xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Ps3 Blows 4a Fuse In Power Supply  (Read 102 times)

alecjahn

• Archived User
Ps3 Blows 4a Fuse In Power Supply
« on: June 30, 2009, 02:31:00 PM »

I'll just copy my post from the assemblergames forums:

I'm working on a PS3 for a good friend of mine (well, he owns a shop and bought it in a lot of stuff). At first, it was basically derelict - no red light when plugged in and switched on in the back.

So, I strip it down to the power supply, crack that open and I find two fuses.
The first one (looks to be a 10A/250v), nearest the initial AC plug tests fine. The second, found on the other end between some voltage regulators, isn't.

So I ran to the shop, nabbed a 4A 250v fast-acting fuse, installed a fuse holder with leads (just in case (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)) and slapped it together enough to test.

Pop, the lamp in the same power strip dimmed and the fuse blew. Bummer.

Near the fuse, it states "T4AH/250V". As much as I can gather, the H stands for "high current". Is it likely necessary that this exact fuse is required? It seems odd that current (IE amps, correct?) would be listed as a number (as always) but then a fuse could be "high current" as well? I obviously don't understand this aspect, so... some insight?

Slow blow fuse?  Still blows.

I COULD just buy a new PSU, sure, but that'd go against my own nature of trying to salvage stuff.

Does anyone have any experience with these?  Perhaps some key components to start testing?  As a reminder, it's not the main AC fuse that's blowing, but the second one near the middle of the board, surrounded by  what looks like a lot of voltage regulators or transistors or rectifiers or... you know, those vertical ones screwed to a sheet of aluminum (er, copper here) heatsink.  I haven't dug into them yet, but if they might be key I'll start looking them up and testing them.  Surely something is shorted out.  

Being a 250v fuse I'd assume some serious voltage is going through this thing, right?  Or is this perhaps just the most cost effective way of protecting that circuit?

scuba156

• Archived User
Ps3 Blows 4a Fuse In Power Supply
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 10:33:00 PM »

Having the correct fuse is important. What you looking for is a Slow Acting (T), High Breaking Capacity (H) fuse