xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Do You Get Tired Of Entering Passwords/passcodes?  (Read 2586 times)

Kthulu

• Archived User
Do You Get Tired Of Entering Passwords/passcodes?
« on: July 24, 2004, 07:18:00 PM »

Do mulitple persons use your xbox?  If so you have prolly password protected lots of stuff.  But when YOU are using the xbox, entering those passwords can become tedious.  Here's an idea for ya...

CREATE YOUR PROFILE
get your current config.xml config'd as if you were the only person that was going to use your xbox. (take out all the passwords) then create a folder somewhere called Profiles.  create a subfolder within it for YOU.  copy the config.xml into it.

CREATE A USER PROFILE
configure a new config.xml with only the menu items you'd want your guests to have.  goto that Profiles folder.  create a subfolder for guest.  copy the config.xml into it.

now, add something like the following to the menu section of both of those config.xmls:

POWER USER CONFIG.XML
CODE

Red

GUEST USER CONFIG.XML
CODE

NOTE:  i'm using PowerCycle instead of Reboot because <LEDColor>Default</LEDColor>will not change the LED color.  it simply leaves it alone.  when use something like xselector, LED would not get set back to Green on reboot.  if Unleash see's this maybe he could add <LEDColor>Green</LEDColor> as an option.  however, with the new quick-launch features, i may just get rid of xselector.  on the other hand, you don't have to change the LED color at all.  i just thought it was a simple, but clear way to indicate which 'user-mode' the xbox is in.

you could further expand the batch-lists to copy different config files around for other apps or use it to backup/load certain game-save files etc.

If this needs further explanation, if you think this is a useful idea, or if you have some ideas to add to it, please post!

flattspott

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2004, 08:38:00 PM »

Dude that idea rocks, MXM is well suited for this too  <

Kthulu

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2004, 08:46:00 PM »

thanks!  yeah, with MXM, one could get REALLY crafty with it...
 <

Gus Man

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2004, 07:15:00 PM »

That is a very nice idea.  beerchug.gif

Instinct[DA]

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2004, 01:17:00 AM »

very nice..... i think this should deserve a sticky or whatever.......  <

Daggerx

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2004, 02:25:00 PM »

this is awesome
i needed something like this for my wife

thanx man

its amazing what u find just reading.. :beer:   <

Kthulu

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2004, 10:40:00 PM »

hey, i'm glad some people got some use out of this.  i love it myself for whenever i have guests or my gf's son comes over.  i've changed terminology above to be more politically correct.  the original wording was not meant to be actually used in your menus.  the terms 'dumb user' and 'dumb relatives' were only used for illustration.

Daggerx

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2004, 08:01:00 AM »

Im in the Wilderness right now...help

Here is the challenge that im having
My unleash is running from the c drive
I created the unleashx\profiles\Administrator\config.xml
And unleashx\profiles\End USer\config.xml
In the F Drive.

For the administrator I got this:

<LEDColor>Red</LEDColor>
<List Text="Change User...">
<List Text="End User" Batch="True">
<Item Action="AskUser" Arg1="Change Users" Arg2="Are you sure you want to log on as a Guest?"></Item>
<Item Action="Copy" Arg1="C:\config.xml" Arg2="F:\unleashx\profiles\Administrator\config.xml"></Item>
<Item Action="Copy" Arg1="F:\unleashx\profiles\End User\config.xml" Arg2="C:\config.xml"></Item>
<Item Action="PowerCycle"></Item>
</List>
</List>

For the End User config I got this:

<LEDColor>Red</LEDColor>
<List Text="Change User...">
<List Text="Administrator" Batch="True" Passcode="DRULYB">
<Item Action="AskUser" Arg1="Change Users" Arg2=" You should not change user mode without the permission of this xbox's owner.  Do you wish to continue?"></Item>
<Item Action="Copy" Arg1="C:\config.xml" Arg2="F:\unleashx\profiles\End User\config.xml"></Item>
<Item Action="Copy" Arg1="F:\unleashx\profiles\Administrator\config.xml" Arg2="C:\config.xml"></Item>
<Item Action="PowerCycle"></Item>
</List>
</List>

on the HDD I have 3 config files for ux
1 in the c (where my ux os is)
1 in the admin folder
and 1 in the Enduser folder

but this is not working for me

please suggest some things I need to edit or reconfig.

