xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Hdd Upgradeable  (Read 284 times)

incognegro

• Archived User
Hdd Upgradeable
« on: May 12, 2006, 06:03:00 PM »

Yea i noticed that.........good news for ps3 buyers (im not one....)! ATA though? whats up with that? probabaly cost reasons or capacity issues.

JustDanMI

• Archived User
Hdd Upgradeable
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006, 09:28:00 AM »

That's a HUGE bonus that you can go to Best Buy and get a larger HDD.  Especially when compared to the 360's $100 20 gig HDD.

ghostnova

• Archived User
Hdd Upgradeable
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 01:22:00 PM »

QUOTE(yourM0M @ May 12 2006, 04:40 PM) View Post

this seems like a huge door to hacking if they will just let us install any ol'e "standard PC drive"

I thought about it, and this seems very unlike Sony. Generally to connect to any Sony device, you need another Sony device. (that's why I hate Sony). And this would be a huge step in a new direction.  

Playing games of the hardrive or the memory cards, are the only way of hacking a PS3 I think. I mean, if blu ray players are so expensive, can you imagine how expensive blu ray burners must be?

For games, I'm not very concerned though, since there are only  up to a maximum of 10-20 titles that I want per console generation. And since I don't have time to play them all (10 to 20 * 3 = 30 to 60 games + PC games = more than anyone sane should play), I can live with buying them. (At least used, as I finish them.)

Developing homebrew stuff, would be fun though. I really want to play with the Cell.

ikecomp

• Archived User
Hdd Upgradeable
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 01:51:00 PM »

The drives are serial ATA laptop drives. At least according to this

http://www.scei.co.j...df/060509ae.pdf

ikecomp

• Archived User
Hdd Upgradeable
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 06:08:00 PM »

Yes and No. SATA drives are becoming quite common these days. I see more advertisements for SATA drives on sites like new egg than I see for PATA or regular ATA 100/133 drives. The only problem is that they are of the 3.5" variety not the 2.5".

And I think a lot of people are saying that you can just plop in any old drive because in a fairly recent interview (Phil harrison is his name I believe) it was stated that you could just upgrade using an ordinary "ATA" drive. All of this info is from sony so you should take it with a grain of salt until we start seeing final hardware in the wild.

yourM0M

• Archived User
Hdd Upgradeable
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2006, 07:00:00 PM »

LMAO i just cant get over all the crap $ony talks, this is a quote from an interview that i saw in another thread.

" Kutaragi goes on to once again compare the PS3 to a personal computer, adding that built-to-order PS3s are a distinct possibility. He also predicts Sony could release larger hard drives, up to 120GB, as early as next year. Kutaragi also mentions that the PS3 has been designed using a "modularized format," which will make removing and installing new components a simple procedure. "
>>>>link to the above qoute http://www.gametrail...ews.php?id=3342

so back to the original news story that brought along this topic....Big Phil Harrion claimed you could just swap in "any" ol'e ATA drive.......why would $ony release a 120gb drive "next year"?? what next chinese new year LMAO these guys dont know their head from their a$$, i guess since they are too busy talking out of them both!!
 jester.gif

just gonna sit back and continue to watch the show  jester.gif   pop.gif