xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Xbox One: Official Details on License & Connectivity  (Read 892 times)

TreFacTor

• Archived User
Xbox One: Official Details on License & Connectivity
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2013, 04:20:00 PM »

QUOTE(ekruob @ Jun 7 2013, 05:36 PM) View Post

Is 10 family members, as stated... or 10 family members only on the one console? (note the difference there will be extremely important - many families with several children will have more than one console).

... and the obvious corollary; how do they enforce 'family' versus 'room-mate' / 'distant-cousin' / 'ex-step-sister' / 'guy I met in public house yet now bestie for life' ?!

The way it might work is that you can accept people into your live gold account by making them part of the family. As long as they have been on your live friends list you can move them to the share category and then share games linked with that account from cloud storage. This is the reason for the online requirement. You and anyone associated with your xbox one even in the same house should be able to play the game from the cloud without the disc because every game installs to the hd (and supposedly the cloud).

I'm not interested in a restricted console. The features are fine and they cleverly eliminated used games but I won't be told when to game and jump through more hoops than I already do. I bought the first kinect and I don't like them forcing another one on me....they got balls. Besides the drm is for fighting piracy and I'm certain they are going to be all over this machine with sledgehammers. Only the innocent are punished while the pirates run free.

ekruob

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2013, 05:44:00 PM »

QUOTE(TreFacTor @ Jun 8 2013, 09:20 AM) View Post

The way it might work is that you can accept people into your live gold account by making them part of the family...

So its not so much a family limit of 10, but more of a top-10 user/share list per game!

BasicAir

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2013, 09:21:00 PM »

QUOTE(hyfall381 @ Jun 7 2013, 04:49 AM) View Post

If MS goes in this direction, the smartest thing Sony could do is go in a completely DIFFERENT direction.  If MS is really setting all these rules, many people including myself will be going with Sony.

Which would in turn make MS change their policies up. At the end of the day, MS and Sony are not going to be at polar opposites on this issue, I guarantee it.

But keep in mind that since only devs and pubs get a cut of the action by supporting used games, they will want to do the same on both consoles or neither console. The other possible outcome is a lot of devs/pubs refusing to release their games on another console if they can't somehow get income off used game sales.

It will be very interesting to find out every little detail from both MS and Sony come October/November. Everything we're hearing now is just bits and pieces and subject to change before launch as well. We have a lot more information from MS but still not every specific detail and, again, it's subject to change before launch. I really do believe that by launch time there will be a lot of different opinions for both Sony and MS. Some positive, some negative I'm sure for both but who knows what that'll be.

medievil

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2013, 03:06:00 AM »

QUOTE(BasicAir @ Jun 8 2013, 04:21 AM) View Post

Which would in turn make MS change their policies up. At the end of the day, MS and Sony are not going to be at polar opposites on this issue, I guarantee it.

But keep in mind that since only devs and pubs get a cut of the action by supporting used games, they will want to do the same on both consoles or neither console. The other possible outcome is a lot of devs/pubs refusing to release their games on another console if they can't somehow get income off used game sales.

It will be very interesting to find out every little detail from both MS and Sony come October/November. Everything we're hearing now is just bits and pieces and subject to change before launch as well. We have a lot more information from MS but still not every specific detail and, again, it's subject to change before launch. I really do believe that by launch time there will be a lot of different opinions for both Sony and MS. Some positive, some negative I'm sure for both but who knows what that'll be.

the flip side to not releasing on a console unless they can get a used game cut, is no one buying their games....
 if people can't freely sell their game to whomever they wish, or loan it or whatever, then they will not buy them (You'll have the freaks that will buy anyway, but I am speaking general population)
Games are already a bad investment cause they are so short, why?? cause game developers mistakenly though Multilayer was the way to go and thats where their focus has been... trouble is the multilayer market is relatively small and will not push a console/game sell all on their own. M$ is tryign to up the anti and make their console "Appear" a good investment by adding a whole lot of crap cause they know game sales are going to decline...there is no way around it when you try to hamper the consumers rights

QUOTE(xmod4u @ Jun 8 2013, 07:04 AM) View Post

I think the main thing we all forget is that it is the publishers pushing for this "one time use" thing, not MS or Sony.
So you can be sure that Sony will do the same thing.

The only thing Sony might not do is the whole connect every 24hrs requirement, and the cam needing to be connected. Just that would be enough for me to chose PS4 over XBO.

Sony has already stated they will NOT require anything to play used games, no fees, no having to sell it a certain way, etc...
if the publisher requires it, it is beyond their control, but the system will have no checks or DRM requiring it..

Masta-G

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2013, 02:59:00 PM »

So we'll be able to turn off the kinect but not disconnect it?
What kinda bullshit is that?
So the NSA will be able to turn it on remotely when looking for terrorists or something?

