xboxscene.org forums

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 20gb Model Now Has Hdmi!  (Read 568 times)

bucko

• Recovered User
20gb Model Now Has Hdmi!
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2006, 08:29:00 AM »

QUOTE(Ickypoopy @ Sep 22 2006, 02:35 PM) View Post

Are you kidding me?
The inclusion of HDCP on all models is one more reason to never buy one!
I will never buy any piece of hardware which is HDCP compliant, I like my hardware DRM-free.

Hehe that's very funny because pretty much everything is going hi-def and a lot of things are including HDCP compliment as default (including PC gfx cards, monitors, tv's) so you will be stuck in 2006 for the rest of your High-Def experience tongue.gif.

Mr Invader

• Archived User
20gb Model Now Has Hdmi!
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2006, 12:35:00 PM »

QUOTE(Kira Yamoto @ Sep 22 2006, 05:10 AM) View Post

Hmm, in more HDMI news, the dual HDMI port makes a return to the 60GB model.

I dont get it,  they say it will have it, then they don't, then they do!?
Sony is TOO easily manipulated by consumers. They can't stand behind any of there decisions.

And Dual HDMI at 1080p isn’t the smartest thing to have considering its optimized for dual letterbox HDTV’s. Are there any 1080p letterbox TVs? I haven’t seen any.

And statistics show that less than 1% of households have one 1080p television, let alone two. If this feature came out in several years then it would be different. But right now very few will experience the dual HDMI

And there still isn’t any upgrade for the core system from 1 HDMI to 2 HDMIs, so you’re getting ripped off again for the cheaper one.

Lame

Ickypoopy

• Archived User
20gb Model Now Has Hdmi!
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2006, 08:06:00 PM »

QUOTE(epsilon72 @ Sep 22 2006, 03:47 PM) View Post

No HDCP = Blu-ray movies NOT running at full res.

It's not like you can bypass the whole ICT thing if your device isn't HDCP compliant.  It's more like HDCP enables the ability for you to play movies at full res.  HDCP won't be implemented until 2010 or 2012 though.

I hate HDCP too, but I would rather see my movies in full res than not...

The ICT is not currently in use.  It is something they can choose to exercise at a later time.  The reason they are not enforcing the ICT yet is because there are so few fully-HDCP compliant systems in the consumer's hands, and they are going to wait for a larger portion of them. THerefore, the only way to prevent adoption of the ICT is to reject HDCP in all its forms.

Get it?

Kira Yamoto

• Archived User
20gb Model Now Has Hdmi!
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2006, 10:04:00 PM »

And Dual HDMI at 1080p isn’t the smartest thing to have considering its optimized for dual letterbox HDTV’s. Are there any 1080p letterbox TVs? I haven’t seen any.

The 60GB model is yet again the choice for HT setups.  Because you don't want to be using TV speakers (as HDMI carries audio/video signal) they give you another port to hook in directly into the reciever.  You hook the other one into the TV.  Using HDMI enables high-def audio so this is important for movies and some games that have high-end sound.

The 20GB model is only capable of 1 HDMI output, so either your reciever has to have 2 initially (input/output) or you're screwed.  1 HDMI going to the TV means you're going to get standard 2ch sound and/or using the digital output, or using the analog output from your TV into your reciever.  You're not going to get full capability from movies b/c some features only work through HDMI such as Dolby TrueHD.

In addition to the sound output, yeah its for dual display as well.  16:9 1080p TV's do exist (and that's the only aspect ratio they exist in), whether you've seen them or not.  Hell I know of one that costs 1299 with all inputs capable of recieving a 1080p signal.

Martinchris23

• Archived User
20gb Model Now Has Hdmi!
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2006, 03:05:00 AM »

QUOTE(Kira Yamoto @ Sep 25 2006, 05:11 AM) View Post

Hell I know of one that costs 1299 with all inputs capable of recieving a 1080p signal.

Can you provide a link? Also, does it OUTPUT at 1080p?

