xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Will The New Xbox2 Weigh More?  (Read 957 times)

reactions

• Archived User
Will The New Xbox2 Weigh More?
« on: August 23, 2004, 08:02:00 AM »

all hardrive/chipset talk-aside - anyone believe that they will restructure the xbox where the components dont weigh 20 + lbs like the original xbox?

i actually believe it will weigh lighter - simply because they wont need the bulky dvd, harddrive, power -   besides everyone made fun of the xbox for being such a lardass - its feelings are hurt - no doubt will go on a diet - that fat tubby

gainpresence

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2004, 09:37:00 AM »

Your Xbox weighs 20+lbs? All I've delt with were around 8.5 lbs  :P

Anyway, I think next one will be smaller than the current, and without a (standard) hard drive.. should be lighter.

Rohaq

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2004, 10:47:00 AM »

i actually believe it will weigh lighter - simply because they wont need the bulky dvd, harddrive, power

Huh? How's it going to work without a way of reading media and no power supply? XD

oxjeremy334

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2004, 12:07:00 AM »

It's going to run on batteries and cartridge games...
But seriously, I like the 8.5 lbs with the quick detatch controllers, no drunkass has tripped ovet the controller cord and ripped it off the shelf.

cyberdork33

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2004, 10:03:00 AM »

QUOTE (oxjeremy334 @ Aug 26 2004, 07:07 AM)
But seriously, I like the 8.5 lbs with the quick detatch controllers, no drunkass has tripped ovet the controller cord and ripped it off the shelf.

good point, have had a controller fly out someone's hand from this, but the box stayed in place...

reactions

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2004, 02:32:00 PM »

QUOTE (oxjeremy334 @ Aug 26 2004, 07:07 AM)

yah i feel the weight is good in the regard of havinga  drunk friend walking into it and surviving - still wont forget how weird it was pulling out the xbox from the box - holy shit this thing is heavy!

Paintballer

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2004, 12:59:00 PM »

I imagine it will be lighter than the frist.

the black box

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2004, 01:48:00 PM »

It's probably going to be lighter and smaller than the first one.

Cxyer

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2004, 07:51:00 PM »

It's been rumored the the XBOX 2 (also known as XBOX NEXT, XBOX II, and XENON) won't have a hard drive, making many gamers worried that some of the coolest advantages of the XBOX over other gaming systems will be lost.

Today the XBOX has a hard drive that is used to store saved games, store game data which greatly speeds up game loading, for storing downloads from XBOX Live, and for storing MP3s and WMAs which can be used as background music in many games.

Today M-Systems CEO Dov Moran has confirmed in an interview with Israeli business journal Globes Online that the "XBOX 2" will not have a hard drive, and instead will have a solid state flash card made by his company.

M-Systems, which many of us have never heard of, is the the Israeli company responsible for inventing flash memory. Flash memory is what digital cameras use to store photos.  Unlike the memory you use in your PC, flash memory does not require a power source to remember the data, and unlike a hard drive, there are no moving parts and it makes no noise.

This is great news - it means the next XBOX will be smaller, quieter, and lighter. This could also open an opportunity for MS to build a portable XBOX, although shrinking down the top-of-the-line video card and cpu's will still be a hefty challenge.

Today's XBOX hard drive is about 10 GBytes. Today most digital camera owners use memory cards less than 1/2 Gbyte, however M-Systems makes Fast Flash Disks up to 47 Gbytes, so there's no telling how much memory MS plans on stuffing in the XBOX 2.

:beer:     :evil:

L337CH337

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2004, 08:21:00 PM »

But, of course, Flash Memory dosent have (Nearly) unlimited writes like a harddrive does...

And also, whats the fun in not having a good old harddrive? I want my system to sound on, not a wimpy whir of the fan.

And the game caches? Having flash memory could greatly increase loading times, which M$ Will not do bacause that'd lose money, unless they got good flash chips (Like hella good.)

miazmaticdotcom

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2004, 02:57:00 AM »

They will probably use smaller (IE laptop) hard drives. That would cut down on size.

ninjax

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2004, 07:26:00 AM »

miazmaticdotcom has a point.  laptop hard drives are probably the way to go.  I have heard a million times that Laptop HDD's are too expensive, but what is the diffrence between an 8 gig Laptop HDD and a regular 8 gig HDD, they are both useless to most people on earth.  Im sure there are a million 5-8 giggers laying around for MS to use.  Just MHO

Ice9Tech

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2004, 08:35:00 AM »

I know the Xbox 2 will way more than YOUR mom... Not mine though... Are you fucked in the head?  That's 450lbs of extreme power! Wizzoot!

Rohaq

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2004, 02:31:00 PM »

QUOTE (Cxyer @ Aug 28 2004, 02:51 AM)
It's been rumored the the XBOX 2 (also known as XBOX NEXT, XBOX II, and XENON) won't have a hard drive, making many gamers worried that some of the coolest advantages of the XBOX over other gaming systems will be lost.

This rumour is older than Jesus wink.gif

reactions

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2004, 05:16:00 PM »

QUOTE (Ice9Tech @ Aug 28 2004, 03:35 PM)
I know the Xbox 2 will way more than YOUR mom... Not mine though... Are you fucked in the head?  That's 450lbs of extreme power! Wizzoot!

actually the fuck head is the one that posted up photos of 2 seriously shitty ass modded xbox box's that nobody on the forum liked!

and ur mom was fine last nite - she says to sand and paint again
Pages: [1] 2