xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Ps3 With The 3 Beeps Of Death  (Read 122 times)

ausmods

• Archived User
Ps3 With The 3 Beeps Of Death
« on: October 19, 2007, 10:34:00 PM »

Hey all,

Ive managed to pick up a PS3 very cheaply through ebay, with the 3 beeps of death. I havent receivd the PS3 yet (only bought it today) but apparently the problem with it is that it powers up, then powers down straight away and beeps three times and flashes the red power light.

The picture of the motherboard showed some yellowing around the Cell (due to high heat). Do you think a problem like this would be like the 360's red lights? Would it just a bew dry joint underneath the CPU?

Regards,
James

rmind01

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 09:45:00 AM »

I spent sometime on a PS3 with this issue.  I have a feeling it's the power supply.  I turned on the PS3 holding the power down and no luck so I kept trying and I finally got to the video detection screen.  I put yes and then choose the 1080p option and boom red light.  So i tryed again this time no 1080p just HDMI.  again it did it but I heard the hard drive shut down hard.  I took off the harddrive and attempted the video setting option and it came up so I hit yes for HDMI and then yes for 1080p.  After that quess what I got screen saying Hard drive not detected something of that sort.  I left the console on that screen about 5 mins it shutdown also listening to the fan the whole time.   I did hear a difference in the fan it seemed to work when the fan was a bit louder it would stay on longer.  I figured ok let me the put HD back on.  I turned the PS3 ON while holding the power button again to get to the video detection screen.  It stays on so I left it on that screen and listening to the fan.  I heard the fan quick in a bit louder so I rushed choosing the options continued and guess what!? I got into operating system!  I was on there for about 10mins resetting all settings quick formatting HD.  It worked! but then it failed again.  I remembered when opening the PS3 the power supply felt like it was going to melt the PS3 I also replaced the thermal paste with AS5.  Now,  somehow I want to get the PS3 powered up without the PS3 powersupply external one with same rating and test.  Also, get the PS3 back up again and update to latest firmware?  and test again.  I will keep you guys up to date.

rmind01

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 02:00:00 PM »

Update:  Pluged in AV cable no HDMI this time to ps3 removed HD and it got be back to the screen where HD not found.  Left it on for awhile it stays on!  I opened the PS3 noticed it had kindof like a brown stain around southbridge I believe.  The 3 beeps happens right when the Video card goes on to performance when I got into OS lastnight it stutered a bit.  More to come

MDA02

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 10:22:00 AM »

The PS3 powersupply gets VERY hot. I have several of these 3 beeps and have tried multiple fixs. Nothing works. New HD, new PS, reflowing (I don't have the correct sized nozzles,so had to make do), nothing seems correct this issue.