Kira Yamoto

• Archived User
20gb Model Now Has Hdmi!
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2006, 03:15:00 AM »

QUOTE(Martinchris23 @ Sep 25 2006, 10:12 AM) View Post

Can you provide a link? Also, does it OUTPUT at 1080p?

yes it outputs at 1080p.

http://www.avsforum........age=1&pp=30
http://www.westingho...0p-monitor.aspx

eh, someone listed the best buy one for cheaper, but here's one from newegg, 100 bucks than I said earlier
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16889234001

Kira Yamoto

• Archived User
20gb Model Now Has Hdmi!
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2006, 03:34:00 AM »

it seems like its only 1x for 60gb after all.  It was talked about at TGS and someone spread the rumor according to what was said.  I could provide the exact quote but that's pointless now.  So disregard dual HDMI.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
20gb Model Now Has Hdmi!
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2006, 08:43:00 AM »

QUOTE(Kira Yamoto @ Sep 25 2006, 12:11 AM) View Post

The 60GB model is yet again the choice for HT setups.  Because you don't want to be using TV speakers (as HDMI carries audio/video signal) they give you another port to hook in directly into the reciever.  You hook the other one into the TV.  Using HDMI enables high-def audio so this is important for movies and some games that have high-end sound.

1st - There is no such thing as "high-def audio" There is such thing as surround sound and it's carried over a digital S/P-DIf interface (It stand for Sony/Philips Digital Interface). SPDIf only requires 1 wire and it is exactly the same whether that is an optical cable, a coax cable or a single wire inside of an HDMI harness. (if you're wondering there is only 1 audio pin (SPDIf) on an HDMI connector, it's pin #

2nd - Every HDTV that I have ever seen with an HDMI port has offered an optical or coax out so you can feed the audio back into a reciever (thus no need for a 2nd port)

3rd - Every surround sound reciever I have ever seen with an HDMI has both an input and output where it strips the audio from the signal before passing the video off to the HDTV.

4th - Even sony's explanation for including the 2nd HDMI port was not for splitting the HDMI signal but for output to more then one monitor... meaning that each port would be outputting a completely different audio/video stream.

5th - The PS2 backpannel as well as the prototype PS3 backpannel have a Toslink connector for SPDIf audio... why would sony remove that from the final unit?

If they're not planning on doing dual displays it wouldn't make sense for them to include a 2nd port... even if they did I still don't think it would be all that desirable to "HT Enthusiests" (which I consider myself to be)

Kira Yamoto

• Archived User
20gb Model Now Has Hdmi!
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2006, 12:46:00 PM »

http://www.dolby.com...ogy/trueHD.html

explain why they named their newest codec trueHD then.  If its offering 8 channels and is their next-gen codec/format, then why couldn't it be "high-def" What's the definition behind high definition?  I think that there's enough changes and updates in TrueHD to deserve the name TrueHD standing for True High Definition.

NicoBech

• Archived User
20gb Model Now Has Hdmi!
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2006, 01:16:00 PM »

taken from dolby

Features
100 percent lossless coding technology.
Up to 18 Mbps bit rate.
Supports up to eight full-range channels of 24-bit/96 kHz audio.*
Supported by High-Definition Media Interface (HDMI™), the new single-cable digital connection for audio and video.
Supports extensive metadata including dialogue normalization and dynamic range control.

100 percent lossless is the keyword, I think.... you don't loose anything..... but TrueHD is just the codec name..... I could plaster a spoiler on my bike and call that a MoFo-speed-increasing gadget...... It's a name don't put too much into it.....

Benefits
Delivers enthralling studio-master-quality sound that unlocks the true high-definition entertainment experience on next-generation discs.
Offers more discrete channels than ever before for impeccable surround sound.
Compatible with the A/V receivers and home-theaters-in-a-box (HTIBs) of today and tomorrow.
Dialogue normalization maintains the same volume level when you change to other Dolby Digital and Dolby TrueHD programming.
Dynamic range control (Night mode) enables you to customize audio playback to reduce peak volume levels (no loud surprises) while experiencing all the details in the soundtrack, enabling late-night viewing of high-energy surround sound without disturbing others.
/Selected as the mandatory format for HD DVD and as an optional format for Blu-ray Disc.
Next-Generation High Definition
Pages: 1 [2]