xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12

Author Topic: Was Your 360 Banned From Live Recently (after Oct 28th)?  (Read 4571 times)

XanTium

• Archived User
Was Your 360 Banned From Live Recently (after Oct 28th)?
« on: November 05, 2009, 07:25:00 PM »

feel free to vote/discuss.
(note ... option7 (don't know, stayed off LIVE) was added later on request, ~380 votes were in already)

iateshaggy

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 07:52:00 PM »

first up.  i have a banned benny.  i guess no sammys yet cuz they suck and most have died of old age.  wonder why the same hasn't happened for craptachis.

This post has been edited by iateshaggy: Nov 6 2009, 03:53 AM

Ericn84

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 08:37:00 PM »

Only me and one other person dont have modified firmware? sad.gif

Puffer

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 08:55:00 PM »

Needs a slot for "Refuse to log in to get banned".  I have a Lite-On and I doubt I have been banned, but it is not worth losing my HDD to log in to see.

MrBlonde

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 09:52:00 PM »

Rockin a LiteOn modded with 1.6.  Played a few games in the last few days with no problem.  Even on live.  ODST and GTA.  No problems.  Even beat MW2 campaign offline, no network no HDD attached about 3 times now.  No problem connecting after each.  Now I do let the internal clock reset to 2005/11/22 (or whatever) before I play MW2.  Dont know if that does anything, but all seems well so far.

This post has been edited by MrBlonde: Nov 6 2009, 05:52 AM

sephiroth99

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2009, 09:57:00 PM »

QUOTE(Ericn84 @ Nov 6 2009, 04:37 AM) View Post

now we are 3! laugh.gif

Bearhug

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 10:19:00 PM »

It seems the Aussie wave just hit yesterday with quite a few Aussies all getting banned consoles at about the same time.

Ok here is the thing, there are very few differences between the people getting banned and not (I know as I've done the modding and supplied the backup equipment to a handful of people and have checked in with them on the status).  In seems less people have been banned so far than have (it would be about 40% banned 60% not (This is only taking into account about 20 people that I personally know the setups etc of)).

No one that has never used a non-self created backup has yet been banned (So there is something in that for everyone whinging).  Everyone that played pirated games before release were lucky enough to get banned.  

I unfortunately chose to preview a game shortly before my retail copy arrived in the post and am thinking thats the culprit as it's the only difference between myself (who now has a nice polite xbox telling we I'm naughty when I attempt to sign into live) and several mates who have all other factors the same and are currently playing on live and having fun.

At least it came at a good time as there are some great console offers around at the moment.

It will be interesting to see if additonal bans are handed out over the coming weeks, so at this stage it still seems a little to early to speculate how the bans are being applied.  (But it's really not a good idea to arr arr my maties if you want to continue using live, so support the delevopers that make the games you love and buy the original).

walterg74

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2009, 06:58:00 AM »

QUOTE(Ericn84 @ Nov 6 2009, 01:37 AM) View Post

So... what are you doing hanging out at xbox "scene" forums with unmodified firmware...?  cool.gif

Paitor

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2009, 07:24:00 AM »

QUOTE(Puffer @ Nov 6 2009, 05:55 AM) View Post

Needs a slot for "Refuse to log in to get banned".  I have a Lite-On and I doubt I have been banned, but it is not worth losing my HDD to log in to see.
+1 for an extra alternative.
Yep, I havn't eaven dared to start my xbox tongue.gif

tripaschief

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2009, 07:25:00 AM »

muhaha.gif  Danm it !!! Its plany valid True... you dont have to worry if you have modified firmware but play games on live with auto fix 3 abgx360gui, its PROVED !!! MODIFIED GAMES BAN FROM THE LIVE not the firmware hack... 'im safe for now only Auto fixed 3 games and some originals... and no unreleased games in my 1.51 Lite-on drive...

B-BALL

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2009, 01:11:00 PM »

I have a mate that was banned from Xbox Live and people who saying you HDD is messed up after isnt true his is still working fine on other consoles just not the one that is banned i hope this helps some people out.

nastyn8

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2009, 01:31:00 PM »

QUOTE(B-BALL @ Nov 6 2009, 02:11 PM) View Post

I have a mate that was banned from Xbox Live and people who saying you HDD is messed up after isnt true his is still working fine on other consoles just not the one that is banned i hope this helps some people out.

To clear up the HDD questions.....you will most likely lose all your games saves. You have to reformat on a nonbanned console and never use it on a banned console ever again. Once you make a game save on a banned console It will corrupt your profile and you will have to reformat again. Some have said as long as they didn't save anything after the ban they could transfer their game saves back after they reformatted.

