xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Ps3 Lasers Kicking The Bucket  (Read 112 times)

dee33223

• Archived User
Ps3 Lasers Kicking The Bucket
« on: October 26, 2007, 07:48:00 AM »

I work for an electrical goods repair business in the UK and in the last week or so we have had a massive increase in the amount of PS3's with dead lasers. Many customers say it was after an update and most consoles are imports though a few were Pal. Any feedback or theorys on this matter would be nice. Has Sony made a boob with new firmware? or is it just coincidence?.
 Cheers.

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 01:38:00 PM »

I am puzzled by one thing in your story. UK PS3 has 12 months warranty. they only released in March. So how come you are getting them for repair? Sony does in house repairs, yet you seem to know the fault is the Laser.
 you need to add more facts into this before you call a fault with them. Especially associating it with an update.

dee33223

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 02:01:00 PM »

I did say "a few were Pal" models. These could have been bought second hand, been opened voiding their warranty from Sony or any number of other reasons why they can't claim their warranty. That's why we get them in for repair as they can't send it to Sony. Hope that solves your puzzle.
 Sony does indeed do in house repairs but that doesn't really affect me knowing the laser is dead. I can still work that out, i don't get your point??. The lasers are failing from something and a new one fitted is making them work just fine.
 As for calling a fault. Well there is a fault with them(the units i have) they dont work(laser) a new part fixes them. That's the facts i have for you.
 I only throw this out as a good proportion of the customers mentioned it was after an update. I was looking for any theories or experiences anyone may have along these lines. Im not saying an update is causing it and did mention it could have been coincidence.
 Cheers though.

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 02:34:00 PM »

The 1.94 update never appeared in the UK. I have not seen one other post regarding PS3 lasers failing and do not think this is a general issue. What sort of numbers are we talking of? Your title  and the words "Massive Increase"implies this is a major failure point on the PS3. But everything i check appears not to support that. I will bring it up with the Sony Tech Rep when he calls to the workshop on the 8th Nov and post back his comments regards this.