It sucks that we won't be able to take our XB1 on a trip or vacation sad.gif

ekruob

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2013, 05:25:00 PM »

QUOTE(Masta-G @ Jun 9 2013, 07:59 AM) View Post

It sucks that we won't be able to take our XB1 on a trip or vacation sad.gif

You will if your hotel/resort has internet, or if you have 4G LTE coverage.

Unimatrix47

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2013, 08:11:00 AM »

I was excited about the new x-BONE untill I saw the details and saw that it is me, the customer that is getting x-BONED...

Baunegaard

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2013, 01:02:00 PM »

Everybody take a break in here.

First the issue about DRM and used game sales, lets just wait and see at launch what they end up doing, if the Publishers get more Money this way, it could end up lowering game cost overall. I would much rather have the oppertunity to buy good new games for a lower cost, than waiting and buying a used game. So lets just wait and see where this goes.

Second, the must connect to the internet every 24th hour problem, serouisly, welcome to the year 2013, of course this would happen, what did people expect? I see so many possible great features come from this.

Of course if the individual game Price stays as high as they are now, i can see a problem with not properly supporting used games. Everything else is just not a major problem in my eyes.

medievil

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2013, 04:48:00 PM »

QUOTE(Baunegaard @ Jun 9 2013, 08:02 PM) View Post

Everybody take a break in here.

First the issue about DRM and used game sales, lets just wait and see at launch what they end up doing, if the Publishers get more Money this way, it could end up lowering game cost overall. I would much rather have the oppertunity to buy good new games for a lower cost, than waiting and buying a used game. So lets just wait and see where this goes.

Second, the must connect to the internet every 24th hour problem, serouisly, welcome to the year 2013, of course this would happen, what did people expect? I see so many possible great features come from this.

Of course if the individual game Price stays as high as they are now, i can see a problem with not properly supporting used games. Everything else is just not a major problem in my eyes.

completely disagree on both counts...
1) when they jacked the prices up it was to develop better games, thats actually not happened, games have gotten shorter and focus has shifted to multiplayer and away from story drive single player (The real meat of any gaming genre)
I do not foresee them lowering prices now.. they want MORE money, lowering prices defeats that

2) having to be online is ridiculous.. have you seen the real details?/ like a game will not work unless you have been online ??.. what about people that experience cable/Internet outages  fro several days.. they can't pass the time playing a game? what about 75% of the country or more than doesn't have reliable broadband or ANY broadband?... people overseas in the armed services?..
 no, having to connect online every 24 hours is ludicrous and only there because they want to make sure little jimmy's not doing something they deem he shouldn't.
 I won't even go into the you don't OWN the game crap...that will never fly with consumers, or the govt as copyright law clearly states that your purchase becomes yours to do with as you wish. no amount of disclaimers and legal speak M$ or publishers try to spin on it changes that law.. they can't claim it is a lease..copyright law and laws of merchantability counter all that

Reaper527

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2013, 04:06:00 PM »

QUOTE(Baunegaard @ Jun 9 2013, 03:02 PM) View Post

on your first point about the drm, take a look at the CURRENT xbla marketplace. games go into the system, and never drop in price. a game that was $10 in 2005 is still $10 today (unless the game was removed from the marketplace due to poor sales, because games get removed instead of reduced).

every now and then you will see a 1 week sale, but in the past 8 years only 1 game has ever had a real price reduction, and that is skulls of the shogun. a game which launched simultaneously with it's pc equivalent, yet at a higher price.

with xbla, we aren't seeing prices dropping despite the fact they exist in this "no used games" dystopia. 99% of xbla content has no physical equivalent, but the prices don't go down. when the system was new, the average price was $5 a game. the average eventually shifted to $8 a game, and is now at $15 a game, with games being released at the $20+ price point.

if microsoft really thought that this would lower prices, there is no way they wouldn't have mentioned that at e3.

QUOTE(Baunegaard @ Jun 9 2013, 03:02 PM) View Post

what do i expect? i expect my offline games to work offline, no questions asked. if i put a disc in the tray, i expect it to play.

you can diminish how big of a deal the 24 hour requirement is, but do you like super mario world, final fantasy 7, sonic the hedgehog, street fighter 2, halo 2, mech assault, vandal hearts, or any other classic games? because if you do, you should bare in mind that none of these games would be playable today if ms's 24 hour authentication was in place back then.

the authentication servers will be turned off some day, and when that happens, an entire generation of games will disappear forever.

that is just looking at the long term though. lets look closer to the near term. lets say you get banned from live. that means your entire game collection just got taken away from you.

have you ever turned on your 360 and gotten an error when trying to log into live? (whether that being problems with the log in servers, or scheduled maintenance, or whatever). i know i have. hell, i've had that happen to me multiple times in the past few months where the login servers were screwed up. guess what happens when you turn on your system and the authentication system can't be reached. if you guessed that you can't play your games, you guessed correct.

i would take sony's "if you want to accept the negative aspects of drm, you can get some cool rewards from buying digital, and if you don't want to deal with that headache, you can buy physical games" any day of the week over having oppressive drm shoved down my throat.

