xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Ps3 Homebrew From The Start  (Read 547 times)

silentbob343

• Archived User
Ps3 Homebrew From The Start
« on: November 10, 2006, 09:43:00 PM »

Well, we already knew about the the install OS and HDD upgradeability.  Right know the only option I am aware of is Yellow Dog Linux, we'll see how it pans out, but looks promising.

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=562056

bigjimmy

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 10:53:00 PM »

Wow, so all this stuff the PS3 can do out of the box defeats the whole purpose of having a modchip.

And with being able to remove HDD that means youll be able to take your HDD and play the saves from it on another friends PS3. Kool!

kics

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 01:23:00 AM »

well for me the point of having a modchip is for homebrew only, i'm a big fan of the xbox(1) BUT i bought it 'cause i knew back then of xbmc + customizable hdd... i think i'll wait a bit longer to see which console to buy... knowing this the ps3 is promising a lot ...

calderra

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 09:17:00 AM »

QUOTE(silentbob343 @ Nov 11 2006, 07:21 AM) View Post

You'll still have people trying to hack the security features to play backups, but not nearly as many if linux can be run from the get go.

And the other angle...
-PS3 costs $4-500 less than most other BD players.
-It basically seems to be an open hard drive attached to a BD drive from a security point of view.
-Installing a simple copy program shouldn't be terribly hard to do.
-From there, a simple USB connection to a PC allows uploads to anywhere...

et voila!
The PS3 could become a BluRay pirating paradise. Considering Sony's banking a large part of their company on the success of BluRay, this could be a very dangerous business. Maybe there are some hidden security features that will prove harder to hack through, but it seems like every PS3 sold seems like a "pirate-in-a-box" kit.

...and just because Linux is running on a console doesn't mean it will do what people want. If you think Linux users aren't going to mod around their OS to get what they want, you don't know the Linux community. Using that OS to make the computer do whatever you want is the single most important feature to most Linux users.

It's like giving everyone Ferraris because you think that, if everyone owns one, breaking the law by driving too fast would no longer be the status symbol it is now. I don't think it works in practice.

throwingks

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2006, 09:39:00 AM »

Copying a game to the harddrive does not give you the ability to run it from the harddrive.

silentbob343

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2006, 08:20:00 PM »

QUOTE(bigjimmy @ Nov 11 2006, 02:00 AM) View Post

Wow, so all this stuff the PS3 can do out of the box defeats the whole purpose of having a modchip.

And with being able to remove HDD that means youll be able to take your HDD and play the saves from it on another friends PS3. Kool!

Jimmy, read this first line
http://www.joystiq.c...3manual_pg1.jpg

It says that the HDD might not need to be reformatted if installed in the original PS3 console.  I'm guessing if you remove it and put it in a friends PS3 it might try to reformat it.  Somebody needs to test that out.

epsilon72

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2006, 07:33:00 PM »

QUOTE(silentbob343 @ Nov 10 2006, 11:21 PM) View Post

That's exactly what Sony was trying to avoid.  If they gave linux to the hombrew community they, the community, no longer need to mess with trying to hack the console to run their software.  You'll still have people trying to hack the security features to play backups, but not nearly as many if linux can be run from the get go.

Twisted had a nice long post on it in another thread.

They might still want to hack to gain access to the RSX...

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2006, 07:55:00 PM »

Except that changing out your HDD in the ps3 will void your warranty, whereas whenever the 360 does get a larger HDD, changing it out will not void the warranty.

xzenor

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2006, 08:37:00 PM »

Well I'm starting to like $ony's approach........ If you cant beat'm, join'm.

But I think $ony's going to be kicking themselves in the arse later down the road.

wknite

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2006, 11:43:00 PM »

A big argument modders have made in the past is that the reason they're bypassing security in some way is to unlock features, like all the Xbox Linux's. Since Sony is supporting Linux/homebrew stuff out of the box, it'll be easier to sue violators in court.

Also sort of on-topic: Anyone know what filesystems the PS3 supports? (FAT32, etc)

Pheidias

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2006, 11:45:00 PM »

I'm betting it will take a very long time for us to break the BR, and unless we do that playing backups will be impossible. That is really all that Sony cares about that's why tehy are allowing you to almost use the entire machine as you wish.

From here on out I think it will be harder and harder for all the $ony and phony bashers to justify not joining in in the sheep heard. Seems even at launch its a much better multimedia and gaming console.

Pasta Dude

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2006, 01:04:00 AM »

Excuse me if this dosen't make as much sense to you as it does to me, it's 3:47am here in NY and I just worked a full 8 hour shift in a factory so I'm a little tired but still very interested in this topic  sleeping.gif