM »

QUOTE (WhatsAModchip? @ Sep 19 2004, 01:42 AM)
sorry but looks like you're gonna have to do more investigating to convince me, just looks like MS taking shortcuts like usual.

Yup, I agree.

I'm running a P4 2.4 OCed to 2.8.  The games I bought (like X-Com and Civ 2) back when a P2 was the fastest still look good.  Back when I was running a P2-350, the games I bought during the DOS games still looked good.

Again, where's your historical precidence?  Never in the history of AMD/Intel has a chip come out that didn't easily run the previous software designed under earlier chips.  The XBox is PC-based.  If the XBox2 is also PC-based, then why wouldn't it run similar to the XBox, only faster and smoother?

Did they start over with their architecture?  Oh yeah, we don't know.  All we know is rumor.  Have the rumors suggested such?  MS doesn't make chips.  They only make the OS, which tells the hardware how to use the software, and/or vice versa.

Scan-C

• Archived User
Backwards Compatability
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2004, 11:59:00 AM »

if the known rumors are true the xbox 2 will have an incredible processing power and can emulate the xbox perfectly without any stutterung. it would be similar to ps2.the ps2 uses some kind of emulation layer to run psx games.

as far as i know every console that's backwards compatible does it this way.

Savejonas

• Archived User
Backwards Compatability
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2004, 06:19:00 PM »

I've got the pettition for backwards compatibility in my sig simply because I believe that if the Next Xbox could play Xbox1 games then it might be easier to hack (this is just an assumption). Plus I like the idea of still being able to play my ps1 games on ps2 and probably ps3.

Altima NEO

• Archived User
Backwards Compatability
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2004, 07:14:00 PM »

Since the architecture on xbox 2 will be way different than xbox 1 (x86 - ppc) Its unlikely that they would add hardware to allow xbox 1 games to work. More than likely, it would be done via software emulation. Since MS and its partner companies know more about their hardware and software, they would have the best chances of programming software that can emulate the original xbox. Not like the emulators programmed by guys for fun on their free time.
It all depends on how much time and money MS wants to invest in this, and if they feel it will affect sales.

mycol

• Archived User
Backwards Compatability
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2004, 12:26:00 PM »

QUOTE (WhatsAModchip? @ Sep 19 2004, 01:42 AM)
so you're saying that if i get gta 1 and play it on my windows xp 3.0ghz system it wont work well because it was made for older computers?  I'm sure theres a way to put backwards compatibility without putting xbox 1 in there.  sorry but looks like you're gonna have to do more investigating to convince me, just looks like MS taking shortcuts like usual.

Bingo!

To sign the petition goto:

http://www.petitiononline.com/xbox2/petition-sign.html?