xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Microsoft Backtracks On Drm And 'always-online'  (Read 691 times)

zainday

• Archived User
Microsoft Backtracks On Drm And 'always-online'
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2013, 08:59:00 PM »

"I bet the NSA is paying Microsoft for their access and of course doesn't care to tell there customers what there allowing."

I agree....Why would I want to pay an extra 100 bucks to allow access to my every move....
Kinnect sucks anyways....baught one and used it 2 times in 29 days and returned it....
Plus you need a big area for it to kinda work....but works fine enough to spy on people...lol

As far as them back tracking on their policy change....
Remember when the new dash came out and everyone complained and they said it wouldn't be used for spamming....
My screen is covered in crap and i get a little tiny box for my game....
I've been a MS fan for a long time, but they lost me with XBone and Windows 8....

scottmuller28

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2013, 04:10:00 AM »

M$ have lost trust and direction and will take years to get that back with it's core customers. I can see being gone in about 12 years. Google office apps and others are killing m$ office software , plus win 8 cannot be used in the corporate environment and  being late to tablets and cell phones Microsoft are dying a slow death. They don't know what the fuck to do next. The xbox one is their only hope of keeping profitable which is the reason for the 180 back flip on drm policy and might have completely fucked it up.

I wrote this using Apples iPad mini.....not the over priced surface.

This post has been edited by scottmuller28: Jun 24 2013, 11:34 AM

relaxxx

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2013, 05:07:00 AM »

and I'm surfing the web half of the time on a $40 android TV box. These things are great and huge potential. I can probably buy 4 or 5 MK808 multimedia boxes for the cost of one Win 8 software license.

tomgreen99200

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2013, 04:24:00 PM »

Too much complaining for my taste. I guess you can't make everyone happy. I just want to play some Xbox One.

QUOTE(relaxxx @ Jun 24 2013, 07:07 AM) *

and I'm surfing the web half of the time on a $40 android TV box. These things are great and huge potential. I can probably buy 4 or 5 MK808 multimedia boxes for the cost of one Win 8 software license.

What does that have to do with anything?

relaxxx

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2013, 03:54:00 AM »

I was continuing with SM28's sentiment, that MS is out of touch. There are cheaper and better options available.

tomgreen99200

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2013, 02:13:00 PM »

QUOTE(relaxxx @ Jun 25 2013, 05:54 AM) *

I was continuing with SM28's sentiment, that MS is out of touch. There are cheaper and better options available.

Right because iPads aren't overpriced at all. For the price of an iPad you could buy an Xbox One. Xbox One is a better value, it just does more than an iPad.

relaxxx

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2013, 03:11:00 PM »

Did you read my post?

Did I say I was using an ipad?

enu87

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2013, 08:14:00 AM »

It would be nice if they changed the Kinect to sold separately or offered a version of the XBO without it, then they could probably lower the price by $100.  I think a lot of people would be happy to see the requirement for it to always be connected disappear and the price cut would make the XBO the same price as the PS4.

lordvader129

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2013, 12:04:00 AM »

QUOTE(Zod5000 @ Jun 23 2013, 06:16 PM) View Post

Two things:

1)  They were going to ship codes with the games to activate the games online (IE to register them on your console and gamertag.  Since those codes won't be shipped the DRM wouldn't really work.  I guess they could turn it on at some point, but it would only impact releases from that point on.

Where did you hear they were shipping codes? I didn't see anything regarding that so I assumed it was some unique identifier on each disc (its something MS and even Sony have addressed previously, I beleive Nintendo even implemented a system like this n response to Wii hacking, but I could be mistaken)

If that is the case they could could activate their system at any point and lock down all games previously sold.

This would of course result in lawsuits (changing the licensing contract after you already entered into the contract by purchasing the game)

However it would allow for an opt-in system, allowing gamers to choose to "digitize" their license, and play without the disc and re-download at any time from anywhere without the original disc.

I am actually hoping for an option like this (on a per-game basis) because the more I thought about the advantages of the new system (especially the 2-license XBL family thing) the more I actually liked it

Gazc0igne

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2013, 05:44:00 AM »

i did wonder how they would implement the game registration without codes.

optical media are mass produced from a master disc, it would cost far too much to produce individual discs unless they found a way to brand each disc individually who knows just glad its gone TBH!
Pages: 1 [2]