:blink:
 <

Kthulu

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2004, 10:17:00 AM »

everything you posted above looks good.  when you say it's not working, i'm assuming the menus aren't changing when you change users. if that's what you mean, try this...

give f:\unleashx\profiles\administrator\config.xml and f:\unleashx\profiles\end user\config.xml another look and make sure the menus are indeed the way you want them.  then just to avoid any problems/confusion etc in a simple way...  launch some other app on the xbox that has ftp.  then ftp into the xbox and copy the admin config to the C drive.  after this initial, manual setup, everything should work right as long as the xml is right.

if you don't want to ftp, launch some other app with a file manager (like Avalaunch or Boxplorer or XBMC) and use it to copy the admin config to C drive.

captainrk

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2004, 07:40:00 PM »

If I wanted UnleashX to load to the "Guest" xml upon initial boot, do I put the "Guest" config.xml file in C:?  Also, instead of a Powercycle can I just do a "Reboot" to get to the "Administrator" config.xml dash?  <

Kthulu

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2004, 09:50:00 PM »

QUOTE (captainrk @ Jul 29 2004, 08:32 PM)
If I wanted UnleashX to load to the "Guest" xml upon initial boot, do I put the "Guest" config.xml file in C:?  Also, instead of a Powercycle can I just do a "Reboot" to get to the "Administrator" config.xml dash?

yes to both questions

if you're not using the LEDColor as an indicator, you can do a Reboot in both places.  i've stopped using PowerCycle and LEDColor myself...the menus themselves tell you which user you're logged on as.

captainrk

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2004, 11:25:00 PM »

Thanks! Kthulu.  I love this feature thanks for providing the xml info.  I only wish I didn't have to options on my Menu to change user.  <

Daggerx

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2004, 05:58:00 AM »

Thankx so much
as of Thurs. i got it working
i did everything you said
i even gave my wife the low down on what i was doing
she has her own settings as the end user
and i got all the programs and apps under the admin profile

one thing i was trying to do though:

i ftp'd under the admin folder and it works ( i want that)

but i dont want the end user to be able to ftp at all
is there a way to edit that...

In the End User prolile i wanted to add evox but my evox
is link to every single thing that the admin has access to.
the reason i want evox on the end user prolife is so i dont have
to go to the admin to access evox for trainers..
n e suggestions..

other than that ....
you're awesome dude..that is great..if feel so much better now
Thanks for all your help, longsuffering and assistance.

cool.gif

XboxNia

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2004, 04:22:00 PM »

ok im lost here im interested in doing this but when i make the 2 files Guest and Power User In C:\profiles\poweruser\config.xml  / C:\profiles\guest\config.xml

i got everything there but when i reboot i dont get the option of what ones to do..
im assuming the config.xml in main C: that it initially reads doesnt see that 2 dirs.. what am i supposed to add to that config.xml to make it see the Power and the Guest so i can get the option of what to goto? or did i go about this all wrong

Kthulu

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2004, 09:04:00 PM »

QUOTE (XboxNia @ Jul 30 2004, 06:25 PM)
ok im lost here im interested in doing this but when i make the 2 files Guest and Power User In C:\profiles\poweruser\config.xml  / C:\profiles\guest\config.xml

i got everything there but when i reboot i dont get the option of what ones to do..
im assuming the config.xml in main C: that it initially reads doesnt see that 2 dirs.. what am i supposed to add to that config.xml to make it see the Power and the Guest so i can get the option of what to goto? or did i go about this all wrong

@XboxNia
give C:\profiles\poweruser\config.xml and C:\profiles\guest\config.xml another look and make sure the menus are indeed the way you want them. then just to avoid any problems/confusion etc in a simple way... launch some other app on the xbox that has ftp. then ftp into the xbox and copy the Power User config to the C drive. after this initial, manual setup, everything should work right as long as the xml is right.

if you don't want to ftp, launch some other app with a file manager (like Avalaunch or Boxplorer or XBMC) and use it to copy the admin config to C drive.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4