Ex. Put all your important game saves on your comp. or a mem card and reformat your HDD on a non banned console, recover your gamertag, then transfer your saves back on the non banned console. It has been this way every time the ban hammer has hit.

gsharpshooter

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2009, 01:35:00 PM »

I don't have a modified firmware (wish I did though) but this is just so stupid MS banning consoles now makes the console paper weight. There are so many people on ebay probably getting ripped off getting banned consoles saying "this console is banned from xbox live". Why not just ban that one user with his gamertag from that one console rendering his gamertag useless only on that console but let everyone who isn't pirating use that console instead of making the entire console useless to everyone its such a waste of good technology....

DivinedSin

• Archived User
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2009, 03:25:00 PM »

QUOTE(gsharpshooter @ Nov 6 2009, 12:35 PM) *

I don't have a modified firmware (wish I did though) but this is just so stupid MS banning consoles now makes the console paper weight. There are so many people on ebay probably getting ripped off getting banned consoles saying "this console is banned from xbox live". Why not just ban that one user with his gamertag from that one console rendering his gamertag useless only on that console but let everyone who isn't pirating use that console instead of making the entire console useless to everyone its such a waste of good technology....

There are several "kinds" of Xbox users, and they all have different kinds of gaming habits/preferences.  For example, I care about my gamertag and my gamerscore, and getting my system swapped out isn't a problem for me; I have the resources to change out my console as many times as necessary.  Thus, if they banned my gamertag, it would truly be a proper punishment for me.  However, there are others where their gamertag is basically meaningless.  I know people that use an exploit to get free Xbox Live by starting a new gamertag every month.  So to them, gamertag banning would be meaningless and Microsoft would accomplish nothing by doing that to that person.  

You do make a good point though, one that I have been contemplating since these bans have started up again.  I communicate with a lot of people from the "scene" in my community and all of them are finding ways to get their consoles replaced.  Wal-Marts, Best Buys, GameStops, Targets, etc. are all unknowingly taking back banned consoles.  In the short term, this is awesome, we all get to keep playing our games, but these systems all eventually get back to Microsoft and, again, it's a two-pronged reaction:  

One, Microsoft will get this influx of useless systems that they will either have to unban and redistribute, or if they keep to their word and never unban, rescrap the parts and do whatever they do to make that cost effective.  My first impression of this was that Microsoft shot themselves in the foot by banning consoles because, as everyone knows, this community is incredibly resourceful, and now, as thanks for banning our systems, we send them back to you courtesy of Wally and Geoffrey Giraffe, and keep doing what you banned us for intially.  Basically, you burdened us with inconvenience while we burdened you with incommensurate man-hours to ban us in the first place, to the retailers that unknowingly took our defunct systems, and to your already-busy-with-rroDs repair department for them to find out the only thing wrong with the system is that its banned.  

This brings me to part two of that reaction, and that is how Microsoft will respond to this cost that they will be bearing, and the steps they will take to try and ensure it doesn't happen again.  I say try because, to reiterate, the pirating community is resilient, and will always find a way, but I certainly don't want to see more robust and thorough warranty checks and new equipment to verify bans, etc.  One reason I don't want to see it is because I used to work for a GameStop and trading in systems is not a well-oiled machine.  There aren't any real rules or regulations to checking them and any extra steps make the whole process longer and more arduous for the employee and the customer.  That's just one example but my main point is that this action/reaction inertia sways back and forth and one could make the argument that pirates pushed first, Microsoft banned, pirates push back, and so on and so forth.  I'm sure someone will also say Microsoft pushed first for charging $60 a game and cite the RRoD fiasco and blah blah but if you focus on that part you're missing the point: Piracy is a cat & mouse game, but this whole console banning and the subsequent reactions to it add a new element, and that is that Microsoft may actually incur further costs by banning consoles that play pirated games, while piracy itself loses a lot of money originally.  

It's obviously my opinion, but I'm a bit concerned about how Microsoft will respond to how ineffective their solutions to combat piracy really are, especially when they begin getting a rush of consoles and have to now spend money on that.  Say what you want about Microsoft, but they are a sleeping giant.  Then again, pirates aren't no pushovers, either.

This post has been edited by DivinedSin: Nov 6 2009, 11:38 PM

B-BALL

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2009, 04:03:00 PM »

thanks for the info nastyn8 ill let him know not to save anything intill he has new console.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12