xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Is The 'new Xbox Experience' Dashboard An Improvement?  (Read 2477 times)

narcan

• Archived User
Is The 'new Xbox Experience' Dashboard An Improvement?
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2008, 04:11:00 AM »

Where as I loved the first xbox dash, I really disliked the blades on the 360. This is a little better, I'd wish they built on the old dash though as it had lots of potential.

LockmanSal

• Archived User
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2008, 08:31:00 AM »

i like the HDD Play Feature , i hate how the dash looks , i want to keep my current dashboard.

thepunisher302

• Archived User
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2008, 06:26:00 PM »

I wonder if they'll add virtual console games and a motion sensitive controller.

Bon Scott

• Archived User
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2008, 07:01:00 PM »

I think it's an improvement anyway. The present dashboard is fine, but it is a little limited for sure.

XBOX360NYMODING

• Recovered User
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2008, 10:54:00 PM »

love the idea for adding the games content to the hard drive. one game that needs this is test drive. the one part of the game that always messes up on me is the WORLD TOUR i could be in first place and the gfx go crazy and then i'm in like 4th pisses me off as this could have been sloved with loading files to the hd before hand and having the game run from there instead of seeking the disc.

for all the other crap added to the dash its not anything i care for. the biggest thing is the hdd copy content option. all for that

AzBat

• Archived User
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2008, 11:28:00 AM »

For all those naysayers, on Major Nelson's podcast he mentioned that the new avatars and the new look of the dashboard are completely optional. He said everything that you can do now on the dashboard can also  be done straight from the new mini-blade type Xbox Guide. So there would be no need for you to go to the new dashboard to access Marketplace, etc. You can also stick to just using a Gamerpic instead of an Avatar. So if you don't like all the new stuff, well there's no need to complain, you don't have to look at it.

BTW, if the poll results are any indication, it looks like most people don't have a problem with the new interface. Seems only the the small minority are being the vocal Debbie Downers. LOL

Tommy McClain

Red_Frog

• Archived User
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2008, 05:15:00 PM »

QUOTE(AzBat @ Jul 17 2008, 10:42 AM) View Post
it was getting bloated, cumbersome and didn't take advantage of all the screen real estate.

Ok, everything makes sense now. So instead of using the entire screen we'll only be using some of the screen, filling up the rest with barren "3D" garbage, and having options disappear as you scroll despite using a fraction of the screen. Plus we're going to shrink the current blade to make absolutely certain it's useless, even though it was just fine before.

Wait, that didn't make any sense at all.

sirsmacketh

• Archived User
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2008, 08:43:00 PM »

QUOTE(africamagical @ Jul 17 2008, 01:38 AM) View Post

it looks terrible, if i want that mii bs id get a wii

go get one then asshole.

QUOTE(MrFish @ Jul 18 2008, 04:08 PM) View Post

Never, ever, ever, ever going to happen.

The reason they can knock out these games at $50 is because all these disks are the same. For this kind of scheme to work the disks have to not be the same. Which means they can't be $50.
-But Bill? What about the way it works on the PC, where you get a disk and a code?
- That's retarded. The very idea of a console game with product keys is the most completely retarded thing I've heard of in my entire life. If the disk works without the code, then they've just given you two copies for the price of one. If the disk doesn't work without the code, then why bother with the disk at all? Just sell scratchcards that you can use to get the game off LIVE.

This has been confirmed a number of times by MS execs already. So yes it will happen. Is it mandatory? No. Just like the rest of the features in the new Live Experience, they're not shoving crap down your throat that you absolutely must use from now on. You all have a choice not to use it. Blades? still there in the Guide Menu (smaller and easier to navigate to your items). Themes? Gamerpics? Available. Avatar? Not mandatory.

What everyone seems to ignore is the fact MS is giving you a choice to use something for once.

trentdadi

• Archived User
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2008, 11:21:00 PM »

This has been confirmed a number of times by MS execs already. So yes it will happen. Is it mandatory? No. Just like the rest of the features in the new Live Experience, they're not shoving crap down your throat that you absolutely must use from now on. You all have a choice not to use it. Blades? still there in the Guide Menu (smaller and easier to navigate to your items). Themes? Gamerpics? Available. Avatar? Not mandatory.

What everyone seems to ignore is the fact MS is giving you a choice to use something for once.

Thanks for summing that up, you hit all the points, yet people will still complain.

wassco

• Archived User
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2008, 10:52:00 AM »

QUOTE(AzBat @ Jul 17 2008, 11:42 AM) View Post

From the screenshots GamerScore Blog they will be. The NXE(New Xbox Experience) still supports all the dashboard themes and gamerpics. Supposedly you're not required to use the avatar.

First let me say, that I really liked the blade dashboard interface. However, it was getting bloated, cumbersome and didn't take advantage of all the screen real estate. So, it was very difficult in finding content in Marketplace and the Games Library(Live Arcade, etc). With that said I'm all for fixing those problems. So if that means replacing the blades, then so be it. Remember all the feature requests and fixes we all wanted? Remember all the rumored updates that was suppose to be in the Spring update? Can you seriously think all that could be done with the blade interface without making it worse? I don't think so.

