xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Ibm Runs Spec Tests On The Ps3  (Read 306 times)

KAGE360

• Archived User
Ibm Runs Spec Tests On The Ps3
« on: May 01, 2006, 07:34:00 AM »

It seems to me that now that the 3rd Playstation is to be released in the foreseeable future, the average person would realize that Sony loves to over exaggerate how powerful their products are. It also seems that IBM has run spec tests on the PS3 and has come to quite an interesting conclusion.

“At this year’s E3 (or thereabouts) Sony proclaimed that their processor could achieve 200GFLOPS! However, according to IBM’s white paper, only 155.5 GFLOPS was actually achieved (Table 4). BUT, IBM’s tests used all 8 SPEs. The PS3 will only use 7 SPE’s, due to manufacturing yield issues.

The efficiency of the Cell is 75.9% (Table 4), with of a theoretical peak of 201GFLOPs (Figure 5)–running 8 SPEs at 25.12GFLOPS apiece (Table 2). Similarly, the theoretical peak for the PS3’s processor will be 176GFLOPS, using 7 SPEs at 25.12GFLOPS apiece. Assuming the same 75.9% efficiency, we could easily interpolate the PS3’s Cell to be capable of 133.6GFLOPS.”

What? 133.6GFLOPS? 133.6GFLOPS doesn’t look very much like 200GFLOPS. The Xbox360 is capable of 115GFLOPS. I may not be too great at Math, but that seems a little far from the “twice the processing power of the Xbox 360″ statement that was thrown around by Sony execs in the past. I will never understand why the army of Sony fans will defend a brand who lies to them time and time again whenever new hardware is released.

With this news, and word that the OS on the PS3 might be sucking down 19% of the processing power, MS is making the Xbox360 look more and more honest and consumer friendly. Not in the way that it’s easy to use, but the fact that MS doesn’t seem to lie to the consumer about the Xbox360.

This was also in their report:

“…Not to mention that one of the SPE’s in the PS3 are reserved for the OS and the bottlenecking of the data transfer between the SPE’s and the on board memory. I see the 360 hand in hand with a gaming Revolution taking home this next round at least, if not the whole cake over time.”

Things are looking up for the Xbox 360’s position in the consolewars.

http://www.xboxic.com/news/781

now keep in mind that even though this is reported on a xbox site, the actual article the report talks about is done by IBM.  with them winning from all 3 next gen systems, they have no reason to be anything but honest.  also keep in mind that there spec report was with 7 SPEs, and not with consideration to how much the OS will be crippling the system.    

so if the performance difference is 133.6GFLOPS vs. 115GFLOPS with no OS on the ps3, then i wonder how close it will be when the Cell has to run the OS constantly.  

again for those sensitive types out there this isnt to downplay the ps3 or say its a PoS, but instead to bring about reality that the next gen systems are earily closer then you would imagine.  

Deftech

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 10:05:00 AM »

beerchug.gif

KAGE360

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 05:38:00 AM »

QUOTE(UHYVE @ May 1 2006, 07:18 PM) View Post

You know, I'm pretty sure that the 113 GFlops of the 360 was including the GPU. I'd assume Sonys claim of 200 GFlops also in-cluded the GPU, which I would imagine brings the PS3 upto around 200GFlops

nope CPUs only.  its all there in the data sheet.

Foe-hammer

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 04:19:00 PM »

QUOTE(KAGE360 @ May 2 2006, 05:45 AM) View Post

nope CPUs only.  its all there in the data sheet.

Good call.

Although both consoles CPU's are a bitch to program for, and will take awhile before they can even match current top of the line single and duel core CPU's for the PC.  I hope it will be sooner rather then later.