xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Ps3 Replacement Laser And Dual Layer Discs?  (Read 76 times)

chiefj1254

• Archived User
Ps3 Replacement Laser And Dual Layer Discs?
« on: December 10, 2009, 12:45:00 PM »

Hi all,

Sorry if this thread has been discussed before, although I did a quick check and didn't find anything.  I have a 60GB PS3 that was experiencing disc read errors, as it has for many users.  You'd insert a disc, the red laser would light up, the spindle wouldn't spin, then it would go out and that's it.

I bought a replacement KES-400A laser and installed it.  The laser lights blue and red depending on disc, but now my AVCHD movies hang right around the spot where it must be changing layers on the disc.  You can hear the laser labor as it tries to read, the video stutters and freezes, then it catches up and freezes again.  I can get around the issue by skipping ahead 3-4 minutes in the film, but obviously this isn't a great permanent solution.  I have also seen read problems in GTA4 (sorry, I have few games and use this primarily for movies) which I think may be related, but I don't know how many multi-layer BD games are out there.

Has anyone else seen this problem?  If so, is there a fix?  Maybe a pot adjustment?  And if so, is there a guide out there on how to make those changes?  As you can tell, I like to do these things myself and tweak.  Thanks in advance -