xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Mac OS X On Xbox 2  (Read 919 times)

appleguru

• Archived User
Mac OS X On Xbox 2
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2004, 07:12:00 PM »

Mac OS X will never work on any hardware other then Apple's. This is due to a custom boot chip that the OS looks for to validate the hardware. There is Mac On Linux (MOL) but it once again can only run on Apple's hardware. Sorry to kill the thread but this I know for a fact (unfortunately).

A@ron

If we can have OS X running on X86 hardware (even if brutally slow) then MOL or similar can be 'patched' to allow OS X on an Xbox w/ a PPC processor. PearPC seems to work via modifying Darwin a bit (as well as emulating PPC hardware...), and Darwin (The core of OS X) is indeed free and open source. cool.gif

appleguru

• Archived User
Mac OS X On Xbox 2
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2004, 08:35:00 AM »

wink.gif Ponder these questions:

Do you honestly think M$ would let users play backup games on an xbox without the need for even a chip? Oh wait... wink.gif

And what about them leaving an LPC bus on all of their xbox's, a bus that uses known specifications and is able to take over the whole xbox system? Oh wait... cool.gif

And keep in mind: The xbox 1 can *already* run Mac OS X (Albeit slowly...)

Should the xbox2 be moddable to run backup games, there's no doubt in my mind Mac OS X will be running on it wink.gif

Trisman

• Archived User
Mac OS X On Xbox 2
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2004, 04:26:00 PM »

What systems have had MacOSX ported to them? I'm not talking about PearPC, I'm talking about a native recompile of Darwin with OSX being installed on top of that.  PearPC is nice, and it should get faster, but i don't think that the 1-2fps range counts as a true fully functional port of an OS.  By knowing what systems OSX has been ported for, we should be able to get an idea of what we can do with it.

appleguru

• Archived User
Mac OS X On Xbox 2
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2004, 05:04:00 PM »

Well, Mac on Linux can basically run on any PowerPC machine that can run linux...

http://www.maconlinux.org/

So, since the xbox2 is going to have a PPC chip...

Trisman

• Archived User
Mac OS X On Xbox 2
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2004, 07:21:00 PM »

That looks to be a program kind of like VMWare.  Even with no cpu emulation, this is probably slower than a native mac recompilation.  Simply the overhead of running two operating systems simultaneously would probably bring it down to half of the speed of a recompilation.  Is recompilation possible or is the only way to run it on non-mac hardware is to run it through some type of emulation window in another os?

appleguru

• Archived User
Mac OS X On Xbox 2
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2004, 07:47:00 AM »

It *might* be possible to recompile Darwin and get OS X to install natively on top... Only time will tell I guess. But as for MOL, it's hulluh fast. Nowhere near half speed; more like 90% from the tests I've done on my rather slow mac with YDL.

Kr4ck

• Archived User
Mac OS X On Xbox 2
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2004, 01:00:00 AM »

Just put a linux distro on it if its the full functional PC and since its G5 im guessing BSD is the way to go which is also Unix based like linux.Only problem is most n00bs mite not figure everything out
Pages: 1 [2]