xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Suggestions About Parrots  (Read 48 times)

chorizo1

• Archived User
Suggestions About Parrots
« on: August 27, 2005, 11:44:00 AM »

This is almost just a question, but here goes. if you look here:

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=436393

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=436198

you will see 2 examples about what I'm saying. too many times do some of us here on these forums encounter and obvious Pirate, and warn him, give him the rules low-down, BUT there always has to be a Parrot (someone who helps him even though they know it's not allowed) to come in answer the illegal question and send them on their way. I'm sure when the thread is Closed (it always is) the guy who posted the obvious Pirate question is warned, but what about the Parrot, is there any rules against this, and if they are warned, shouldn't they get a little more, as they obviously know that the question should not be answered. This is just a little suggestion/comment about something on this site that is becoming a more common annoyance.

edit: feel free to move this, it might have been posted in general chat instead, eventhough it has a small suggestion.

CattyKid

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2005, 12:36:00 PM »

I agree, this always seems to happen.  Unfortunately, almost no one uses the report! button, so these threads continue until the pirate is helped.  The mods on a specific forum can't be on top of every article 24/7, they need our help.

People really need to learn how to use this instead of just saying something in the thread.  Also, it would be nice if "parrots" as you put it, were also warned/suspended for repeated violations.

Horscht

• Recovered User
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2005, 02:30:00 PM »

Well, I just agree to this. It should however only be punished if one could have suspected that the person in need of "help" intended to pirate games.

chilin_dude

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2005, 02:56:00 PM »

QUOTE(chorizo1 @ Aug 27 2005, 07:55 PM)
This is almost just a question, but here goes. if you look here:

chefelf

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2005, 03:10:00 PM »

The official stance Xbox-Scene has taken in the past (as I understand it) is that people who help and answer pirates' questions are also suspended/banned as necessary.  I have personally been involved in banning members for such activity.

However, there are far too many topics where someone says, "I have an ISO for a game..." and is immediately jumped on by other members who, with little or no evidence, accuse that other member of being a pirate.  In ANY case where piracy is either blatantly obvious or just suspected, the user should not post accusations in that thread.  The user should use the "Report Post" feature which will alert any and all moderators of that particular forum so that they can make the judgement call and act accordingly.

Just my $0.02.

chorizo1

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2005, 03:26:00 PM »

QUOTE(chefelf @ Aug 29 2005, 11:21 PM)
The official stance Xbox-Scene has taken in the past (as I understand it) is that people who help and answer pirates' questions are also suspended/banned as necessary.  I have personally been involved in banning members for such activity.

CattyKid

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2005, 08:35:00 PM »

QUOTE(chefelf @ Aug 29 2005, 05:21 PM)
The user should use the "Report Post" feature which will alert any and all moderators of that particular forum so that they can make the judgement call and act accordingly.

irishdrunk

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2005, 05:30:00 AM »

Oh.  When you said parrots, I was thinking of the people who post in a thread an hour or so after someone has posted a sollution to the problem with a kind of "Ya what he said post" to get there count higher.

I agree with chefelf on this issue.  A lot of members can't wait to jump the gun on questionable posts.  A lot of people got self-rightous over the Halo 2 situation too.  If you want to flame someone in their thread for posting about piracy or anything else against the rules, you might as well hit the report button also.  That way you get to punk  the pirate and get the thread closed or binned before someone helps the guy.

I don't think "parrot" really fits here.  More like chump or tool. smile.gif

chilin_dude

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2005, 06:20:00 AM »

QUOTE(chefelf @ Aug 29 2005, 11:21 PM)
The official stance Xbox-Scene has taken in the past (as I understand it) is that people who help and answer pirates' questions are also suspended/banned as necessary.  I have personally been involved in banning members for such activity.

chefelf

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2005, 08:10:00 AM »

QUOTE(irishdrunk @ Aug 30 2005, 08:41 AM)
Oh.  When you said parrots, I was thinking of the people who post in a thread an hour or so after someone has posted a sollution to the problem with a kind of "Ya what he said post" to get there count higher.

Lord Magnus

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2005, 01:33:00 PM »

One thing I'd like to point out, is how bad the people on this forum, specifically at the "Newbie Chat", jump up somebody's neck to acuse them of pirating games/software.

In what I like to call my "Home", and you can read this as "Online Gaming Service" forum, people has grown a helping will. I've seen posts, where nobody had an answer stay with 0 replies for weeks, untill somebody can answer that question. The poster, doesn't even bump the thread as most of us knows how anoying that is. And it is my belief that anybody that get's into that specific forum will find himself at home.

One thing that might be of relevance here, is a friend's personal story. His name here is Jontar or Jontar99, I'm not sure wich name he took.
He joined this forum, and read all there was to read about his xbox, his recently aquired modchip and read how to install/flash/turn off for live. Finally, he posted a very valid question at the "ISO extraction/creation" (Link) forum, and he got the usual dumb people jumping up their necks to see if there's any blood to suck. Right after that, many more imitated that one guy. Accused him of asking a newb question, not searching, etc. Now, note that this was the time, where there wasn't sooooo many tutorials about things, as they exist now.
My friend posted only in two more threads after that, with the high post count of 5. Now, as we all know, post count means shit. And whoever doesn't know that, and thinks it's going to gain a good rep for having a million posts, all saying "You're stupid!" or the already mentioned "Arrrr arrr!", is out of his mind. This, happened to me as well, but I took a different aproach. I recognize I have my fair share of stupid questions, but they have all been answered.

Now, my friend only checks the news on the main page, and if there's something he needs to know, he searches or asks me. And note he's a professor, so he knows how to do his homework.

He joined this forum in Feb of '03, and he doesn't want to post because he thinks people in these forums are "a bunch of stupid and mean pricks". Now, based on his personal experience, how do I convince him that it isn't so ?

Just my 2 cents.

pug_ster

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2005, 02:53:00 PM »

I don't think there's anything wrong about those questions.  What if the person really owns the game and just want to play with the backup without scratching the original?  (although it would probably be unlikely)  These people didn't mention anything about, "I went to blockbuster and rented the game and I would like to make a backup of it."  After all, I saw those stickies about how to make the game fitting onto a dvd-r... and there's a forum for iso backups, is this the purpose of that forum?

While I am talking about pirating software.  A few months back I brought a refurbished (pc) motherboard that comes with no manuals or software.  After some frustration looking for software for the motherboard, I put up a post in the pc forum and some butthead said that I was requesting pirated software.  It seems that some 'moderator wanabes' here have nothing to do except being a pain in the ass...

BoNg420

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2005, 08:32:00 PM »

the person is asking for help with something doesnt mean they are pirating stuff.  I could copy my original halo 2 to my xbox then want to know how to use craxtion or something to make an ISO and how to burn it after i make that ISO.  When people think of modchips they think piracy.  I can gurantee there are tons of people who pirate xbox games on the forum or even pirate PC software.  As long as their questions arent plain out showing they are pirating like "where can i download xbox games" or if they talk about sites or how can i copy a game i rent or something along those lines then i see no reason to ban them.  This is a xbox modding forum and I gurantee 90% people on here dont chip/softmod their box just so they can use linux or make a media center.   People just like to point fingers and be hipocrites(sp?) hyporcrites(sp?) anyway.