xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Do You Get Tired Of Entering Passwords/passcodes?  (Read 2509 times)

Kthulu

• Archived User
Do You Get Tired Of Entering Passwords/passcodes?
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2004, 09:40:00 PM »

@DaggerX

For the administrator I got this:
<LEDColor>Red</LEDColor>
<List Text="Change User...">
<List Text="End User" Batch="True">
<Item Action="AskUser" Arg1="Change Users" Arg2="Are you sure you want to log on as a Guest?"></Item>
<Item Action="Copy" Arg1="C:\config.xml" Arg2="F:\unleashx\profiles\Administrator\config.xml"></Item>
<Item Action="Copy" Arg1="F:\unleashx\profiles\End User\config.xml" Arg2="C:\config.xml"></Item>

<Item Action="Copy" Arg1="C:\evox.ini" Arg2="F:\unleashx\profiles\Administrator\evox.ini"></Item>
<Item Action="Copy" Arg1="F:\unleashx\profiles\End User\evox.ini" Arg2="C:\evox.ini"></Item>

<Item Action="PowerCycle"></Item>
</List>
</List>

For the End User config I got this:
<LEDColor>Red</LEDColor>
<List Text="Change User...">
<List Text="Administrator" Batch="True" Passcode="DRULYB">
<Item Action="AskUser" Arg1="Change Users" Arg2=" You should not change user mode without the permission of this xbox's owner. Do you wish to continue?"></Item>
<Item Action="Copy" Arg1="C:\config.xml" Arg2="F:\unleashx\profiles\End User\config.xml"></Item>
<Item Action="Copy" Arg1="F:\unleashx\profiles\Administrator\config.xml" Arg2="C:\config.xml"></Item>

<Item Action="Copy" Arg1="C:\evox.ini" Arg2="F:\unleashx\profiles\Administrator\evox.ini"></Item>
<Item Action="Copy" Arg1="F:\unleashx\profiles\Administrator\evox.ini" Arg2="C:\evox.ini"></Item>

<Item Action="PowerCycle"></Item>
</List>
</List>

i bet ^that^ gives you some ideas! smile.gif  if it doesn't, let me say this.  you do the same thing with evox that you just did with unleashx...create two different "profiles" (evox.ini files) and place them in those profiles directories you made for unleashx.  no need to put stuff about logging in/out in your evox.ini.  when you log onto unleashx as guest/end user, your unleashx profile gets copied over to unleashx and you evox profile gets copied over to evox.  then, when you launch evox as guest/end user, your guest/end user evox.ini is already there.  same goes for admin/power user.  pretty cool, eh?

NOTE: Your paths may vary.  "C:\evox.ini" in the above should match YOUR path to evox's xbe.  If you need help editing your evox menu (evox.ini), please don't post here.  Post in the EvolutionX forum.  Don't say anything about creating profiles or logging in/out or about using UX when you post there.  that may just confuse them.

Kthulu

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2004, 10:59:00 PM »

ok, i hardly ever use evox and i've used it's built-in settings menu even less...so i forgot it existed.  because it exists, i've edited the "Red Code" above.  if you've been here before this post, you should look at the above post again.

remember, you need to copy one of the evox.ini files to the xbox TWICE.  if you're logged into UX as admin/power user, then you must first manually copy the F:\unleashx\profiles\administrator\evox.ini to C:\evox.ini (or wherever).  if you're logged in as guest/end user, then you'd copy the \guest\evox.ini to C:\evox.ini. you only have to do this manually the first time.  after that, it takes care of itself.

Kthulu

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2004, 11:19:00 PM »

@DaggerX
but i dont want the end user to be able to ftp at all
is there a way to edit that...

i forgot to answer that.  yes, there is.  i assume you took the Settings menu out of the Guest menu (smart move)...so you can't use the dash to configure this aspect of the guest profile.  log in as the admin.  ftp.  edit the guest config.xml in the guest profile folder.  find the place where it says:

<FTP Enable="Yes">
  <Password>xbox</Password>
</FTP>

guess what you need to change?  wink.gif
HINT:  Enable="No" smile.gif

if you don't see anything like that in the config.xml, add it on the next line after </Network>.  if you don't see </Network>, add the FTP stuff on the next line after </Preferences>...surely one of those is in there somewhere.

