xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Microsoft 'Cloud' Will Quadruple Power of XBOX ONE  (Read 318 times)

bucko

• Recovered User
Microsoft 'Cloud' Will Quadruple Power of XBOX ONE
« on: May 27, 2013, 06:06:00 AM »

Dammm..if only MS could increase my 50GB monthly ISP cap, I would be all for cloud.

notstarman

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 09:07:00 AM »

Yes but using the cloud is dependent on the number of people using it. so during periods of low load their might be an advantage to the cloud connectivity but during the rest of the time. At lunch MS has promised 300,000 servers dedicated to the xbone but they expect to sell 3 million units this fall.  So you will have have at best 10% of a server at any given time. This claim just doesn't hold water. I expect a repeat of the new simcity game.

sabbath_dude

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 09:18:00 AM »

Another brilliant reason to avoid the console. Not only is it riddled with oppressive DRM but in a few years our games won't even function properly because the servers are no longer profitable to keep running. Not to mention the inevitable network overloads, bad connections and downtime for maintenance.

garyopa

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 04:28:00 PM »

QUOTE(notstarman @ May 27 2013, 11:07 AM) View Post

Yes but using the cloud is dependent on the number of people using it. so during periods of low load their might be an advantage to the cloud connectivity but during the rest of the time. At lunch MS has promised 300,000 servers dedicated to the xbone but they expect to sell 3 million units this fall.  So you will have have at best 10% of a server at any given time. This claim just doesn't hold water. I expect a repeat of the new simcity game.

Well it is the old problem in a new age.

Ma Bell when thru it before with 'phone lines', every household had one in a large city, it was the thing to have, it was needed, like water.

But there is not really enough circuits for everyone to be on the 'phone' at the same time, so they play games, they move equipment around, they know percent of people leave homes and go to work, so less lines needed at home, more downtown, etc. -- It was a nightmare, and most of the time it worked, except when there was a reason for massive amount of people to pick up the phone at once to make a call, like when a radio station ran an hot contest, guess what a large percent got 'dead silence' no dialtone, there was not enough circuits.

This is already happening now with the current age of cell phones and sim chips, there is really not enough cell towers and circuits to handle everyone pressing the green button and making a phone call at once, or trying to get one, this has happen a few times like during 911 or other nature attacks like Sandy a few months ago, you can't reach your love ones, you are worried, they can't reach you, so double worry, everyone is safe, but you or they don't know, because no cell connection, so everyone is redialing making it even worse.

The same thing will happen with XB1, the overall the system will function, but when a hot new game gets released at midnight there is going to be massive failures, there already been problems before with hot online games, not everyone can go multiplayer, or when there is a new dashboard update, slowdowns.

elgarlic

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 04:32:00 AM »

I'm glad this site was resurrected just so Gary can cross-post the same horrifically bad writing from Maxconsole.

Bandit5317

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 02:34:00 PM »

QUOTE(notstarman @ May 27 2013, 11:07 AM) View Post

QUOTE(sabbath_dude @ May 27 2013, 11:18 AM) View Post

Another brilliant reason to avoid the console. Not only is it riddled with oppressive DRM but in a few years our games won't even function properly because the servers are no longer profitable to keep running. Not to mention the inevitable network overloads, bad connections and downtime for maintenance.

My thoughts exactly.

ca102455

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 01:14:00 PM »

This is nothing more than PR rubbish.

I'm a software performance tester, I test this kind of stuff all the time. There's just no way cloud services can be used for on the fly computational decisions/calculations whilst gaming. To claim cloud will quadruple the power of the Xbone is dreaming, never mind taking into account network speeds, server loads & computational decisions required to be delivered within milli seconds.

Psyfer9983

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 01:31:00 PM »

QUOTE(ca102455 @ May 30 2013, 02:14 PM) View Post

This is nothing more than PR rubbish.

I'm a software performance tester, I test this kind of stuff all the time. There's just no way cloud services can be used for on the fly computational decisions/calculations whilst gaming. To claim cloud will quadruple the power of the Xbone is dreaming, never mind taking into account network speeds, server loads & computational decisions required to be delivered within milli seconds.

Exactly! I posted earlier about ISPs limiting the amount of bandwidth you can use. This will fail for sure.

relaxxx

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 02:02:00 PM »

Yeah, aside from the massive amount of bandwidth, it is possible. It's basically streaming an HD video signal.

If you somehow are actually interested in cloud gaming / stream, you certainly do not need a $500 machine with extra subscription costs. A $40 Android box, by the same logic, is more powerful than an Xbox3.

Options people, believe it or not you do have options....

Android MK808 running Xbox 360 onlive: