xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Ps3 Without Hdd  (Read 108 times)

SockoMr

• Archived User
Ps3 Without Hdd
« on: February 02, 2020, 09:06:00 PM »

Hey guys, ive come up on a ps3 without the hdd in it.

My question is do i need to put anything on a new hard drive ill slap in or will the ps3 take care of it?

commandersafi

• Archived User
Ps3 Without Hdd
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 10:32:00 PM »

QUOTE(SockoMr @ Jun 10 2009, 11:06 PM) View Post

Hey guys, ive come up on a ps3 without the hdd in it.

My question is do i need to put anything on a new hard drive ill slap in or will the ps3 take care of it?

Just put in the HDD and when you turn on the PS3 it will Format it and set everything up for you

SockoMr

• Archived User
Ps3 Without Hdd
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2020, 10:14:00 PM »

excellent. thank you a bunch, i didnt want to order the stuff online for it not to work =]

XBOXCUSTOMS69

• Archived User
Ps3 Without Hdd
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2020, 10:40:00 PM »

Like he said it will do the work for you, but it wouldnt be a bad idea to already have the newest firmware downloaded and ready on a usb drive, cause its going to ask for it.

SockoMr

• Archived User
Ps3 Without Hdd
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2020, 12:19:00 PM »

any suggestions as far as an enclosure for the hdd goes?

SockoMr

• Archived User
Ps3 Without Hdd
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 05:47:00 PM »

also is the latest firmware available online somewhere?

thanks guys

ScrewinGates

• Archived User
Ps3 Without Hdd
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2020, 07:29:00 PM »

playstation.com

XBOXCUSTOMS69

• Archived User
Ps3 Without Hdd
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2020, 08:45:00 PM »

Yea, just do a search for it on the playstation website, they will give you instructions on how to make it usable too. Is the original hdd caddy gone from the ps3? You can probably find a replacement on ebay if so, if not, im not really sure what to say, go to a place that deals used video games and see if they have any spare parts.

XBOXCUSTOMS69

• Archived User
Ps3 Without Hdd
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 04:55:00 PM »

Sony sends them FREE? Well thats cool. I saw an addon somewhere that let you use an e-sata enclosure as your primary drive, that would be a good one. I think thats probably what youd have to use unless you want to just let the sata cable hang out the back of it or something...

XBOXCUSTOMS69

• Archived User
Ps3 Without Hdd
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2009, 01:33:00 PM »

The cheapest sata enclosures im finding are on ebay for 15 bucks. However, anything that can power a standard hard drive will work. This  could probably be bastardized into something you could use, like just use it for the power supply and thats it (you would need an adapter). I would honestly look at just putting a 2.5" in it to keep the portability. It is ultimately your choice though, if it works, id say its good enough.

XBOXCUSTOMS69

• Archived User
Ps3 Without Hdd
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 02:26:00 PM »

Well you seem to already know what you want, its just a matter of doing it. Though i have never heard of a "molex wall plug". That sounds like a home made kind of thing lol. And why everyone thinks the ps3 looks like a grill is beyond me. The ps3 is an awesome piece of hardware, and it is still extremely useful even minus the BD drive.