xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Ps3 Wont Read Any Discs  (Read 103 times)

3xpl0it

• Archived User
Ps3 Wont Read Any Discs
« on: July 21, 2009, 08:49:00 PM »

A few weeks ago my ps3 stopped reading any game/dvd/bluray discs.  All I get is the little loading sign in the top right corner that circles endlessly.  I called in to just have sony fix it, but they say the console is out of warrenty so I decided to just take it apart.  I removed the case and opened up the drive.  I cleaned the lense with some canned air (didn't use rubbing alchol, is this safe and is it worth giving it a shot?  The lense looked very clean).

Anyways, I plugged it in and it does the same thing.  I tried formatting the hard drive, restoring the system files, and update to the latest firmware, but no luck.

I have also read a ton of info on other sites, but they don't give much info other than to send it back to sony.  I have heard that you can do some laser swaps, but I would like to make sure I have done absolutely everything before putting some money into this.

What would you recommend trying?  And if I have to purchase a new laser to swap, where can I buy one?

Thanks in advance!

Edit: When I put in my disc, any disc, I notice that the disc doesnt even try to spin.  Is it normal for the ps3 to do this?

This post has been edited by 3xpl0it: Jul 22 2009, 03:54 AM

3xpl0it

• Archived User
Ps3 Wont Read Any Discs
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 09:18:00 PM »

Just tried cleaning the lense, no such luck.

(Sorry for double post, was going to edit but it won't let me (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohmy.gif))

Thanks!

shadow king 13

• Archived User
Ps3 Wont Read Any Discs
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 03:35:00 PM »

Your laser is toast. Get on ebay. There are plenty of laser assemblies on there, thats where I got mine. My disc wouldnt spin either till I replaced the laser.

flash360

• Archived User
Ps3 Wont Read Any Discs
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2020, 04:04:00 PM »

I bought one a couple of weeks ago off gsrepairs on ebay, the 400 one. They also have a website but the laser isnt listed on there. It was 60 quid but they offer a 6 month guarantee aparently. oh and it took about 10 days to turn up. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif)

A lot of the ebay ones have disclaimers on em sayin they wont accept returns read the small print and feedback before you buy.