xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Ps3 Laser Lights Up, Worm Gear Works. No Spindle Turning. Ideas?  (Read 112 times)

GamestationOH

• Archived User

Hello, I have only worked on 2 other PS3 so far. I have been repairing game systems since 1989. Laser systems since PS1 in 1995.

I would just like some info on laser calibration and experiences from others that have seen more bad PS3 that I have.

I have cleaned the laser, but the spindle doesn't turn. The worm gears move the laser back and forth. The laser lights and rises to focus.

Is it normal for the spindle not turn if the laser cannot identify a disc? The spindle doesn't turn even 1/4 a turn. It seems to be free to turn, is not binding.

Thanks in advance.

GamestationOH

• Archived User
Ps3 Laser Lights Up, Worm Gear Works. No Spindle Turning. Ideas?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 03:55:00 PM »

I guess no one here has worked on PS3 lasers...

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 04:39:00 PM »

On every drive the spindle motor spins up so the laser can read the TOC. The PS3 is no different. Cleaning the Laser is not a cure for no spindle motor rotation.
These type of faults are easy to identify on any deck (are you sure you repair systems or is it just a hobby?) But can have a complex cause.Disconnect the motor and connect a bench PSU to it or hook a battery across it to see if it spins. This is an easy way to tell if the motor is the cause.
Have you measured the drive to the motor off load? Is there any drive present.
Usually it would be the Drive motor or the drive IC.

GamestationOH

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2008, 03:54:00 PM »

QUOTE(Chancer @ Mar 8 2008, 01:15 AM) View Post

On every drive the spindle motor spins up so the laser can read the TOC. The PS3 is no different. Cleaning the Laser is not a cure for no spindle motor rotation.
These type of faults are easy to identify on any deck (are you sure you repair systems or is it just a hobby?) But can have a complex cause.Disconnect the motor and connect a bench PSU to it or hook a battery across it to see if it spins. This is an easy way to tell if the motor is the cause.
Have you measured the drive to the motor off load? Is there any drive present.
Usually it would be the Drive motor or the drive IC.

Thanks for the reply . The GOD of console repair has spoken finally spoken to me!!! Hail God Of Repairs!!!

Why is it that so many moderators here seem to think the sun shines out their ass! Just because you have nothing better to do everyday but poke around this website they decided to make you a moderator! You all can kiss my ass FUCK HEADS!

GamestationOH

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 05:08:00 PM »

Well, I have seen many PS2 that had bad lasers and the spindle would not turn at all because of that... If you have no experience in PS3 lasers, well that is ok. No big deal.

But your rudeness was uncalled for...

But, then again I understand why you would be quick to anger with someone that is out of you reach...

You are British and everyone knows the British Male has been castrated by the Pakistanis Indians...

No British Armed Forces can wear uniforms in public because Muslims find it offensive...
No pig figurines allowed in windows because Muslims find it offencive...

Yes, the British male is hardy male...

jimbobjim

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 05:15:00 PM »

^^what a moron^^

HotKnife420

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 01:26:00 AM »

QUOTE(GamestationOH @ Mar 9 2008, 01:44 AM) View Post

Well, I have seen many PS2 that had bad lasers and the spindle would not turn at all because of that... If you have no experience in PS3 lasers, well that is ok. No big deal.

But your rudeness was uncalled for...

But, then again I understand why you would be quick to anger with someone that is out of you reach...

You are British and everyone knows the British Male has been castrated by the Pakistanis Indians...

No British Armed Forces can wear uniforms in public because Muslims find it offensive...
No pig figurines allowed in windows because Muslims find it offencive...

Yes, the British male is hardy male...

I think you just took it too harshly. Regardless, you had two posts lashing at him as a result, which doesn't exactly attract anyone to want to answer your question (sorry, just being honest).

You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

I believe the laser first checks for reflectivity to confirm if the trey is empty or not. If it reflects, then the disc is spun so the TOC can be read.

Maybe you should give the battery/motor test a go, as it would answer the question as to whether or not your motor is a problem. Post your results.

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 09:46:00 AM »

If you don't know why it would be that the drives spin up even with a duff laser and the laser makes a horrible clicking sound as it attempts to focus you should have just said. If you don't realise the drive to the motor is suppliedon Disc In,the motor initialises and then the control IC looks for a response from the laser reading the TOC. You should have just said.
 As with my initial comments I fear you will ruin the drive altogether. Your reaction was over the top. I did after all offer you an easy test method that apprentices use all the time, to check the spindle motor. I am sorry you found it over your head. Do you know how many PS2s failed due to defective spindle motors?...Obviously not.
 I only hope to god this is not a machine that belongs to some innocent who believes you know what you are doing.
 My post was nothing compared to yours and I was your only offer of help. You blew that with your replies.

Thread shut and your account moron

I believe the laser first checks for reflectivity to confirm if the trey is empty or not.

Disc Sense In  is checked via manual switch on the older optical drive and my means of a sensor on newer ones.
The laser is not the part that signals Disc In. :-)