xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Drive Not Reading Disc, Just Shows Spinning Clock  (Read 199 times)

midgetgrimm

• Archived User
Drive Not Reading Disc, Just Shows Spinning Clock
« on: February 19, 2011, 08:11:00 PM »

So the other day I put a disc in my PS3 80GB Older Style(ThickBlackConsole) and it just showed the spinning clock. That's it. It won't read DVD's, Blur-Ray's, or games. Not even my PS1 games. Is this something that I can fix myself or will I have to send it out. It costs too much to send it out. Times is tough!!

Anyway, everything still works perfect, thumb drives read, internet works, downloaded games work, music, movies, all of it, except the disc reader. Thanks in advance. uhh.gif

wildwild

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 04:18:00 AM »

Most of the time it's the laser but sometimes it's the board or tray
Replace the laser first.

Good luck.

Mr Spoon87

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 04:30:00 AM »

Have you sorted this? If not you could try taking it apart (asumming its out of warrenty or your dont want to send it off) open the dvd caseing then connect all the power and ribbon cables and see if the blu ray lens lights up when you turn it on.

MorboTron

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 11:02:00 AM »

QUOTE(wildwild @ Feb 24 2011, 06:18 AM) View Post

Most of the time it's the laser but sometimes it's the board or tray
Replace the laser first.
Good luck.

This.

It sounds like your Laser is dead.  At least the Blu Ray portion.

The order of checking that the PS3 uses for sensing a disc is: Blu ray>DVD/CD>IR.

If the Blu Ray laser diode is shot, the system will not check CD/DVD, or IR.  In most cases, replacing the laser unit fixes the issue.  If replacing the laser does not fix your problem, then it could be a BD ROM Driver IC gone bad, as I noted in a post in this thread:

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=728044