xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Xbox One: Official Details on License & Connectivity  (Read 920 times)

BoomDivX

• Archived User
Xbox One: Official Details on License & Connectivity
« on: June 06, 2013, 07:58:00 PM »

sad, looks like I won't be buying this one...

Aldanga

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 08:00:00 PM »

That info graphic is incorrect. Lending and trading is supported, though it is limited. Renting is being worked one. I'm sure they're going to find a solution for that.

DuckOfDeath

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 08:27:00 PM »

While I understand some of the backlash against the new xbox, this site has been unfairly harsh.  This infographic "straight from Microsoft" is clearly written by someone bashing the box, and is actually quite misleading.  I think we're going to have to wait until the console is released and things settle down before we really know.  Here's a more fair assessment of the news just released by Microsoft: http://www.engadget....-always-online/

However, if you consider this more of a dedicated gaming PC instead of a console, this drm thing is a bit easier to swallow.  I'm not a huge fan of having to connect online to play single player games, but I've put up with it for years with steam due to the HUGE benefits. Being able to play my game on any PC, not having to put in a disc to play, organization, sale prices...all these things have sold me on Steam's methods.  I think these same benefits could really become the selling point of the next xbox.  

I'll admit, I only really got into the first xbox when I popped in a modchip and was able to load my games to the hard drive and play without constantly looking for my discs.  My 360 collected dust until that same functionality was brought about by the hackers.  This new xbox has this functionality from the start (albeit with the caveat that ms will be keeping you honest).  I think it's truly awesome to see that they've been looking at ways of making the user experience more like a PC.  Now, just let us connect a kb/mouse and remap the controls, and I'll really be happy.  

-Duck!

garyopa

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 08:37:00 PM »

QUOTE(Aldanga @ Jun 6 2013, 10:00 PM) View Post

That info graphic is incorrect. Lending and trading is supported, though it is limited. Renting is being worked one. I'm sure they're going to find a solution for that.

Yet a bit incorrect, but still looking at the following, it is VERY LIMITED:

'Sharing' is only supported between up to 10 family members.

'Lending' or 'Renting' no details yet on that, might never be supported!

'Trading' is either at an official store, or to friend you know for 30 days or more.

'No resale fee' will be charged by Microsoft.

Also should be noted, that all this above applies only to MICROSOFT STUDIOS games.

Third-Party publishers, have the right to opt-in or out of all those 3 points 'sharing', 'trading' 'no resale fee'.

So that means if it is not an exclusive Microsoft game, like HALO, and you buying an EA or UBISOFT game,
you better check their 'fine print' and see what 'features' they opt-in or out for on your XB1 rights.

And lastly, Microsoft of course states they can 'change the rules' of the game, anytime they want, so in the future this could get worse, or with lots and lots of luck, better for us.

medievil

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 09:25:00 PM »

as far as I am concerned, Xbox ONE is DOA... I don't buy new games, never have(except for a few new releases)..I've always bought them used through amazon mostly or ebay... their new policy kills those sales so i have no use for the console.. I'll go with PS4 (Who have not announced a system like this and have said they will play used games) or Wii U
Sony will make a killing by simply not following this draconian policy m$ has chosen. Apparently M$ has decided they don't want a successful console this go around

BasicAir

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 09:44:00 PM »

They also said you can turn the Kinect off. While you may not be able to disconnect it, who cares if you can turn it off. That statement should be removed from the infographic.

Clearly this was written by someone butthurt on used games issues.

Look, it sucks that this is happening but we knew this day would come and it was inevitably going to happen. Game stores have been getting rich off used game sales and trades while devs and pubs got nothing. Zero, zip, nada.

Also please be advised that if you don't think something similar is going to happen on PS4 then prepare to be surprised. I do not see Sony and MS going in different directions on such an important issue/topic.

defhead

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 10:17:00 PM »

QUOTE(garyopa @ Jun 7 2013, 01:37 PM) View Post

Yet a bit incorrect, but still looking at the following, it is VERY LIMITED:

'Sharing' is only supported between up to 10 family members.

'Lending' or 'Renting' no details yet on that, might never be supported!

