xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: XBOX ONE is unleashed into the world by Microsoft  (Read 943 times)

CC Rider

• Archived User
XBOX ONE is unleashed into the world by Microsoft
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2013, 02:04:00 AM »

Quote: it was all way too much focused on USA, if you don't live like an American, you will not be grabbing an ALL-IN-ONE system called XBOX ONE.

Where's the love for your friends in the USA?

Thanks for the whine & bias.  It fits your Euro-centricity perfectly.

themashedavenger

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2013, 03:09:00 AM »

QUOTE(CC Rider @ May 22 2013, 07:04 PM) View Post

Where's the love for your friends in the USA?

it would appear that ms has ur love, but they've region locked it.
theres plenty of reality to go round though smile.gif

i'm glad i'm not the only one that's very dissapointed

relaxxx

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2013, 05:29:00 AM »

I can't believe they named it Xbox ONE!?

I think they were going to call it "Xbox One Original, There Were No Others, You Were Only Dreaming"...
but they shortened it to just "Xbox ONE".

I'll just call it "I'll never buy ONE".

cyrilic

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2013, 08:54:00 AM »

So I'm guessing with all this online connectivity required to play single player games it's going to be pretty difficult to run 'backups.'  Are the days of modifying optical drive firmware dead?

sabbath_dude

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2013, 09:10:00 AM »

Don't know what to say other than I'm really disappointed. I've been a massive Xbox fan since the start and into video games all my life but I guess I'm just not in Microsoft's target market anymore.  blink.gif

The new system is way too restrictive in terms of DRM. The pre-owned paywall thing and zero backwards compatibility is the main deal breaker for me. Having to rely on the cloud and Microsoft's servers for many features is another reason I won't be picking one up. I also think they're making a big mistake focusing on TV/media over the games. The one advantage and selling point Microsoft have right now is their 360 library and focus on gaming. They're about to piss all that away!

I think I'm now done with console gaming. None of what Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo have to offer interests me anymore. Building a dedicated gaming PC is really looking very appealing to me now. Otherwise I'll just be sticking with my 360 and retro systems  biggrin.gif .

Only if this new system gets hacked and we're able to remove the horrible restrictions will I bite!  pop.gif

ca102455

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2013, 10:48:00 AM »

Looks like an old VHS VCR back from the 90's....

I think im just gonna go back to PC gaming.

scottmuller28

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2013, 04:13:00 PM »

I think this design was for the North Korean market and showed us the wrong One. Anyway I don't use the Kinect at all and sold mine within 2 weeks. I have no interest in commanding via gestures or voice as I just want to do little as possible and start playing games. M$ seem to focus to much on the unimportant aspects of design and win8 is a great example of this. People don't really give a shit how it turns on or how to move through menu system, we just want to have a good gaming experience.

Ranger72

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2013, 05:32:00 PM »

Mah, not too impressed.

PS4's 8GB DDR5 looks to edge out Xbox 1's 8GB DDR3. But specs should be close enough that multi platform games should looks about the same.

sabbath_dude

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2013, 07:54:00 AM »

QUOTE(ekruob @ May 23 2013, 05:01 AM) View Post

I bet the new drives allow firmware verification (direct access to the drive's BIOS chip by the console; i.e. before the drive itself is even powered up) - sure you could still get around it, but that will require a hardware solution not simply a firmware flash (they could also factory-weld the drive cases shut to stop most people opening them up).
The optical drive probably isn't going to be all that important or much of a security risk this time since games never run directly from disc. From what they've said it will only be used once to install software and that's it. On top of that, the constant/frequent online verifications and checks will no doubt make any kind of optical drive exploit a no go.

Maybe this new system will eventually be hacked in the same way as the original. The hard drive is internal, non-upgradable and comes as standard in all systems so maybe we'll see some sort of software exploit?

I think the main issue will probably be getting the console to work 100% offline. In any case I'll bet the system is locked down like nothing we've seen before  ph34r.gif .

Aldanga

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2013, 09:55:00 AM »

Yeah, activation codes will render custom drive firmware obsolete. Unlocking the potential of this console is going to be an interesting ride as Microsoft used the end of this current generation as a test bed for stopping console modification.

If I was to make a guess, the Xbox One will be like the PS3 in terms of its hackability: it's going to take a very long time to find an exploit.

spoone

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2013, 10:05:00 AM »

i don't think this always-online-crap is forced upon us. i'm saying this because there are areas and countries in this world where it's not normal to have an internet connection, or even a broadband connection.
and microsoft will sell it everywhere they can. so if they are that strict like everybody is complaining about, they would cut off some markets to sell XBOX ONE at all. i do not think that they will do that. they always were and always will be in for the money.

Reaper527

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2013, 01:19:00 PM »

QUOTE(sabbath_dude @ May 23 2013, 09:54 AM) View Post

The optical drive probably isn't going to be all that important or much of a security risk this time since games never run directly from disc. From what they've said it will only be used once to install software and that's it. On top of that, the constant/frequent online verifications and checks will no doubt make any kind of optical drive exploit a no go.

Maybe this new system will eventually be hacked in the same way as the original. The hard drive is internal, non-upgradable and comes as standard in all systems so maybe we'll see some sort of software exploit?

