xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Playstation 3 And The Physx?  (Read 412 times)

onge

• Archived User
Playstation 3 And The Physx?
« on: November 30, 2005, 08:02:00 AM »

Wonder if you guys have heard of the PhysX chip by Ageia.
This will be released as an accelerator card, more precicely a Physics accellerator card. The chip is called a PPU (Physics Proceccing Unit)

I say this will do a huge effect in game development, and is the biggest news since the graphics accellerators. I would say alot bigger =)
To illustrate how effective this thing would be, ive heard that a CPU load at 50% caused by game physics, would with a PPU clear all the cpu load and the PPU would be working at about 1 or 2 %.

Theyre releasing this thing in the beginning of next year. And i heard rumors that Sony had caught interest in this chip for the PS3.

PhysX in the PS3?

Video: Boulders with and without PhysX

Video: Liquid (slime) simulation.

Ageia, PhysX developers.

quall

• Archived User
Playstation 3 And The Physx?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 11:13:00 AM »

Well, I know both Sony and MS are using the PhysX dev tools. I remember that when it was announced for the PS3, there was this huge flame toward the xbox360 because the ps3 was getting the kit (and i guess they didn't know MS already had a contract for it). I remember that almost every "fanboy" thought it was a chip, they couldn't understand that it was software.

I find it wierd that the first site you posted is the only site stating anything about an actual chip. They probably just confused what was being stated.

Besides, if the chip WAS included, i think it would have been a good idea if they had included it inside their dev kits.
http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2005/0722/kaigai02l.gif <--the mobo action layout...no ppu present

From what I understand, the ps3 has MORE than enough "power" for physic calculations. Floating point calc's were supposed to be the big advantage that the Cell had. I doubt Sony would invest in a chip that doesn't appear to be needed.

This post has been edited by quall: Dec 1 2005, 07:17 PM