xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Faulty Laser, Need Advice On Fix Plz :)  (Read 74 times)

Shaide

• Archived User
Faulty Laser, Need Advice On Fix Plz :)
« on: May 01, 2011, 07:30:00 PM »

QUOTE(sheenabeenerz @ Dec 16 2008, 02:12 AM) View Post

I'm positive my laser is going bad on my 60gb PS3, and apparently this is common with the kes-400a laser on the 60gb model.  It plays dvds and PS2 games just dandy, but it will only play PS3 games and Blu-Rays for about 10 min before freezing up and going haywire.  I'm going to purchase one and do the fix myself, however I am no expert and have never technically replaced anything on a ps3.  I have however practiced taking it apart and putting it back together again, so that's a start  biggrin.gif

My questions are this:

1.) Is it easier to replace the laser and the tray all together?  I would like to replace just the laser, but if it's difficult or risky I'll do the whole thing.  If I do replace just the laser, do I have to re-align or align it in a certain manner?

2.) Is static a major issue?  Do I need some kind of anti-static environment or gear? (sorry, that probably sounds like a stupid question!)

3.) Is there any key things I should know or do going into this fix? Can you rate this fix on a scale from 1-10 for me so I can get a feel on the difficulty?

Thank you to anyone who can answer any of these questions! I really appreciate it, I love my PS3 but I don't wanna shell out another $300-$400 on a new one!  If anyone has any good links for anything realting to this fix, that would be awesome too!!! happy.gif

Replacing the laser with another one is easy.
1. Laser replacement is easy. You do need to re-align everything once you plug it back in...just hold down the eject button till your system beeps.
2. Not a stupid question at all. Yes, be careful of static when working with ANY electronics components.
3. No key for replacing laser/ lense is needed.  If you can follow simple instructions and have a basic understanding of electronics...on a scale of 1 to 10...1 being easy..10 being hard as hell...probably a 2.

If you need it, I can email you the entire process step by step.