Jezz_X

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2004, 03:36:00 AM »

Ok well I had a play with this after my nephews came to visit and I discovered that damn recent items (press X in the menu) list will still let them run any app I have recently.  sad.gif (My guest user can only play games stored on the HD) so I changed it abit to give each user ther own recent items list.  Note for this you will have to make a new empty file called recent.dat in the guest dir make sure your running as admin when you start

This ones for the Amin version
CODE

And for the Guest User
CODE

Kthulu

• Archived User
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2004, 10:51:00 AM »

that's cool man!  thanks!  i noticed the Recent list thing before i posted anything on this, but i couldn't figure out how to work with it.  i had found the recent.dat file on the E drive, but when i opened it, it was empty...while my recent list was not empty.  i must have been confused.  anyways, thank you very much!  this is getting added to my menu (i'm prolly just going to delete the file though).

Jezz_X

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2004, 12:31:00 PM »

Delete it is good. But I like using it so keeping a seperate copy for Guest and admin is better for me or at least storeing/restoreing the Admin one dont really care about the guests smile.gif

Kthulu

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2004, 12:55:00 PM »

yeah, the copy is cooler.  i think i'll do that.  here's a warning to everyone tho...

ATTENTION EVERYONE:
always perform the config.xml copying first.  that way if the rest of your batch-list bombs,  the profile will still be in place and you can manually reboot into it.  otherwise, you might find yourself locked into a particular profile.

Kthulu

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2004, 03:24:00 PM »

haha...i'd rather have what's under your name!

captainrk

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2004, 08:53:00 PM »

duplicate, server problems

XboxNia

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2004, 02:45:00 AM »

@captainrk

try adding this in

<List Text="Shutdown" Batch="True">
<Item Action="Copy" Arg1="c:\profiles\guest\config.xml" Arg2="C:\config.xml"></Item>
<Item Action="Shutdown"></Item>
</List>

This way Everytime You Choose ShutDown It Will Transfer The Guest Over So Everytime You Boot It Will Be Guest

Jezz_X

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2004, 05:50:00 AM »

QUOTE (captainrk @ Aug 3 2004, 04:56 AM)
Anyone have any thoughts on how to have the guest or end user profile copied to C: on shutdown so no matter when the xbox is booted it will always boot to guest and the admin will never have to switch to end user or guest before shutting down?  Just an extra precaution yuo forget and don't want anyone to have access to the admin options.

Well XboxNia is almost right though you might want to backup the admin one first so if you using the version I posted with each person having ther own recent list
try this

CODE

if not then make sure you add this

CODE

before the first copy in XboxNia's version

Kthulu

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2004, 03:54:00 PM »

all of this trouble because you can't remember to 'log on as guest' when you're through using the xbox laugh.gif why would you be more likely to remember to 'shutdown'?  what if you forget that too and just press the power button? laugh.gif

YipYip

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2004, 01:44:00 PM »

QUOTE (captainrk @ Aug 3 2004, 04:56 AM)
Anyone have any thoughts on how to have the guest or end user profile copied to C: on shutdown so no matter when the xbox is booted it will always boot to guest and the admin will never have to switch to end user or guest before shutting down?  Just an extra precaution yuo forget and don't want anyone to have access to the admin options.

Well, if you always want it to go to the guest profile after a reboot, you could just create an extra copy of UnleashX with the Admin profile (and password protect that Item link).  You could make a backup of the recent.dat file before launching the "Admin" copy of UnleashX.  However, to restore it, you'd need a way to automatically execute a batch item on startup.  Unfortunately, I don't think UnleashX supports that (I'm not sure), but I think that would be a good request (another use could be to automatically clear caches to save disk space).

PsYcHo_SiB

• Archived User
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2004, 03:11:00 PM »

Woot that script is awesome, work sweet smile.gif

Kthulu

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2004, 10:11:00 PM »

as 'admin' you have great power.  with great power comes great responsibility.  you must still remember to delete the recent.dat before you power off when you are logged in as admin.  here are my true thoughts, that are not meant to ridicule or piss anyone off, but so be it if they do...

if it's really important that the xbox start from power off and load the guest profile, you should be able to remember to 'login as guest' before you shutdown.  if you can't remember to 'login as guest' (which = 'logoff as admin') before you shutdown and this is important to you, then maybe you shouldn't be an admin.  if you can't be troubled to do this before shutdown, well, it must not be that important.

of course, an autoexec feature would be awesome for lots of purposes beside this and i would love to see that implemented too.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4