xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Replacing Components/mobo Gutswap, What Am I Missing?  (Read 84 times)

tripellex

• Archived User
Replacing Components/mobo Gutswap, What Am I Missing?
« on: November 13, 2009, 01:32:00 PM »

Hey guys, here's the scenario: I have one CECHA mobo with matching Blu-ray that's semi-worthless. It was a YLOD system that I had successfully fixed, but the drive connector somehow got messed up. The drive ribbon ZIF connector pins are bent (I've aligned them as best I could, and they *seem* to be straight) and the a small piece broke off the ZIF connector itself , so the tab won't stay connected when you go to fold it down and lock it in place. So I bought another CECHA mobo to replace/repair the old one with.

Now here's my question: In order to take these two boards and make one good one from them, what would I need to desolder from one and swap to the other? From what I've gleamed reading tech documents, the Cell is what holds the decryption keys for the entire system. Would I need to desolder just that from the broken board and swap that to the new board? Or would I need to swap the two 256mb NANDs also? Guess my question is, what all would I need to take from the old board and move to the new board? Unfortunately the second board I bought didn't come with the drive or even the controller board, so I don't have access to the matching Blu-ray hardware else I would have just simply done a gutswap.

*NOTE* I know the obvious question raised is, why not simply replace the connectors? Simply put, my micro-miniature soldering skills from the Navy are ten years rusty, and I don't want to damage the fragile plastic connectors any further. With the chips, they are hardened silicon and carbon, and not as prone to damage due to heat as the plastic is.