Microsoft saw that the market was moving into a different direction than how they originally visioned the blade interface. This change is due in part to the popularity of the Wii and PS3. Believe it or not they have some influence. The amount is up for debate, but there's no denying they have an effect. I'm glad Microsoft saw that and took the initiative to revolutionize the experience.

The question is now: does the NXE succeed in fixing the problems and adding new features we want? I can't say for sure, but I think it's heading in the right direction. A lot people complain about the avatars, but personally I'm glad they're offering such a new experience. It will bring more casual gamers to the platform and that's always good. If the system stayed stagnant and was just always a hardcore platform then the system would have failed. Something had to be done to combat the unique elements of Wii(Miis, channels) and PS3(XMB, Home). I personally don't see how the NXE is a direct copy of either of those. It looks more like a progression of Media Center with a big influence from Apple TV Take 2.

What about the new features?

* Play from hard drive - I absolutely love this idea. Kudos to Microsoft for offering this! Yes, I know most complain about the need for the disc. But they had to do something to combat piracy. I do however see them improving this as time goes on. I could see them offering DRM for the disk that's associated with your GamerTag and system. That way you can transfer the license from the disc to the box. This way you no longer need the disc.

* Access to the Marketplace via the Xbox.com web site - About time! Now I can see what's available and queue up downloads remotely. Thank Sony for implementing that feature or we may not have gotten it.

* Live Party - About time too! smile.gif Just chatting one-on-one cross game wasn't enough. Can't wait for this. However, it looks like it will only be voice and text. No mention on how video plays into it. I understand why they can't do 8 people video chat, but it would be cool if they offered 2 or 4.

* Live Primetime - Sounds neat. I always thought they would have something like this when PGR3 first came out with Gotham TV. Plus, remember they announced last March to bring unique original TV shows. I'm sure this channel will be used for that.

* Avatars - Like I said before, I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully I'll be able to dress my avatar as Batman. Ideas that were thrown around was that games could use achievements to unlock items for your Avatar. Also, supposedly other companies other than Rare will be able to make avatars too. There's a lot of opportunity here for cool stuff.

Finally, to all the complainers out there about the NXE. I'm sure most of you were also the ones who complained about the many failings of the blade interface too. You can't have your cake and it eat too. If you admit that things needed to be seriously fixed, then have an open mind when you first try the new update. Because after awhile you might actually realize that the change was well worth it.

Tommy McClain

That was a great post! i agree completly, wish more people would post there opinions like this!

the new theme, i agree looks bland as crap....but...i hate the MIIc hannel shit, and unfortnatly became accustomed to the ps3 XMB  biggrin.gif

1) XMB
2) Blades
3)NXE
100th) nintendo crap

QUOTE(trentdadi @ Jul 22 2008, 01:57 AM) View Post

I dont know if anyone remembers UnleashX but if MS copies a dash, that is what they should be copying.  That dash was beautiful and easy.
Thanks for summing that up, you hit all the points, yet people will still complain.

Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes 100000x over yes!

nothing compares to UnleashX (where the hell is my old xbox...)

JUANVAN

• Archived User
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2008, 12:26:00 PM »

You can always go to the old version.
I am looking forward to this, it may look like or do things like others but its way better looking then those blades.

gasclown

• Archived User
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2008, 07:41:00 PM »

I like it. I like the look of the current blades but they just don't function as simply as they should... if it takes an interface overhaul to let me access feature and content more easily, I'm all for it.

I agree with a couple of the posters here.  Xbox1 dash was great. Would have been nice if they built on that _theme_ for the 360.

CF01

• Archived User
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2008, 12:02:00 AM »

i think its a good idea im looking forward to it

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2008, 05:29:00 AM »

Party feature is the only good thing imho we don't even get netflix

iceman72

• Archived User
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2008, 12:49:00 PM »

I swear this site is full of a bunch of whinning babies. Bottom line is that I see all these new features (if they work smooth and as stated) as upgrades and improvements. I do like the new look. Heck at 36 I also like the avatars. Hell I even like the ones on the wii. So to have those and more customizations I think it will be great. Then to toss in a smooth Netflix integration... Wow, I am going to get my Netflix account again. This is great. I have fiber and loaded movie channels. But so many times even with that my wife and I wish we could just watch a movie on netflix. When I had the service both of us wished we could watch those movies on our HD 60 inch tv and not on the stupid computer. This is awsome. I also love the new look of how you can see your games. Those few items that I am looking for are just a few of the new options. This is going to make Sony and Nintendo very mad. I don't see what the big problem is with M$ wanting to keep topping those two. Heck they have been in 3rd for so long. Let them enjoy being #1 in most peoples mind. It's called business you fools. Some people you just cant make happy. For those that you that dont like it...they have something for you too. They knew you babies would be out there so now if you dont like it, then dont use it. Whalla! So STFU and enjoy the best system on the market and watch it become better.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4