xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Ps3 Glod, Have Audio But No Video  (Read 128 times)

mhaqs

• Archived User
Ps3 Glod, Have Audio But No Video
« on: August 16, 2010, 11:50:00 AM »

Before I get flamed, I posted the same thread on the llamma forums but I guess it's not that active.

Hi guys,

Problem:
I hooked up my ps3 like always to my TV with a component cable. Jacked in the power cord to the ps3 and then plugged it into the wall socket. It was my bad that I forgot that the PS3's switch was on while I was putting in the plug. Anyhow, as soon as I plugged in the power cord, I heard a small blow behind the PS3 and looked up at the screen. It was blue i.e. it was not detecting any output from the ps3. To this day, I have audio working, the controllers sync, the usb works and I could navigate and launch games and everything else.

I've tried using many cables and different display devices at home using HDMI and component/composite cables but to no avail. After going through many of the forums, I haven't seen anyone complain about their ps3 display dying out after a blow except one. But I've tried to do my homework and searched around and here is one thread that relates to my problem:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=26456

He says that he fixed some zener diodes to get video to display but I doubt it's the zener diodes. I never smelled anything that may have blown. The ps3 still turns on fine.

Here are some more details about the problem and steps I did:

- My model is the CECHA12
- 60gig model and I've tried all trivial steps like resetting the ps3 etc.
- Took out and put the hard drive back, no avail.
- Tried different connection methods like HDMI and composite etc, I could hear sound in composite/svideo but there was no sound in HDMI or component. So that's another pointer.

Please help, I'll be grateful.

mhaqs

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 01:07:00 AM »

Guys, ANY help is appreciated.

mhaqs

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 01:32:00 PM »

bump.

irenicus87

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 12:13:00 AM »

Sounds like you've got a cold solder joint, but it hasn't progressed far enough to cause the blinking red light. Try the washer trick first and see if that works. If it does, and you have the equipment/know-how, then reflow the board for a more permanent fix.

mhaqs

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 02:30:00 PM »

Hey thanks for the help. At least somebody responded without flaming me smile.gif. Much appreciated. I'll post the results.

irenicus87

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 04:01:00 PM »

You may also want to look at all the capacitors on the board, chances are if you heard a popping noise one or more of your caps has blown. You'll be able to tell by the rounded top and usually some brown discoloration.

mhaqs

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 03:26:00 AM »

^ Exactly what I was thinking as well. The popping has to be caused by something that was blown. I contacted Colin Gliksy aka gilksy1 and he told me that it could indeed be the Zener Diodes under the video connector on the motherboard. See attachment:

IPB Image

mhaqs

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 11:16:00 AM »

This thread here EXACTLY explains the issue with my PS3:

http://forums.llamma...hp?f=26&t=21203