xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Tomshardware On Ps3  (Read 399 times)

Tripme

• Archived User
Tomshardware On Ps3
« on: March 24, 2006, 08:54:00 PM »

PS3 at GDC

Thought this was funny....not trying to bash Sony but I mean come on, this is kinda pathetic.

Mods, please move if this belongs in another forum.

LuridSpectre

• Archived User
Tomshardware On Ps3
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 10:19:00 PM »

It does belong in another forum, but yes, it's true that the PS3 won't display in 1080p... at least for the games.

There's no possible way.

Blu-Ray movies, maybe.  Games, hell no.

saunders73

• Archived User
Tomshardware On Ps3
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2006, 05:53:00 AM »

I can see why they delayed it, i wonder if the slim box is having problems running audio so they had to use the pc box one

Xombe

• Archived User
Tomshardware On Ps3
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2006, 07:15:00 AM »

If you think it needs moving please consider where you post it in the first place... such as the Playstation3 forum.

Moving now...

DragoNs

• Recovered User
Tomshardware On Ps3
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2006, 06:15:00 PM »

QUOTE(LuridSpectre @ Mar 25 2006, 12:26 AM) View Post

It does belong in another forum, but yes, it's true that the PS3 won't display in 1080p... at least for the games.

There's no possible way.

Blu-Ray movies, maybe.  Games, hell no.

And what if Sony releases games in 1080p and then what will you say? atleast i know ill be laughing at the people who doubted them.

whiteblur67

• Archived User
Tomshardware On Ps3
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2006, 07:19:00 PM »

1080p is twice the resolution of 720p

no chance in hell for this generation(maybe if they delay it for a couple more years jester.gif )

CattyKid

• Archived User
Tomshardware On Ps3
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2006, 08:45:00 PM »

QUOTE(DragoNs @ Mar 25 2006, 08:22 PM) View Post

And what if Sony releases games in 1080p and then what will you say? atleast i know ill be laughing at the people who doubted them.

No, the PS3 won't output games in 1080p.  Ask Sony.  THEY said they won't.
Oh, and the PS3 WILL use HDMI.  It HAS to.  Part of the Blu-Ray spec against piracy is that it HAS to be in HDMI (or DVI-something) because only those can carry copy protection signals.  And Blu-Ray in full definition (I believe) must be played with this copy protection intact.

kidkinetix

• Archived User
Tomshardware On Ps3
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2006, 02:13:00 PM »

you can still use component cables with blu-ray / hd-dvd movies, but you'll be downsampled to 540p, so still better than dvd, but barely.  This is a decent compromise, if you have a tv that is too old to have HDMI then you'd probably be happy with 540p, with displays nice at 1080i.

calderra

• Archived User
Tomshardware On Ps3
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2006, 08:04:00 AM »

The real reason I started coming to this forum was to learn what people see in the PS3 (and I browse a few other forums as well for the same reason). But the more I try to actually read up on the PS3 through coming to forums like this... the more I just find Sony's effort to be bizzarely laughable. Some more great moments from this article:

"...we were interested in why Sony did not run the units with HDMI [...] we were told that it isn't easy to get a hold of HDMI-equipped TVs."
-The Sony corporation itself (or its representation?) has trouble acquiring HDMI televisions and cables? And they're expecting consumers to have them on a (fairly?) large scale? (Obviously, HDMI will be critical to getting the most out of BluRay...)
 uhh.gif

"...it was announced that the PS3 will use HDMI 1.3, [...] Current TVs generally use HDMI 1.1, which do not support these extensions and create significant audio noise when connected to a HDMI 1.3 device."
-So people who DO have HDMI now probably won't get all the system's features, and they'll have audio problems?
 uhh.gif

Please, someone, tell me I'm missing something here. Is there a way to make the PS3 compatible with both standards? I can't imagine they'd be dumb enough to shoot themselved in the foot so badly from the start- alienating fans who already purchased HDMI shead of time in preparation.

Even then, how many people are going to own HDMI 1.3 televisions anytime soon? Most HDTV enthusiasts seem to be enjoying their Component cables. And maybe even some DVI connections from time to time. But I work retail, and I've seen a total of one person ever even mention an HDMI port, and that person does high-end graphics work.

The Xbox 360 and probably the Revolution take advantage of HDTV, sure, but they don't require it to the extent that BluRay obviously will. The PS3 will HAVE to run on HDMI from what I've read- unless I'm totally off-base, the BluRay format requires those cables for content protection, and BluRay can't be played otherwise. Even if there was a downsampled signal for Component cables, the combination of current install base and potential HDMI version problems seems to say only a fraction of buyers will have the proper technology to display the system's true potential.

Or am I crazy?