xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Xbox One: Official Details on License & Connectivity  (Read 925 times)

Aldanga

• Archived User
Xbox One: Official Details on License & Connectivity
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2013, 10:07:00 AM »

QUOTE(Reaper527 @ Jun 13 2013, 05:06 PM) View Post
on your first point about the drm, take a look at the CURRENT xbla marketplace. games go into the system, and never drop in price. a game that was $10 in 2005 is still $10 today (unless the game was removed from the marketplace due to poor sales, because games get removed instead of reduced).

every now and then you will see a 1 week sale, but in the past 8 years only 1 game has ever had a real price reduction, and that is skulls of the shogun. a game which launched simultaneously with it's pc equivalent, yet at a higher price.

with xbla, we aren't seeing prices dropping despite the fact they exist in this "no used games" dystopia. 99% of xbla content has no physical equivalent, but the prices don't go down. when the system was new, the average price was $5 a game. the average eventually shifted to $8 a game, and is now at $15 a game, with games being released at the $20+ price point.

if microsoft really thought that this would lower prices, there is no way they wouldn't have mentioned that at e3.

You're absolutely wrong about the prices. Content gets permanently reduced on XBL every month. Some months have more than others, but price drops are common place.

Reaper527

• Archived User
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2013, 04:30:00 PM »

QUOTE(Aldanga @ Jun 14 2013, 12:07 PM) View Post

You're absolutely wrong about the prices. Content gets permanently reduced on XBL every month. Some months have more than others, but price drops are common place.

got any specific examples? the only permanent drops i've seen are on GoD games, not xbla or dlc.

Aldanga

• Archived User
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2013, 04:33:00 PM »

April and June. (I can't find any from May this year, so I don't know if there were reductions that month.)

Reaper527

• Archived User
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2013, 04:57:00 PM »

i guess i stand corrected, but those drops are still the exception and not the rule. games that never get reduced vastly outnumber those few rare cases (and this even applies to annual titles like magic, all of which are still at their base price that they were introduced at.)

(also, when did these reductions start? is this a new practice? these articles are the first i've seen of it)

Aldanga

• Archived User
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2013, 05:56:00 PM »

It's been going on for at least a couple years, if memory serves.

MadMaxGR

• Archived User
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2013, 03:32:00 AM »

QUOTE(Psyfer9983 @ Jun 7 2013, 09:55 AM) View Post

No thank you MS. I will not be getting this. Guess its a PS4 then. Sad, I've been a XBOX gamer since day 1 of the original XBOX.

MS needs to learn that not everybody has internet or can't get internet due to location. I have a friend who lives out in the sticks who can't get anything, not even a cell signal. He has looked into satellite internet but its high and has a bandwidth limit like most if not all ISP do. So I guess he won't be getting the new XBOX. And have a kinect censer hooked up at all times is just ridiculous. Have you read the terms and conditions on that? Hello, privacy invasion alert.

I cannot agree more... Unfortunately, since region lock plans have been announced as well (the console will work only on approved countries), I will have to buy PS4 if I want the latest gen console in my living room. I say unfortunately, because I was XBOX user since day 1, and I love its Live as it was so far and the games that come with it. Too bad marketing strategy MS... you should listen more your hardcore gamers.

P.S. The pricing of XBONE is $100 higher than PS4. With so many restrictions I was expecting at least the XBONE to be lower priced than PS4, so people will have at least a logical reason to buy it, because so far... I don't see any reason why I should choose XBONE, and YES, HALO 5 is not enough to make me buy a 500 Euro console that will not work where I live and the way I want to play!

dcaway

• Archived User
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2013, 03:02:00 PM »

i couldnt wait for the xbone... til i read this,and i havent been a sony fan for quite some time, the controller is just too small and uncomfortable for me. so, i went and bought a wii u for this gen. if the one is hacked, i'll pick one up, till then i hope for some good titles for my wii..

krandor

• Archived User
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2013, 06:49:00 AM »

QUOTE(ekruob @ Jun 7 2013, 10:36 PM) View Post

Is 10 family members, as stated... or 10 family members only on the one console? (note the difference there will be extremely important - many families with several children will have more than one console).

