xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mac OS X On Xbox 2  (Read 910 times)

appleguru

• Archived User
Mac OS X On Xbox 2
« on: August 15, 2004, 07:09:00 PM »

Well, since the Xbox 2 will be using the PPC 970 processor (The same one in Apple's G5 computers) and that MS is using G5s themselves for ealry game/software development, do you think it will ever be hacked to run Apple's OS X? If the Xbox 2 is ever hacked/modchips ever made for it, and there's a place to put the OS (be it on flash or an HDD) then it's certainly possible with a mac BIOS... Even without a mac BIOS, OS X's open source underlying core (based on FreeBSD), Darwin, would be able to be hacked to run I'd think. OS X on a console would be undenyably cool 8) What do you think?

appleguru

• Archived User
Mac OS X On Xbox 2
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2004, 07:11:00 PM »

BTW, here's my prediction: I think OS X will never be able to run on an Xbox 2, but Darwin will. Of course, this is all speculation ;-) Who knows what will really be possible....

A@ron

• Archived User
Mac OS X On Xbox 2
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2004, 09:12:00 PM »

Mac OS X will never work on any hardware other then Apple's. This is due to a custom boot chip that the OS looks for to validate the hardware. There is Mac On Linux (MOL) but it once again can only run on Apple's hardware. Sorry to kill the thread but this I know for a fact (unfortunately).

A@ron

telexen

• Archived User
Mac OS X On Xbox 2
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2004, 09:41:00 PM »

QUOTE (A@ron @ Aug 15 2004, 08:12 PM)
Mac OS X will never work on any hardware other then Apple's. This is due to a custom boot chip that the OS looks for to validate the hardware. There is Mac On Linux (MOL) but it once again can only run on Apple's hardware. Sorry to kill the thread but this I know for a fact (unfortunately).

A@ron

Agreed ... Sorry but it's foolish to think that MacOS is that open

I'll bet once we figure out how to run unsigned code we'll be able to put on PPC versions of linux though

This post has been edited by telexen on Aug 16 2004, 04:42 AM

A@ron

• Archived User
Mac OS X On Xbox 2
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2004, 10:12:00 PM »

Yes some form of linux should definitely be able to run on the XBox 2 (or whatever they call it) once it is hacked and unsigned code can be run. However, it still would need to be a custom build for the XBox 2. Just like the Xbox has .xbe files which are custom compiled for it, it would be silly to think any different for the next version. Also a bit more tricky would be that since the dev kits are G5s running a custom NT/2000 core... a would be homebrew developer might have to get his hands on a version of windows to run on a G5 (who knows if they will write the compiler from the ground up as opposed to just a plugin) and that will severely slow development I would think.

billenglish

• Archived User
Mac OS X On Xbox 2
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2004, 10:29:00 PM »

I still can't believe they are goin with a PPC processor, does anyone have good proof?

A@ron

• Archived User
Mac OS X On Xbox 2
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2004, 04:51:00 AM »

It's not hard to believe when all the other consoles are using PPC as well, Sony and Nintendo. They really have little choice due to the heat a higher clock P4 or P4M puts out, gaming consoles need to be compact and not the size of a normal desktop. Not to mention the PPC chips are actually less expensive. However, I do not believe they will be able to fit a multicore 3.5 GHz chip in the box and deal with the heat issues, I mean look at Apple's dual 2.5 90nm G5s that use liquid cooling. I think they may be feeding the rumor mill a bit to scare sony, this is not unheard of in the gaming or computer industry (not to mention it drums up publicity cheap).

A@ron

Mr Clown

• Archived User
Mac OS X On Xbox 2
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2004, 06:30:00 AM »

Why do I get the feeling that when XB2 comes out, there will be 4 threads a week asking this question....

Xboxmodder3690

• Archived User
Mac OS X On Xbox 2
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2004, 07:25:00 PM »

Nope, for the same reasons that A@ron listed

Trisman

• Archived User
Mac OS X On Xbox 2
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2004, 06:20:00 AM »

Gamecube has a PPC and even though they have linux theres no OSX.  Plus im not sure but i think that Mac would care about OSX distributions floating around that they didn't make.

tailspower2001

• Archived User
Mac OS X On Xbox 2
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2004, 01:58:00 PM »

Mac OS X the only way it will ever run on X-BOX is with 3rd Party unsinged code that needs modding to work or emulation under Liunx and/or Windows 95-2000 siale at this time we can't run any verison of Windows hireg then 2000 without so major work. X-BOX 2 is sind to have an light version of Windows Meida Center Edtion that only the X-BOX can and will beable use. So thier may be an cance than, but not now. The Keyword about doing this is emulation. I don't use Mac so I wouldn't what to do this, but I would like X-BOX 2 to sill let Mac and Linux PCs be the network host PC for getting on X-BOX Live.

bradfordjohnson

• Archived User
Mac OS X On Xbox 2
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2004, 10:54:00 PM »

QUOTE (billenglish @ Aug 16 2004, 12:29 AM)
I still can't believe they are goin with a PPC processor, does anyone have good proof?

Hell yeah.  IBM's taking care of "Xbox 2" and PS3 with the PowerPC.  I know this because my father works for IBM and has seen PS3 protoypes in action...although I still will put my money on XB2 kicking ass.

Anarchy99

• Archived User
Mac OS X On Xbox 2
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2004, 11:17:00 AM »

just so you guys know the xbox 2 or whatever it is called will get osx if linux is put on as long as it has a hd or equivalent and high enough specs to run it because mac on linux runs on apple and non apple ppc even if A@ron says otherwise
like pegasosppc i cant think of any others  at the moment but there are a few
and the main reason the gamecube didnt get good modds and that is the unstandard drive thats why the panisonic q has more than it and even if it had mem cards big enough to hold linux with MoL and all that the gamecubes specs are to low for it

miazmaticdotcom

• Archived User
Mac OS X On Xbox 2
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2004, 02:54:00 AM »

There's a project out there somewhere, though I can't find them right now, called OSXbox. They're going to try and port it.

appleguru

• Archived User
Mac OS X On Xbox 2
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2004, 10:28:00 PM »

Well I'll be damned! Todays news article about OS X on the Xbox 1:

http://www.xbox-scen...VVZVXRWurjP.php

biggrin.gif

There's hope yet! OS X on the Xbox2 would likely be awsome as little software emulation would actually need to occur and the lower level system calls would all be native... Based on the rumored specs of the Xbox 2 this might actually make a viable OS X computer.... biggrin.gif
Pages: [1] 2