Psyfer9983

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2013, 09:04:00 PM »

Completely agree with Reaper527. I too have had problems signing in to live in the past. This connect every 24 hours is a load of crap. It needs to be removed completely. But I'm also concerned about the kinect censer having to be hooked up at all times. I have never had a reason to get one nor do I want it. I posted a wile back about the terms and conditions about that thing. I still see a big privacy problem with it.

Xeriak

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2013, 12:58:00 AM »

QUOTE(Reaper527 @ Jun 13 2013, 11:06 PM) View Post

what do i expect? i expect my offline games to work offline, no questions asked. if i put a disc in the tray, i expect it to play.

you can diminish how big of a deal the 24 hour requirement is, but do you like super mario world, final fantasy 7, sonic the hedgehog, street fighter 2, halo 2, mech assault, vandal hearts, or any other classic games? because if you do, you should bare in mind that none of these games would be playable today if ms's 24 hour authentication was in place back then.

the authentication servers will be turned off some day, and when that happens, an entire generation of games will disappear forever.

that is just looking at the long term though. lets look closer to the near term. lets say you get banned from live. that means your entire game collection just got taken away from you.

have you ever turned on your 360 and gotten an error when trying to log into live? (whether that being problems with the log in servers, or scheduled maintenance, or whatever). i know i have. hell, i've had that happen to me multiple times in the past few months where the login servers were screwed up. guess what happens when you turn on your system and the authentication system can't be reached. if you guessed that you can't play your games, you guessed correct.

i would take sony's "if you want to accept the negative aspects of drm, you can get some cool rewards from buying digital, and if you don't want to deal with that headache, you can buy physical games" any day of the week over having oppressive drm shoved down my throat.

I completely agree and find this to be the most sensible rational post in all of the interwebs so far that I have read.

Microsoft cannot in the right mind think that they will get away with selling Xbox One's that will serve as future bricks with zero gameplay once the Internet ceases to exist or authentification servers get taken offline due to a new console launch.

However.. Their recent answer to the whole 24 hour check-in debacle was this:
http://www.ign.com/a...-says-microsoft

So anyone who cannot get internet or whom lives on a nuclear submarine/military zones.. are supposed to forget the Xbox One and simply stick with Xbox 360...

How the heck is that progressive or fair to the consumer?? So they are encouraging their older product and denying the new generation of games to people who cannot always maintain a good internet connection..

Either way.. I think this should be boycott and people should purchase PS4's instead. Microsoft might eventually come to the realization that they screwed up; once they notice that Xbox One units aren't leaving store shelves, and PS4's are flying off the shelves like hot cakes.

krayzie

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2013, 03:31:00 AM »

I think the future will be more and more dependant of the internet in many devices. Physical media is and will be used less and less. Also voice controll is one of the biggest new things that is coming from  technologie development companies since it's coming to a state it might actual be usefull for stuff.
Is ms pushing these things too soon? Time will tell. Is it inevitable to happen? Probably. I understand hardcore gamers might find it a little too much but the thing is brought into the market as a multi device for the whole family and not just for gamers.
Also the privacy complaints about the mic and camera I find a little far fetched. People are using smartphones with these features for years which are online all the time not to mention the possibilities to track the phones whereabouts.
Personally I probably won't be buying it till it proves usefull or when it becomes hacked.

colt223

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2013, 06:55:00 AM »

I am a huge Xbox fan since the original, do not really care for PS3 or Wii.

But this could be a killer. Way too many restriction on when and where I can play a game that I bought and paid for. I like to grab a game, and head over to a buddy's house to have a beer and play a couple games. I should not have to explain that, its silly.

I was really looking forward to this launch, but looks like it will be wait and see time on this one. I am not dropping that much cash on something that might bomb.

krayzie

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2013, 07:16:00 AM »

QUOTE(colt223 @ Jun 14 2013, 02:55 PM) View Post

Way too many restriction on when and where I can play a game that I bought and paid for. I like to grab a game, and head over to a buddy's house to have a beer and play a couple games. I should not have to explain that, its silly.

I thought the idea is you can acces you entire game library from anywhere and from any console directly from the cloud so you don't even need to bring discs. The only restriction I see is a good internet connection.
Pages: 1 [2] 3