xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ps4/xbox One Tech Spec Comparisons 'meaningless'  (Read 1390 times)

garyopa

• Archived User
Ps4/xbox One Tech Spec Comparisons 'meaningless'
« on: June 29, 2013, 11:39:00 AM »

'It's not going to matter,' says Xbox product planning boss Albert Penello

Comparing the 'meaningless' technical specifications of Xbox One and PS4 is a pointless endeavor, argues Xbox product planning boss Albert Penello

(IMG:http://www.maxconsole.com/maxconsole/contents/RKSID00000000000000001083/icon_xl.jpg)

Yesterday, we published the news that came in regarding the fact developers for XB1 have been told that the 32mb embedded memory bandwidth has been increased from 102GB/s on the early devkits, to now 192GB/s on the retail production consoles.

But an Microsoft Exec spoke out today against all this 'tech specs' compare wars of XB1 vs PS4, he says its no longer 1990, this next-gen era is no longer in the days of 16bit vs 32bit anymore.

He said, people have now moved on past all this 'tech specs' comparing shit, it will really all come down to the great GAMES that we will have for our XB1 console and of course (again) the added power of our CLOUD! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

"The problem is that Sony decided to go out and publish a bunch of numbers, which are in some ways meaningless," he told OXM. "Because this isn't like 1990, when it was 16-bit versus 32-bit."

Penello went on to lash out at Sony's use of 'off-the-shelf' parts for PS4.

"As a matter of fact, they actually go out and they talk about how proud they are about their off-the-shelf parts. Our guys'll say, we touched every single component in the box and everything there is tweaked for optimum performance," he boasted.

"For me, I'd rather not even have the conversation, because it's not going to matter," Penello went on, playing down any real-world benefits to be had from tech spec differences.

"The box is going to be awesome. The games are going to be awesome. I heard this exact same argument last generation and it's a pointless argument, because people are debating things which they don't know about. They're not [head silicon engineer] Nick Baker or [corporate vice president of IEB hardware Todd Holmdahl], and I'm not [lead PS4 architect] Mark Cerny, so why are we having this discussion?" argued Penello.

"I feel like our games and experiences are going to be every bit as good, if not better, technically - on top of all the magic we're going to add with the instant switching, and the power of the cloud."

NEWS SOURCE: PS4/Xbox One tech spec comparisons 'meaningless', says Microsoft exec (via) 360Crunch

Aldanga

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 12:35:00 PM »

They are relatively meaningless, at least at this point. Perhaps in 3 to 5 years they'll matter more, but I expect we'll see performance differences as insignificant as we've seen this generation. The only thing which has any chance to change that is remote processing, but we'll have to see how that pans out.

HotKnife420

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 12:42:00 PM »

There may not be a big difference (well, PS4's memory is seemingly twice as fast), but there's a $100 price difference, and PS4 is "less-DRM" than XBO. The comment he makes about older generations comparisons being 16-bit vs 32-bit is flawwed, because people weren't comparing the Playstation's spec's to Genesis; they were comparing the PSX with the Saturn and n64. By his logic, there's no need for me to buy XBO, because the 360 should be able to handle everything right? Cause this isn't 16-bit vs 32-bit tongue.gif

hyfall381

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 07:37:00 AM »

I agree with his point about how it's meaningless to compare specs because it's all about the games.
Look what happened with the Wii, vs. 360 and PS3.  Wii specs are sh*t compared to 360 and PS3, but they sold many more consoles each month.

sabbath_dude

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 02:25:00 PM »

QUOTE(hyfall381 @ Jun 30 2013, 02:37 PM) *

Look what happened with the Wii, vs. 360 and PS3.  Wii specs are sh*t compared to 360 and PS3, but they sold many more consoles each month.
The attach rate was dismal and the console was largely adopted by casual gamers who forgot they even owned the thing after a couple of weeks. And Nintendo have already stopped supporting the console!

If tech spec comparisons don't mean anything then why does Microsoft keep banging on about the power of the CLOUD and how infinitely more powerful it'll make their console over the competition? Also, why bother bumping up the specs of their retail units so late into development and this close launch if tech specs make no difference??

If anything I think tech specs are even more important nowadays! At least from a marketing point of view if nothing else. The WiiU is a perfect example.

This post has been edited by sabbath_dude: Jun 30 2013, 09:26 PM

Exobex

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 06:28:00 PM »

"Penello went on to lash out at Sony's use of 'off-the-shelf' parts for PS4"

Yeah, because M$ did such a fantastic job last time they developed their own ICs, right?

kingpickle

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 04:28:00 AM »

Love it when next-gen console season comes around. Same meaningless arguments over and over. If those who can't (for whatever reason) get both consoles are making their decisions based on information like this, they are fools. The one main thing that should influence your decision should be exclusives. The rest of the games will have minimal differences that you either wont give a shit about or barely notice. If you really care if Lara Croft has a few more pimples on her ass on one platform vs another then by all means continue being a fool. But please, don't call yourself a gamer. Wear the fool badge proudly. I'm gettin both because I like GT, GoW (gears and god) and a few other exclusives.

Xeriak

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 04:11:00 PM »

QUOTE(kingpickle @ Jul 1 2013, 11:28 AM) View Post

Love it when next-gen console season comes around. Same meaningless arguments over and over. If those who can't (for whatever reason) get both consoles are making their decisions based on information like this, they are fools. The one main thing that should influence your decision should be exclusives. The rest of the games will have minimal differences that you either wont give a shit about or barely notice. If you really care if Lara Croft has a few more pimples on her ass on one platform vs another then by all means continue being a fool. But please, don't call yourself a gamer. Wear the fool badge proudly. I'm gettin both because I like GT, GoW (gears and god) and a few other exclusives.

