xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Microsoft Backtracks On Drm And 'always-online'  (Read 684 times)

garyopa

• Archived User
Microsoft Backtracks On Drm And 'always-online'
« on: June 19, 2013, 03:05:00 PM »

Not just an Rumor, its been confirmed by multiple sources, including Microsoft themselves

The previous posted ToS regarding 'used games', 24hr check-in, and other DRM lockdowns is set to be changed shortly by Microsoft, after weeks of PR backlash, and Sony poking at them!

(IMG:http://www.maxconsole.com/maxconsole/contents/RKSID00000000000000001025/icon_xl.jpg)

Oh My God... --- Is it true... -- Yep, it seems Microsoft has decided  to listen to the feedback on XBOX ONE, and is ready to make changes to  their previous DRM lockdowns, and checkins, the rumor has been fast  spreading across the 'net so much, that some sites are down, and  Microsoft themselves is busy updating their Xbox Wire site:
  • No more always online requirement
  • The console no longer has to check in every 24 hours
  • All game discs will work on Xbox One as they do on Xbox 360
  • An Internet connection is only required when initially setting up the console
  • All downloaded games will function the same when online or offline
  • No additional restrictions on trading games or loaning discs
  • Region locks have been dropped

Update on June 19, 2013:  As a result of feedback from the Xbox community, we have changed  certain policies for Xbox One reflected in this blog. Some of this  information is no longer accurate - please check here for the latest.

As of now Microsoft has still not updated their official FAQ, but stay  tuned to this amazing story, it just might be a big PR win for M$ (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

NEWS UPDATE: http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update

NEWS SOURCE: Microsoft backtracks on DRM and 'always-online' (via) 360Crunch

Reaper527

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 03:38:00 PM »

this is great news. definitely a good day to be a gamer.

i might not be getting an x1 on launch day (they made that decision a little bit too late), but i'll definitely be picking one up with in the first year. (i'm sure they'll do christmas bundles for christmas season 2014, i'll probably pick one up then)

DuckOfDeath

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 08:05:00 PM »

I knew something would change, but doing a complete 180 is a mistake, I think.  I'm sure they've spent tons of money developing the system to share games and allow for disc-less playing.  Seems pretty knee-jerk just to toss it all out the window.  I'm sure this whole thing has cost them dearly in development costs, as well as in bad publicity.  

I was really expecting to see them implement a method of offline play requiring the disc to be in the console if the online check fails.  The only downside I see to that is the possibility of a completely offline console playing games that are registered on another user's cloud.  That's max 1 cloned game per disc.  Seems acceptable given that the majority of users will want online play at some point.  

-Duck!

boon147

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2013, 02:18:00 AM »

QUOTE(DuckOfDeath @ Jun 20 2013, 03:05 AM) *

I knew something would change, but doing a complete 180 is a mistake, I think.  I'm sure they've spent tons of money developing the system to share games and allow for disc-less playing.  Seems pretty knee-jerk just to toss it all out the window.  I'm sure this whole thing has cost them dearly in development costs, as well as in bad publicity.  

I was really expecting to see them implement a method of offline play requiring the disc to be in the console if the online check fails.  The only downside I see to that is the possibility of a completely offline console playing games that are registered on another user's cloud.  That's max 1 cloned game per disc.  Seems acceptable given that the majority of users will want online play at some point.  

-Duck!

I think its too late regardless,...i think that they have pushed a lot of gamers over to the PS4 already (including me, potentially)

I dont think they would have wasted development money though,...you'll probably find that they were also developing "offline" firmware / software at the same time as the DRM one in case something like this happened.

This post has been edited by boon147: Jun 20 2013, 09:19 AM

relaxxx

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2013, 03:19:00 AM »

They pretty much had to, they were getting destroyed over this online DRM.

ca102455

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 07:45:00 AM »

Now all we need is for MS to reverse their policy on Kinect 2.0 being always connected & everyone will be happy. Either that or buy some duct tape to wrap that ugly brick in.....

colt223

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2013, 08:33:00 AM »

Great news. I was going to skip the new Xbox because of the online required crap and not being able to sell used games, etc.
I own a pawn shop, and I dont make a ton of money on used games, it would be ridiculous to not be able to take in used games and make a dollar here and there.
At least I dont have to miss out of Halo 5 now. smile.gif Yay!

relaxxx

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2013, 08:59:00 AM »

This is why I wanted people to make a big stink and get mad about DRM.... RESULTS!

To those few who were content with online authentications,
well, you're welcome anyway.

Thanks to ALL who made a big ugly stink everywhere.
Thank You, now I will probably own an Xbone someday.