'Trading' is either at an official store, or to friend you know for 30 days or more.

'No resale fee' will be charged by Microsoft.

Also should be noted, that all this above applies only to MICROSOFT STUDIOS games.

Third-Party publishers, have the right to opt-in or out of all those 3 points 'sharing', 'trading' 'no resale fee'.

So that means if it is not an exclusive Microsoft game, like HALO, and you buying an EA or UBISOFT game,
you better check their 'fine print' and see what 'features' they opt-in or out for on your XB1 rights.

And lastly, Microsoft of course states they can 'change the rules' of the game, anytime they want, so in the future this could get worse, or with lots and lots of luck, better for us.

For me, this is the order of my disappointed.

1) Connected within 24 Hours - I travel a lot without always having internet access so why should i have to buy hotel internet access just to play my already paid for game.

2) DRM - ewww
3) Kinect 2 - Because im still under the impression this always needs to be plugged in, so id have to lug this    
                   thing round in my bag with me. Could be wrong on this.

Psyfer9983

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 12:55:00 AM »

No thank you MS. I will not be getting this. Guess its a PS4 then. Sad, I've been a XBOX gamer since day 1 of the original XBOX.

MS needs to learn that not everybody has internet or can't get internet due to location. I have a friend who lives out in the sticks who can't get anything, not even a cell signal. He has looked into satellite internet but its high and has a bandwidth limit like most if not all ISP do. So I guess he won't be getting the new XBOX. And have a kinect censer hooked up at all times is just ridiculous. Have you read the terms and conditions on that? Hello, privacy invasion alert.

hyfall381

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 04:49:00 AM »

QUOTE(BasicAir @ Jun 7 2013, 04:44 AM) View Post

Also please be advised that if you don't think something similar is going to happen on PS4 then prepare to be surprised. I do not see Sony and MS going in different directions on such an important issue/topic.

If MS goes in this direction, the smartest thing Sony could do is go in a completely DIFFERENT direction.  If MS is really setting all these rules, many people including myself will be going with Sony.

Definitely Wapner

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 06:44:00 AM »

Probably going to see a lot lower numbers on games on their launch day. If game prices stay at $60 a pop, there will be no more record breaking launches. Ill wait for games to drop to the $30-$40 range 6 months after release.

delawaare

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 09:00:00 AM »

XBOX One is also dead for me.. If I cant buy and sell my used games as I want to do, then I dont need that Console.
I also travel a lot to different countrys and on some stops I make there is no internet connection availible.
And you must connect every 24h with internet to play the offline games ?
Is this a joke ?

BILLI BOY take your xbox one and put it there where the sun never shines !

maybe most of the other people think also that way, we better use only our PC in the future.

DuckOfDeath

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 09:39:00 AM »

They've already backtracked on the used games issue.  Originally they said they would take a fee to re-license a title, now it's an option for 3rd party developers, and will not be charged by Microsoft, and they will not take a cut.  This connect once every 24 hours thing will likely change, too.  Once a week? Once a month?  I'm sure it'll be fine-tuned as the console rolls out.  They've gotta look at what works best as far as customer convenience and what keeps them safe from rampant pirating.  

If I had to guess, it'll likely end up needing a check every week, either online or having you insert your disc.  Seems like a no-brainer to me.

-Duck!

Reaper527

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2013, 09:46:00 AM »

Third party publishers may opt in or out of supporting game resale and may set up business terms or transfer fees with retailers.

so used game sales are indeed going to be quite the crap shoot.

with the newest details, i'm going ps4

rwcottrell

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2013, 12:03:00 PM »

ugly looking box....check.drm.....check.stupid connection rules......check.on the positive side that controller looks sweet.ill be going with ps4 this gen unless they have similar policies and if they do ill be buying a wii u.

ekruob

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2013, 03:36:00 PM »

Is 10 family members, as stated... or 10 family members only on the one console? (note the difference there will be extremely important - many families with several children will have more than one console).

... and the obvious corollary; how do they enforce 'family' versus 'room-mate' / 'distant-cousin' / 'ex-step-sister' / 'guy I met in public house yet now bestie for life' ?!
Pages: [1] 2 3