I completely agree with this statement. I will also be getting both, tho I may initially by the PS4 first, XBO second. I can't give up on all the great XBO exclusives, so I won't let minor tech differences influence my decision to buy a new console.

The Xbox 360 was somewhat weaker than the PS3, yet it out-performed in sales and had better quality cross platform games. However.. things might be slightly reversed this next gen, but who cares? I'm not a fanboy and try to collect all consoles.

hyfall381

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 08:51:00 PM »

QUOTE(sabbath_dude @ Jun 30 2013, 09:25 PM) *

The attach rate was dismal and the console was largely adopted by casual gamers who forgot they even owned the thing after a couple of weeks. And Nintendo have already stopped supporting the console!

Doesn't matter.  The fact is the Wii still outsold the other consoles most of the time.  That goes to show specs arent always important to gamers, casual or not.

I agree with your other points though that you stated in your post.

I'm not too crazy on how MS has been doing things this time around.  I'll probably be getting the PS4 at launch and time will tell if I get an XBO.  It definitely won't be this year though.

This post has been edited by hyfall381: Jul 3 2013, 03:53 AM

ekruob

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2013, 12:32:00 AM »

QUOTE(Xeriak @ Jul 3 2013, 09:11 AM) *

The Xbox 360 was somewhat weaker than the PS3, yet it out-performed in sales and had better quality cross platform games. However.. things might be slightly reversed this next gen, but who cares? I'm not a fanboy and try to collect all consoles.

Not sure that's quite correct - games developers were quite united in their view that the 360's GPU was superior to that of the PS3 - and they also pointed out that the PS3 CPU only achieved full performance by spending considerable time optimizing the code to utilize all 7 cores (which most games studios sticking to tight release windows never did) - this is highlighted by your own evidence of better cross-platform games on the 360.

That said - given that the PS3 wasn't that far behind the 360, it is obvious that the PS4 and XBO are even closer together in technical performance...

The only real difference is the XBO's cloud-power... and only certain genres of games can benefit from that (e.g. MMO).

This post has been edited by ekruob: Jul 6 2013, 07:33 AM

relaxxx

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2013, 03:38:00 AM »

I've compared cross platform games and I've found the 360 graphics were smoother than the PS3. Some PS3 racing games had such glitchy scenery that I couldn't even stand playing it. Like a tree or phone poll traveling across the screen in like 3 frames. Maybe it was just crappy coding but anyway I favor the 360 hardware for many reasons.

As far as Xbone VS PS4, I'm expecting PS4 to come out on top. Whatever this ESRAM work around is sounds sketchy to me. Sounds like they're itching to cook this thing just to keep up. I didn't think heat was going to be an issue until I heard about this ESRAM speedup. From the people who thought 110C EDRAM throttle temperature was suitable in 2005.

This post has been edited by relaxxx: Jul 6 2013, 10:44 AM

Ranger72

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2013, 09:01:00 AM »

Yes the 360 was a better console for cross platform games BUT...I am yet to find one 360 game that comes close to the exclusive likes of the Uncharted and now the Last of Us series. Of course developer Naughty Dog spent considerable time pulling it off but the end result shows in the game.

flbeserk

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 05:22:00 PM »

I always dread reading the comments for posts such as these.  But, this time around feels like a lot has changed.  The whole pointing fingers.  fan boy this and that I haven't found just yet.  Maybe I'm not looking far enough or maybe people are just starting to be like hey they're both good in their own rights.  Pick the one you want or if you can buy both.

sinclairuser

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2013, 09:07:00 AM »

QUOTE(flbeserk @ Aug 30 2013, 12:22 AM) View Post

I always dread reading the comments for posts such as these.  But, this time around feels like a lot has changed.  The whole pointing fingers.  fan boy this and that I haven't found just yet.  Maybe I'm not looking far enough or maybe people are just starting to be like hey they're both good in their own rights.  Pick the one you want or if you can buy both.

i think the lines between the two systems are drawn differently this time, i have decided to opt out of the next gen till m$ pulls the plug on the 360.
at that point i will buy the most hackable system, but my choice wont be influenced by any knee jerk "fannish thought".
the 360 and ps3 were the tools that learned us to think this way, the numbers of burned fingers received by fans of both ps3/360 wont be forgotten.
as a result, the true winner wont be known for some time yet.

addisj

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2013, 08:57:00 AM »

It does seem as though the PS4 is the better looking and highest spec console right now.

It also worries me that MS have overclocked the Xbone to get more juice out of it to compete with PS4's GPU.  Usually overclocking means 2 things;
1. more heat and we know how the 360 dealt with heat.
2. Reducing life

Personally I wil do the following;

Wait till the first XbOne mod.  Then buy one.  

PS4 wise, will wait for the first upgrade.. by that I mean the first 'slim' where v1.0 problems will have been ironed out like overheating, the addition of better quality drives and even additional output ports which will probably be in 6 months time.

I bought day one 360 and PS3 and both died on me.
360 - RROD
PS3 - they updated the bluray firmware at the same time of the COD release.  The day 1 bluray drives died there and then.

Im not making that mistake again.
Pages: [1] 2