xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Ps3 Slim No Native Linux Support  (Read 963 times)

GOVATENT

• Archived User
Ps3 Slim No Native Linux Support
« on: August 18, 2009, 03:12:00 PM »

I just read on engadget and what ever their source was, the new PS3 slim announced today will not have native linux support anymore. Which sucks. I don't own a ps3 but was/am going to. Although at this point I will buy a old school fat ps3 console with pricing dropping.

openxdkman

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 09:37:00 AM »

Yes. It's confirmed.
Sony didn't want to pay the development of hypervisor code in charge of handling OtherOS with the new hardware of the PS3 Slim.

At least, it's just a problem of money/time and the hypervisor is part of firmware, so if everyone shouts high loud enough and long enough they may decide to find some bucks to put it back in future firmwares...

If they don't, hacking pressure may become high and they may get frightened by it and finally put it back as well... So, convincing best hackers out there to study ps3 slim is the best option at the moment... (as usual, if you have faith, secure this new model and don't upgrade its firmware for as long as possible)

Other OS is not the only dropped feature. PS2 software emulation has been dropped as well.

This post has been edited by openxdkman: Aug 21 2009, 05:34 PM

colt45joe

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 07:59:00 PM »

that would be funny if that did encourage people to finally hack the ps3, because of them taking out linux support.

red_ring_of_box

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 09:31:00 PM »

same here I'm interested to see what will come of this I've really started to think about getting a ps3 especially now that the slim is comming out and is gonna be $299.

callmeX

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 07:42:00 AM »

QUOTE(colt45joe @ Aug 23 2009, 03:59 AM) *

that would be funny if that did encourage people to finally hack the ps3, because of them taking out linux support.

For which reason do you think, other consoles got hacked?

JoBlack

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 09:48:00 AM »

QUOTE(colt45joe @ Aug 23 2009, 03:59 AM) View Post

This will most probably happen. Sony hasn't learnt a bit since his other disasters. A modchip will come out end of this year or next year.

Sony - don't mess with Linux  tongue.gif

JD1

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 11:09:00 AM »

I think its ok because whats the point even linux runs slow on the ps3