xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: RUMOR: Xbox ONE to be underclocked by 200Mhz  (Read 398 times)

Kushan

• Archived User
RUMOR: Xbox ONE to be underclocked by 200Mhz
« on: June 05, 2013, 09:02:00 AM »

AMD unveiled its next-generation "Jaguar" low-power CPU micro-architecture for APUs in the 5W - 25W TDP range, targeting everything from tablets to entry-level notebooks, and nettops.

Even assuming that the XB1's core is much faster, that TDP is probably still going to be much lower than even the latest 360 models.

Now, the PS4 is going to use the same Jaguar architecture, just more beefed up. This rumour basically boils down to stating that Microsoft, with all of its billions in R&D, can't produce cooling half as effective as Sony can.

I call bullshit.

steveo1978

• Recovered User
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 12:20:00 PM »

QUOTE(Kushan @ Jun 5 2013, 10:02 AM) View Post

Now, the PS4 is going to use the same Jaguar architecture, just more beefed up. This rumour basically boils down to stating that Microsoft, with all of its billions in R&D, can't produce cooling half as effective as Sony can.

Or it could mean Sony does not care if the PS4 melts or burns down your house.

ekruob

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 04:28:00 AM »

QUOTE(steveo1978 @ Jun 6 2013, 05:20 AM) View Post

Or it could mean Sony does not care if the PS4 melts or burns down your house.

If it's one thing Sony has going for it, it's that their in-house designed and built hardware is generally flawless.

Of all the MiniDiscs, consoles, sound systems, and Blu-ray Disc players I have owned - the only flaws Sony has ever made have been in the software; never the hardware.  They are a hardware shop, first and foremost.

Conversely Microsoft has always been a software power house... they're still learning the ropes with hardware.

u_n_s97

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 12:46:00 PM »

QUOTE(ekruob @ Jun 6 2013, 11:28 AM) View Post

If it's one thing Sony has going for it, it's that their in-house designed and built hardware is generally flawless.

Of all the MiniDiscs, consoles, sound systems, and Blu-ray Disc players I have owned - the only flaws Sony has ever made have been in the software; never the hardware.  They are a hardware shop, first and foremost.

Then you probably did not touch any PS2, Sony TV and HIFI. Some of us who were active on several different PS1/PS2/PS3 sites could tell you horror stories how Sony consoles worked. Their lasers, manufacturing and also the hardware design were quite questionable if you ask me.

Don't get me wrong but Sony just build the same low quality things as other manufacturers do. They do not care about QUALITY but QUANTITY only,  so do the others. Who needs things that work for 10 years when you can sell the very same shit twice or more, as when the warranty is over the repair is not worth the price.

relaxxx

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 03:08:00 PM »

QUOTE(ekruob @ Jun 6 2013, 07:28 AM) View Post

That's got to be the funniest thing I've read all day!

I've gone from doing mostly 360 repairs to mostly PS3 repairs. The last dozen reflows I've done were PS3's and half of those were slims!

rwcottrell

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 12:06:00 PM »

QUOTE(Psyfer9983 @ Jun 7 2013, 02:08 AM) View Post

If the pic above in the original post is what the inside looks like, I see problems in the future. One problem I see right off the bat is not enough space inside to allow much needed air flow. Small size is good and all, but that design is suffocating the CPU/GPU from proper air flow. With that in mind, I also see a hard drive failing sooner that expected due to the heat breakdown. Unless there is fans some where (maybe under the hard drive?) to circulate air, like the fans in the back of the 360, this is going to build up heat rather fast.

i think thats a pic of the insides of an xbox 360 slim.

relaxxx

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 12:13:00 PM »

That's not a slim.

I don't see heat being an issue. I've heard the Xbox THREE's CGPU could possibly run around the same wattage as the 360-S. Probably 25-35% more.  I can tell from the pic that it's got a bigger HS and Fan than the 360-S and it looks like there's a bit more room as well. Look at the fan compared to the drive, it's got to be wider than a game disk. Even if it still runs around the same dangerous temp range, 12V or 9V fan mods should be a snap.

It's certainly not an issue for me at all because the DRM is the deal breaker. I only buy second hand games and with the Xbox THREE online activation, there's essentially no such thing as a used game.

Sony Playstation hardware quality has always been a joke. Insufficient heat sinks and poor airflow and crappy film connectors are not deal breakers for me. If the RAM bus is faster and PSN is free and game disks actually contain a physical offline DRM... then the PS4 is the system I'll eventually buy second hand, someday, maybe.

raceboy404

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 12:37:00 PM »

AMD processor having heat issues? I couldn't have guessed. :l

AG Wolf

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 03:44:00 PM »

I don't think it's unreasonable to consider that sony might have paid people to spread rumors and dissent... the vitriolic and kneejerk attitudes toward the XB1 seem grossly exaggerated.

Kushan

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 02:06:00 AM »

QUOTE(AG Wolf @ Jun 7 2013, 09:44 PM) View Post

I don't think it's unreasonable to consider that sony might have paid people to spread rumors and dissent... the vitriolic and kneejerk attitudes toward the XB1 seem grossly exaggerated.

I've never seen a different reaction to forced DRM, nobody ever takes it well.

Unregistered007

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2013, 04:47:00 AM »

hmm to the people talking shit, do you know that PS4 cpu gpu are going to come in at 28 nm die size, Xbox1 is at what 40 or 45nm.

Kushan

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2013, 04:55:00 AM »

QUOTE(Unregistered007 @ Jun 20 2013, 10:47 AM) View Post

hmm to the people talking shit, do you know that PS4 cpu gpu are going to come in at 28 nm die size, Xbox1 is at what 40 or 45nm.

Source?

Code-Red

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2013, 02:16:00 AM »

I don't see there being too great a problem this generation with heat troubles. Obviously having a 90nm CPU/GPU in the 360 form factor, with the cheap lead-free solder compounding the issues was not a good idea.

If I'm not mistaken, these are probably on a 28 or 32nm process APU, so as long as there is a half-way decent HSF I don't think we'll be seeing RROD problems.