xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Playstation 3 Indepth "retail" Unit Walkthrough  (Read 289 times)

redwolf

• Archived User
Playstation 3 Indepth "retail" Unit Walkthrough
« on: August 29, 2006, 02:35:00 PM »

http://www.gametrail...=12742&type=wmv

looks massive but slick... and has more holes they your wife  laugh.gif

Mr Invader

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2006, 03:13:00 PM »

Nothing impressive...

I saw alot of things that were copied off of the 360 though (guide button, wireless controller plug in, sensitive triggers) and nothing really catched my eye.

lex_luther23

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2006, 04:40:00 PM »

ROFLMAO

him and his oven mitts it can't be that hot!!! LMAO

incognegro

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 04:54:00 AM »

Finally they put some holes in there! I thought the us government would have to classify it as a terrorist device cause of lack of ventilation on that thing.

Customs might think its a BOMB!

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 10:01:00 AM »

WOW I didn't realize they ripped off the analog triggers too.

It's about damn time! analog triggers are one of the best features you could put on a controller.

Now how many more generations will it be before they get out of the dark ages and decide to swap the d-pad and left analog like it should be  rolleyes.gif  Having it like that on the PS1 was fine because there were quite a few PS1 games that didn't use it or were d-pad prominent, especially considering it was added half way through the generation. But c'mon, at this point the way games are going most controllers could do without the D-Pad at all. A good example is the fact that most people didn't even realize the D-pad on the Xbox 360 sucked until they downloaded Street Fighter 2... because it was the first time they ever really needed it.

ikecomp

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2006, 12:57:00 PM »

I disagree. I hope the d-pad never leaves. That was one of my main gripes with halo 2. The fact that I couldn't use the d-pad to control the movement of master chief. Plus I still use it in all of my sports and driving games because the precision to me is still better than the analog stick. For example, whenever I play madden 07 and kick the ball using the analog stick I notice that the accuracy meter is never perfectly straight when I press up. Its always slightly at an angle.

incognegro

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2006, 07:27:00 PM »

Using the D pad for movement is just ancient! Never ever wanna see that come back. With that I aside, I disagree with getting rid of the D pad though. I mean for first person shooters, the controller needs as much as it can get. I like when they map weapons to the d pad (utter genius!) like in doom 3.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2006, 09:13:00 PM »

I think you guys are mis-interpreting my meaning....

I LOVE the D-PAD and I also hope it never goes away.... I was just saying that it's uses by todays games and most of todays gamers so infrequently that it could go away without disrupting too many games or too many people...

The point that it's used so infrequently leads me to question why it's still in the dominant spot on the PS3 controller, as IMO even the PS2 was archaic in that respect.

Kira Yamoto

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2006, 05:56:00 AM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Aug 31 2006, 04:20 AM) View Post

I think you guys are mis-interpreting my meaning....

I LOVE the D-PAD and I also hope it never goes away.... I was just saying that it's uses by todays games and most of todays gamers so infrequently that it could go away without disrupting too many games or too many people...

The point that it's used so infrequently leads me to question why it's still in the dominant spot on the PS3 controller, as IMO even the PS2 was archaic in that respect.

because the lower spot in the middle is more comfortable than the spot the D-pad currently resides in.  It's too high, and the analog sticks sticking out even higher makes that worse.  Also the position doesnt allow for room for precise control in all directions, as it's too high.......You have to think about hands of all sizes.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2006, 06:36:00 AM »

QUOTE(Kira Yamoto @ Aug 31 2006, 08:03 AM) View Post

.......You have to think about hands of all sizes.

If thats the case then they certainly didn't think about my hands... the thumb sticks are so far in towards the center of the controller that I can't push in towards the center without physically moving my whole hand.

Meaning that with a normal grip I can't push "right" on the left stick and I can't push "left" on the right stick unless I loosen my grip more towards the tips of my fingers and physically move my whole hand in that direction.

I've never had any problems using any other analog controller with the exception of the original Xbox Duke which has a similar problem.

The analog sticks are in a poor position, the controller was not designed with analog sticks in mind, it was a SNES controller with some extra shoulder buttons then Sony decided to throw on some analog sticks to compete with Nintendo and Sega, both of whom redesigned their design for analog controllers to be more analog friendly. The analog sticks were basically placed in a location where they would fit on the existing controller, ergonomics and human factors didn't factor much into the design.

If the center of the controller was really the best place for a directional control then why wasn't the D-Pad located there on the original PS controller? The D-Pad was located where it was originally because it was the best place for it, At the time the D-pad got more use then analogs so it got the prime real-estate. That's no longer the case so why is it still like that? Are they afraid of change? Are they afraid it will screw up the visual symmetry of the controller?

I'm sure a lot of people are comfortable with it because Sony has been using this design now for the past 10 years but that doesn't mean it's a good design, if you stand in a pile of shit for long enough you'll get use to the smell, it doesn't mean it doesn't smell bad or that people who don't unusually stand it can't smell it. It also doesn't mean you shouldn't look for some place to stand that doesn't smell as bad.

redwolf

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2006, 03:03:00 PM »

so, nobody noticed the German guy said..."hmmmm....just for MTV"  laugh.gif

and the PS button....what a rip off dry.gif but really happy that they added trigger buttons. anyone know if the other buttons, including d-pad are pressure sensitive?

jwin767

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2006, 06:09:00 PM »

did anybody notice how many flashing lights on the top of the controler? i saw 4 lights, i thought ps3 would support upto 7 players??? anouther feature took out laugh.gif

Mr Invader

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2006, 06:12:00 PM »

QUOTE(jwin767 @ Sep 4 2006, 07:16 PM) View Post

did anybody notice how many flashing lights on the top of the controler? i saw 4 lights, i thought ps3 would support upto 7 players??? anouther feature took out laugh.gif

hey yeah! even in the pre-e3 confereence they said it would still have 7 players. I had a strong feeling that it would be taken out but i wasn't sure before this