xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Hdd Upgrades  (Read 197 times)

silentbob343

• Archived User
Hdd Upgrades
« on: November 25, 2006, 12:57:00 PM »

QUOTE(chipdouglas2819 @ Nov 25 2006, 05:59 AM) View Post

yea idk i just randomly found these:
http://www.consoleso...-p-1-c-260.html
wonderin if this actually works... i havent seen any posts on this on any site... just that you can upgrade the 20gb to the 60gb... thought id get it out there

Any 2.5" HDD will work, you can buy them at any store that sells computer parts.

rjvagt

• Archived User
Hdd Upgrades
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2006, 12:07:00 PM »

This may seem silly but if you know of anybody that has upgraded to a larger HDD and would like to get rid of the 20GB ST920217AS we would like to get a couple to test in our lab. Seems the only way to get this model is to buy the whole machine, Seagate does not offer the bare 20GB ST920217AS to disty.

Thanks

theBloodShed

• Archived User
Hdd Upgrades
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 05:12:00 PM »

Does anyone know if there are any issues with taking a HDD from one PS3 and moving it to another?  Are there any digital signatures applied to files that are perhaps system specific (PS3 savegames, PS/PS2 memory card files, PS Network downloads)?  Has anyone tried it?

Also, is data stored with a standard file system?  If I upgrade to a larger HDD, can I connect both drives in a PC and basically copy all of my user-specific files over?

theBloodShed

• Archived User
Hdd Upgrades
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2006, 04:54:00 AM »

QUOTE(silentbob343 @ Nov 30 2006, 03:48 AM) View Post
I read it will reformat the drive when placed in another PS3

Shit!  Here's the situation, I currently have the 20GB PS3 model because I've been unable to locate a 60GB unit.  Once the 60GB comes out, I'm going to be getting rid of my 20GB.  In the meantime, I purchased a 120GB 2.5" Seagate (hasn't arrived yet though).  I wanted to just be able to move the drive from one system to the other.

I may try backing up the files on a PC before placing it into the new PS3.  Hopefully, if it does require a reformat, I can put it back on my PC and copy the saves, etc back to it.  Anyone know if these files carry a system specific digital signature?  The post by gothi seems to suggest it does.

theBloodShed

• Archived User
Hdd Upgrades
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2006, 05:08:00 PM »

Honestly, I already have a full server on my home network (HTTP, FTP, DNS, DHCP, SQL, MySQL, etc, etc, etc).  That only helps me get data from my PC to my PS3, but not the other way around.

I have a 2.5" 120GB Seagate on the way from NewEgg.  When it gets here, I'm going to experiment and post my results.  When I locate the second PS3, I'll provide more details.

theBloodShed

• Archived User
Hdd Upgrades
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2006, 04:57:00 AM »

QUOTE(cobra112dsd @ Dec 1 2006, 01:18 AM) View Post

i don't think they all work....or maybe just the one i have (100gb fujitsu) which it is a sata and everything and slides into place it says unable to read from hard drive
can anyone help

Any 2.5" SATA HDD is supposed to work.  Hell that console site with the overpriced "PS3 HDD Upgrades" linked above is selling Fujitsu.  Do you get the error as soon as you turn on the system after inserting your HDD for the first time?

Make sure the drive is inserted all the way.  You may want to "reseat" the drive by removing and re-inserting it.  Make sure nothing is blocking the connections.

If it still does not recognized, you may want to try connecting the HDD to a PC, use some software from Fujitsu (probably came with some software) to write zeros to the drive.  This will take some time but guarantees you'll start with a clean drive.  To be safe, disconnect your PC HDD before you start so you don't accidentally wipe out the wrong drive.

theBloodShed

• Archived User
Hdd Upgrades
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2006, 08:00:00 AM »

I'm still waiting on my 120G drive.  In the meantime, I tried connecting the PS3 HDD to my PC.  Unfortunately the file system is unreadable in Windows.  I've read that it uses a file system called "Synergistic Processing Unit File System".  Apparently there are drivers under Linux for this.

mrRobinson

• Archived User
Hdd Upgrades
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2007, 07:19:00 AM »

QUOTE(cobra112dsd @ Nov 30 2006, 07:18 PM) View Post

i don't think they all work....or maybe just the one i have (100gb fujitsu) which it is a sata and everything and slides into place it says unable to read from hard drive
can anyone help

It should detect that it is unreadable and ask if you want to format it for the PS3 system.  Try booting your ps3 by holding down the "PS" button for 5 seconds.

R.MnTnA

• Archived User
Hdd Upgrades
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2008, 02:24:00 PM »

Has anyone found out what the outcome is if you format a HD in another PS3 system and then put it back in another?

freesafety13

• Archived User
Hdd Upgrades
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008, 12:11:00 AM »

I know before R.MnTnA posted in this thread that it has been dead for a year.  But I have questions about upgrading the ps3 hdd that I cant seem to get answered.

First, what exactly will I lose when I upgrade to a new HDD.  Will I lose all downloaded content, along with game saves.  

If I do lose all my downloaded content, which is a lot by the way, is there a way I could back that content up on my pc.  Or am I pretty much screwed and will have to redownload all that content again.  I am not that worried about the game saves since I have a flash drive, I however dont want to have to systematically download everything I have on there again, especially since, the last time I checked, you can only download 3 things at a time from the PSN store.

freesafety13

• Archived User
Hdd Upgrades
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 04:35:00 PM »

hello?

FCTE

• Archived User
Hdd Upgrades
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2008, 12:39:00 PM »

QUOTE(freesafety13 @ Mar 9 2008, 02:47 AM) View Post
First, what exactly will I lose when I upgrade to a new HDD.  Will I lose all downloaded content, along with game saves.

If I do lose all my downloaded content, which is a lot by the way, is there a way I could back that content up on my pc.  Or am I pretty much screwed and will have to redownload all that content again.  I am not that worried about the game saves since I have a flash drive, I however dont want to have to systematically download everything I have on there again, especially since, the last time I checked, you can only download 3 things at a time from the PSN store.

You can back up your data without any mods or a PC. All you need is an external HDD formatted in Fat32.

On the XMB go to: (Settings > System Settings > Backup Utility) and follow the instructions.

Then remove your old hard drive and replace it using the tut found on this site. Then the PS3 will have you reformat it on reboot. Then go back to "Backup Utility" and select "Restore."

You can redownload any content you have paid for in the PSN Store by signing into the store and going to "Download List" at the top right hand corner of the screen. It logs everything you buy.