Code-Red

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 01:47:00 AM »

Don't know yet whether I want to support Microsoft this time around. Pretty certain I'll be going PS4.

mat82284

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2013, 02:56:00 PM »

I've been a huge supporter of microsoft over the last 5-6 years and once i bought a windows 8 laptop i returned that the next day for a macbook. They royally screwed up on windows 8 and there sales records prove it. They have sold less windows 8's than vista and vista was there hole in the wall.

I was planning to pre-order at least 5 xbox 360's for my-self and family this christmas and after the DRM E3 fiasco about the rumors being true i said no thanks, then when the ps4 showed up and listed all its benefits i made 5 pre-orders from amazon.

Sucks to be $$$ they lost a lot of money from there fans, but they deserve it. Its finally time that the community sticks it to greedy companies. The damage was already done and ps4 took most of the pre-orders.   What to say that Microsoft doesn't try to do another 180 right before launch. It's hard to say, but would be predictable since their loosing alot.

I understand the clouds features, but that is only one issue people would have with online only. Many users have Max gigs a month and thats another slap in the face to those users when microsoft forces you to download more data to play your games.

I wont be canceling my pre-orders and i wont be buying the xbox one either. The only way i'll consider it is if the kinect is able to be removed, and purchased without it.

Its stuff like this that make me sick and make me hate Microsoft more and more. More power to the guys who buy this, just make sure you tape the video and use super glue on the speaker holes. They mostly care about the audio and expect people to tape their cameras. I bet the NSA is paying Microsoft for their access and of course doesn't care to tell there customers what there allowing.

http://dailycaller.com/2013/06/07/new-xbox...-watch-you-247/
http://arstechnica.com/security/2013/06/ns...crosoft-others/

This post has been edited by mat82284: Jun 22 2013, 10:03 PM

amak1131

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2013, 03:38:00 AM »

Remember, those of you who complained did it online for the most part. And people seem to be ingoring that you need to be online to get this update (unless it is included on the game discs). Why is there no backlash over that? Very illogical and hypocritical, in my opinion.

Not to say this isn't good, but there was a bit of a hole in the logic on "no DRM!". I do wish they'd do an opt-in where you get the features now cut but you need to do the online check (at least this DRM brought some neat stuff with it). With all the backlash and some of the people who flipped out... I'm quite glad they went to the PS4, personally.

I always remember Sony and the OtherOS mess along with the PSN hacking fiasco. Both are bad and painting the PS4 as a "savior" is forgetting the past (which isn't being done with the DRM on the XB1... interesting hypocrisy) and a mistake as they too are a company that wants money. Overall, one-sided thinking and not considering everything else aside "errrr mer gerd DRM EVIIILLLL!!!!" However, I do respect the few that considered everything and still went with the PS4; they at least thought beyond "DRM".

Zod5000

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2013, 09:35:00 AM »

QUOTE(DuckOfDeath @ Jun 19 2013, 08:05 PM) View Post

-Duck!

I still think it's a smart move.  Realistically they could have the best of both worlds.  We already digital versions of games that don't need discs.  You download them off xbox live.  It sounds like all the new games will be available on live or the xbox one.  People who want discless won't have any issues.

The game sharing we would of had was so restricted I didn't think much of it.  30 days to someone on your friend list, and only once.. meh.

At least now those that want to share games can share the disc version, and those that want a digital copy with needing a disc can download it off xbox live?

johnyblackout

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2013, 05:23:00 PM »

Once you buy their product, cant they change their 'policy'? I mean what's stopping them from just implementing all this DRM, once you already purchased the xbone?

seed.helper

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2013, 06:35:00 PM »

this was only a test to see if the public would accept that DRM scheme without to much fuss

they saw that they would loose many gamers,   this is really funny indeed...
i dont understand how they tough that could be possible to continue with that scheme and get away and make people happy LOL

johnyblackout the only thing that is protecting you is the console sales in the future... loosing market... they will not do it because of that (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

This post has been edited by seed.helper: Jun 24 2013, 01:37 AM

Zod5000

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2013, 07:16:00 PM »

QUOTE(johnyblackout @ Jun 23 2013, 05:23 PM) View Post

Once you buy their product, cant they change their 'policy'? I mean what's stopping them from just implementing all this DRM, once you already purchased the xbone?

Two things:

1)  They were going to ship codes with the games to activate the games online (IE to register them on your console and gamertag.  Since those codes won't be shipped the DRM wouldn't really work.  I guess they could turn it on at some point, but it would only impact releases from that point on.

2)  Competition.  As wierd as it sounds, Sony kept them in line.   If they turn it, they know they competition will gladly take their customers.
Pages: [1] 2