xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Wmv To Xmv Converter  (Read 1690 times)

unleashx

• Archived User
Wmv To Xmv Converter
« on: January 15, 2004, 12:40:00 AM »

Here's something I whipped up very quickly. WMV2XMV is now up at xbins. The sourcecode (VB6) is included for those who want to expand it. This is a GUI wrapper to MS' tool, called XMVtool, which converts WMV8 encoded video file to XMV. XMV, as you probably know, plays a lot better on Xbox. The tool can convert both video and audio, or just vidoe only. It can be xpanded to do more but somebody has to walk that path.

If there's a bug, call Micro.soft biggrin.gif

If you are using other dash with video playback capability, then you don't have to use this tool. UnleashX can use the same file. The current release has a little problem playing wmv but I heared from the grapevine that the WIP build is working great. rolleyes.gif

edit: it's under the "tools" folder.

This post has been edited by unleashx: Jan 15 2004, 08:41 AM

ampedXR

• Recovered User
Wmv To Xmv Converter
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2004, 05:29:00 AM »

GREAT INFO! I needed this! Thanks!

Yuyu

• Archived User
Wmv To Xmv Converter
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2004, 05:28:00 AM »

Great news, awsome work, I was wanting to use a tool like this before. Now if we could only have someone make that coveted XMV to WMV converter.  wink.gif

DreCon

• Archived User
Wmv To Xmv Converter
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2004, 05:32:00 AM »

QUOTE (Yuyu @ Jan 15 2004, 03:28 PM)
Now if we could only have someone make that coveted XMV to WMV converter.  wink.gif

Thats what I need!

I want to convert the xbox audio to like a wav or MP3, any way to do this yet?

gromit182

• Archived User
Wmv To Xmv Converter
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2004, 05:51:00 AM »

I can't seem to find it at xbins. Am I missing something?

unleashx

• Archived User
Wmv To Xmv Converter
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2004, 06:52:00 AM »

It's under UnleashX/Tools/XMVConverter.rar

ampedXR

• Recovered User
Wmv To Xmv Converter
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2004, 10:58:00 AM »

The program converts to xmv as a dream!
However, one problem! When saved as "preview.xmv" and dumped into the game dir it WONT auto play it. You can view it from the file manager only. When I had the same video as a wmv it would preview, but it was choppy.

Is there a reason why it wont preview?

This post has been edited by ampedXR: Jan 15 2004, 07:22 PM

XBoxgeek

• Archived User
Wmv To Xmv Converter
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2004, 11:09:00 AM »

@UnleashX great work. I guess this is not based around the version I sent to you (the one PanamaPaul whipped up). If not did that one not work out?

Cheers
Xboxgeek

unleashx

• Archived User
Wmv To Xmv Converter
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2004, 03:34:00 PM »

@ampedXR,

Delete rename it back to xmv then Items.xml. You have to do this (for now) everytime you switch from wmv to xmv, or vice-versa.

ampedXR

• Recovered User
Wmv To Xmv Converter
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2004, 06:07:00 PM »

QUOTE (unleashx @ Jan 15 2004, 07:27 PM)
@ampedXR,

Delete rename it back to xmv then Items.xml. You have to do this (for now) everytime you switch from wmv to xmv, or vice-versa.

thanks for the info but i kinda am confused lol. What exsactly do you mean by "delete rename it". If i delete it then theres nothing to rename..  blink.gif

unleashx

• Archived User
Wmv To Xmv Converter
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2004, 06:31:00 PM »

Damn, sorry, the keyboard got confused  biggrin.gif  It should be "Rename it back to xmv then delete Items.xml"

If you switch between xmv and wmv, you need to delete items.xml, which can be found in the same folder as the dash.

Yuyu

• Archived User
Wmv To Xmv Converter
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2004, 06:50:00 PM »

QUOTE (unleashx @ Jan 15 2004, 10:31 PM)
Damn, sorry, the keyboard got confused  biggrin.gif  It should be "Rename it back to xmv then delete Items.xml"

If you switch between xmv and wmv, you need to delete items.xml, which can be found in the same folder as the dash.

tongue.gif I thought to myself also, "What would you rename, if there is nothing there to rename after you delete it ?" Then after 3 seconds of pondering that, I realized what you must have meant, the sad pasrt of the story being.... I had all intentions of going and deleting my .wmv file then renaming it for that full 3 seconds, then when it hit what I was supposed to do, I felt the lameness overtaking me   dry.gif ....

Anyways, did what your new post, says to do now, but I did it earlier... Works like a gem, awsome stuff....

Now back to my first reply, Where's the .xmv to .wmv converter? The scene needs this tool, so we can see all those nice vids "borrowed" and put into our dashboards as skins and preview vids...

unleashx

• Archived User
Wmv To Xmv Converter
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2004, 07:18:00 PM »

QUOTE (Yuyu @ Jan 16 2004, 04:50 AM)
Now back to my first reply, Where's the .xmv to .wmv converter? The scene needs this tool, so we can see all those nice vids "borrowed" and put into our dashboards as skins and preview vids...

Let's wait till MS release one biggrin.gif . No seriously, the above converter is just a GUI wrapper for MS stuff.

Plus, I wouldn't recommend converting wmv to xmv for people who uses multiple dash, even though it plays better. Sure, current release of UnleashX has a prob with WMV playback, but you should see some improvement with the next release. I want all(?) dash to support one file/same naming convention and I haven't changed my views on that. Ain't it cool to see your custom icon or preview vids play on all dashes stored on your HD? It is, right? So I hope they follow my lead on this. It's so easy to support, say, "default.png", in addition to "this_is_my_dash_icon.png" or "default.wmv" and also "this_is_my_dash_preview.wmv" -you know what I mean. It's for all of us, anyways. A megabyte saved IS a megabyte saved. wink.gif

To simplify my point, MXM users shouldn't convert their vids to xmv just to play it in UX. I'd rather you wait till I fix the issue, than have you waste precious disk space. Unless, you're one of the lucky few who have 300GB and wouldn't mind wasting a few MB? Or maybe, you could ask BenJeremy to support XMV, then we could both drop the clunky WMV format ph34r.gif

Yuyu

• Archived User
Wmv To Xmv Converter
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2004, 07:34:00 PM »

Unless, you're one of the lucky few who have 300GB and wouldn't mind wasting a few MB?

5 Xbox' , 4 250 GB Maxtor, 1 300 GB Maxtor ( All thanks to my brother, $65 a piece)  So yes I did test with alomst all my vids converted and it worked,like I said before, like a gem...

Or maybe, you could ask BenJeremy to support XMV, then we could both drop the clunky WMV format 

Yes maybe the suggestion should be thrown out there to BJ to include .xmv support.

But... on most of my testing the file size of the PV's came out larger than its .wmv counterpart, is this supposed to happen ? Its the only downside I see, as I'm not sure users would like to have PV's taking up more precious HD real estate ?

But... I fully support this idea of .xmv, just because they did play with ease in my limited testing...

Now then to throw the idea around over in the home team locker room, better get out of the visitor's locker room, before you guys throw me in the showers without a towel  unsure.gif

unleashx

• Archived User
Wmv To Xmv Converter
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2004, 07:45:00 PM »

Yeah, XMV will be bigger than WMV primarily because of the higher bitrate, which makes it play a lot better. Loads fast too. Heck it takes more time to load a 720x480, 300kb+ JPEG that it is to load a 140MB+ xmv.

But the wasted HD space will be more if people would keep both WMV and XMV versions of their PV -that's my point.

5 xboxes with 250GB+ each? Damn, what are you trying to achieve? biggrin.gif
Pages: [1] 2