I think the main issue will probably be getting the console to work 100% offline. In any case I'll bet the system is locked down like nothing we've seen before  ph34r.gif .

and if the system does eventually get hacked, the way things are looking now, banning a console seems like it would be akin to bricking it (unless a hack is able to override the must connect to live to do anything nature of the system).

garyopa

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2013, 04:29:00 PM »

QUOTE(spoone @ May 23 2013, 12:05 PM) View Post

i don't think this always-online-crap is forced upon us. i'm saying this because there are areas and countries in this world where it's not normal to have an internet connection, or even a broadband connection.
and microsoft will sell it everywhere they can. so if they are that strict like everybody is complaining about, they would cut off some markets to sell XBOX ONE at all. i do not think that they will do that. they always were and always will be in for the money.

Alot of people on many forums I been saying, no, it can't be, Microsoft would never do this, what about all those other countries, they want sales, they don't want to be focused to USA and limit their market and cut off those with HDMI only TV's and non-Internet and block used games, it can't be, it is all a lie, stop the presses, print the truth.

Well here is it, the truth, the worldwide sales of 360:

Canada  - 870,000 as of August 1, 2008   
United States - 25.4 million as of March 31, 2011
EMEA region (Europe, Middle East and Africa) - 13.7 million as of March 31, 2011 (Includes UK sales)
United Kingdom - 8 million as of February 14, 2013
Japan - 1.5 million as of June 17, 2011
Australia & New Zealand - 1 million as of April 19, 2010

Worldwide    77.2 million as of March 31, 2013

In the end, Canada, forgot it, we even stop recording the sales, it is so slow, so whom cares, even Nintendo released more Wii-mini instead of Wii-U to this cold North country most don't even know where is is on the Globe.

Japan, will the 360 failed, it lucky to sell 300 units in one week now after 8 years and tons of cool games, so forgot about XB1 there, we don't need them.

Aussie, the land-down-under formerly a JAIL, what? where? whom? -- and we also stop recording sales due to LOW demand.

Ok, EU there is market, will it is so low, we have to include UK 8 million to bring up the figures to make it look good.

So whats left, the 25 million in USA and the 8 million in UK (reason why UK has alot of TV partners and INDIE store).

That is the market for XB1, sorry to say, everyone else can kiss my ass. -- So long and thanks for your M$ bucks, but we don't care, both USA and UK has strong broadband support, happy customers and DRM loving fans, so we support them first!

defhead

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2013, 05:36:00 PM »

QUOTE(garyopa @ May 24 2013, 09:29 AM) View Post

Alot of people on many forums I been saying, no, it can't be, Microsoft would never do this, what about all those other countries, they want sales, they don't want to be focused to USA and limit their market and cut off those with HDMI only TV's and non-Internet and block used games, it can't be, it is all a lie, stop the presses, print the truth.

Well here is it, the truth, the worldwide sales of 360:
In the end, Canada, forgot it, we even stop recording the sales, it is so slow, so whom cares, even Nintendo released more Wii-mini instead of Wii-U to this cold North country most don't even know where is is on the Globe.

Japan, will the 360 failed, it lucky to sell 300 units in one week now after 8 years and tons of cool games, so forgot about XB1 there, we don't need them.

Aussie, the land-down-under formerly a JAIL, what? where? whom? -- and we also stop recording sales due to LOW demand.

Ok, EU there is market, will it is so low, we have to include UK 8 million to bring up the figures to make it look good.

So whats left, the 25 million in USA and the 8 million in UK (reason why UK has alot of TV partners and INDIE store).

That is the market for XB1, sorry to say, everyone else can kiss my ass. -- So long and thanks for your M$ bucks, but we don't care, both USA and UK has strong broadband support, happy customers and DRM loving fans, so we support them first!

HAHAH great write up.

xmod4u

• Recovered User
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2013, 10:57:00 PM »

Well, Might as well jump in, now that we are getting a bit of action on this old site...

First, the Canadian thing. Well, I honestly don't think Microsoft would deliberately ignore us based on numbers. Besides, 800k units more, is 800k units more! Sales are sales, they add up. Besides the point, thinking that Canada will be left out of the services offered is ignorant.

The look of the system : Well, yeah, it looks like shit! There, i said it. But you know what, in the end it does not really matter. I think reliability is going to be more scrutinized this time around, let's see if I can get at least 5 years of functionality out of it.  

The connection : We all bitch about it, yet, deep down inside we all know the industry is heading towards that either we like or not. Im ok with the system requiring to "connect" when needed, we all have internet. People that don't have internet, couldn't care less about a game console. My only concern about that subject, and I know it's going to be the case, is advertising... we are going to be bombarded with commercial bullshit.

The "activation" : Now, thats where I have an issue with. And yes, its the big debate... Im old school and like a physical product. Now your going to say that I just agreed with the future of "digital era", and I do, but prefer the option then the inevitable. The problem lies with the idea of "needing", or relying should I say, on a company to access a product I purchased. If that said company decides to stop the service for whatever reason, I am left without a product, and that is a problem. And knowing Microsoft and what they did to the first Xbox, im not too confident in investing towards that possibility.
Also, it's all nice trying to kill the "used" market, some agree as they hate on EB/GS and other used game shops all the time, but what about resell value... You the consumer will loose in this concept as well, you buy a 60$ game and finish it in 5hrs, well tough luck buddy, thats the end of that story!

In the end, we can say what we want, we can bitch all day, they are going to do what they want and most people will buy anyways. It's a consumer world and they know how to make you need it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3