... and the obvious corollary; how do they enforce 'family' versus 'room-mate' / 'distant-cousin' / 'ex-step-sister' / 'guy I met in public house yet now bestie for life' ?!

How this 10 family member sharing is going to work is one of those points that really need clarification.

I have a friend who is really excited about this because they have lots of family members all over their state who play xbox and they think they will save huge amounts of money by all being able to share the same game.  I just don't see it working like that.

There has to be some type of restriction or limitation on this to avoid "game clubs" of 10 people forming all over the internet to share costs o games.  The question though is what will they be.

I suspect it will be somehow tied around a "master console" where everybody must log onto that console once every X period of time and then in between can access the library on any other console.  It is also possible that it will require all accounts to be linked to the same credit card to make it less appealing to let people you don't know well get access to your credit card.  

Anybody who thinks you can just select any 10 people and link them together and share all your games hasn't been reading the microsoft philosophy on this console.  However, there are very few details yet on how this is going to all work and I think that is intentional.

The details are where the Xbone starts to have issues.

Another case in point is this whole integrated TV thing.  I think again that is something that looks better on paper then it will actually work.  I saw something on this forum about somebody expecting to be able to get rid of their cable box and watch live sports - isn't going to happen.  The Xbone does not have a tuner at all in it so it is going to have to rely on your cable box to get a signal.  Then the xbone is going to have to control that cable box and unfortanely for many that is going to almost have to be by IR blaster (some boxes may have serial access but many will need IR blasters).  IR blasters are a pain to setup, a pain to maintain, and are SLOOOOOW.  Again, on the TV side I expect when the details come out on how you have to connect the TV to your xbone and how it really works in practice come out, it isn't going to be near as appealing.  If MS really wanted the xbone to be where you watched TV, they needed to go with a tuner and something like a cablecard and actually let it replace your cable box, but they are not doing that.  

The devil is in the details and the more details come out about xbone, the worse it looks.

Reaper527

• Archived User
« Reply #38 on: June 17, 2013, 10:17:00 AM »

QUOTE(krandor @ Jun 16 2013, 08:49 AM) View Post

How this 10 family member sharing is going to work is one of those points that really need clarification.

I have a friend who is really excited about this because they have lots of family members all over their state who play xbox and they think they will save huge amounts of money by all being able to share the same game.  I just don't see it working like that.

it is confirmed that no 2 people can be playing the same game at the same time (so buying 1 copy of halo 5 and expecting to fill a lobby isn't going to happen). it is also being reported that only 2 people can be connected to a game library at a time (including the game owner). the wording on the xbox page definitely supports those reports, even if it doesn't come out and explicitly say it.

KanjiMan

• Archived User
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2013, 12:09:00 PM »

Well I just think the 24hr thing is stupid... i could care less about the DRM.  Im only gonna buy games I like anyways at 70-90 bucks a pop, and there is really not many places to rent stuff anymore that industry is fading out and with downloadable demos you can try games out... which Microsoft is usually pretty good about that.   My 360 is always connected to the internet anyways with one exception... traveling... yes when traveling no internet means no gaming THAT FRIGGIN SUCKS! So i guess the console will never leave my home.  But that yet is not a deal breaker... and those of you treatening to buy a PS4... I laugh at you cause at launch:

PS4 is not compatable with AUDIO CDs (No music of your own except paid subscriptions aka"Music Unlimited")
PS4 is not compatable with MP3s
PS4 is not compatable with EXTERNAL DRIVES OF ANY TYPE
AND LASTLY:
PS4 is not compatable with STREAMING media from your pc servers

So if you think this is bad enough to go buy a ps4 instead of a XB one... can you deal with all that crap? $ony really screwed their system up for its launch  LOL.

I can put up with the DRM from Microsoft.. as long as I can play my media someway somehow cause its gonna be the "Media Hub" of my home; Microsoft will have a sale from me for sure
Pages: 1 2 [3]