xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Video Streaming Capacity Of Ps3  (Read 857 times)

rimmi2002

• Archived User
Video Streaming Capacity Of Ps3
« on: September 01, 2008, 11:43:00 PM »

I currently have a XBOX-1 and love it for Xbox Media Center. I download a lot of my shows and like the convenience of being able to watch them on the TV straight from the computer.

XBMC is very versatile and runs pretty much anything including DVDs streamed to it. My question is how does the PS3 streaming compare to XBMC. I just got a new plasma TV and was thinking of using the PS3 cause it can give a better resolution with 720p or 1080i whereas the original xbox is only 480i. Any input will be helpful. Thanks.

ldotsfan

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 09:35:00 AM »

xbox v1 with MS HD AV Pack (Component cable) can go up to 720p and 1080i.
PS3 with HDMI can go up to 1080p

willalbert

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 07:35:00 AM »

QUOTE(ldotsfan @ Sep 3 2008, 04:35 PM) *

but can it stream music/movies, etc.  directly from a networked pc like xbmc does?

bigdaddy25fb

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 10:38:00 AM »

Yes, PS3 is UPnP compatible. I have mine streaming video from my FreeNAS server.

rimmi2002

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 04:42:00 PM »

QUOTE(ldotsfan @ Sep 3 2008, 04:35 PM) View Post

If I use component cables for Xbox will there be much of a difference between the quality of picture on a HDTV between the PS3 and Xbox?

Also how is the codec compatability for PS3 compared to a Xbox 1. I like that XBMC plays pretty much everything including *.vob files on my computer. Can a PS3 do the same things with appropriate software?

Thanks for your help guys.

toopy

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2008, 06:41:00 PM »

get some component cables for ur xbox, then go to display settings in xbmc and set to 1080.

the only reason I left XBMC is because my xbox fried itself, the PS3 is good at streaming but you need a fast pc with and Tversity setup correctly for it to be successfull.

I'd stick with XBMC if its only for streaming atm, unless you really want a PS3  biggrin.gif , hopefully sony will increase their codec libary soon.

rimmi2002

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2008, 07:20:00 PM »

QUOTE(toopy @ Sep 20 2008, 02:17 AM) View Post

get some component cables for ur xbox, then go to display settings in xbmc and set to 1080.

the only reason I left XBMC is because my xbox fried itself, the PS3 is good at streaming but you need a fast pc with and Tversity setup correctly for it to be successfull.

I'd stick with XBMC if its only for streaming atm, unless you really want a PS3  biggrin.gif , hopefully sony will increase their codec libary soon.

Thanks for the input. I got the component cable. Luckily a gamespot next to my place had it for $5. The XBMC menu definately looks a lot better.  The shows themselves are not that much better, but I guess alot of that has to do with that the orignal source is only 680x480 or so in resolution. I'll try dling some bluray and HD content and see if that makes a difference.

Can anyone get there XBMC to play x264 codec encoded *.mkv file?

zetski210

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2008, 06:23:00 PM »

I used my Xbox with XBMC for many years to stream videos and music from my PC via a wireless network. Worked like a charm  biggrin.gif

About a month ago, we (wife and I) decided it was time to upgrade. Actually, my wife wanted to play the next installment of GTA and we decided to get a PS3 considering that there is a "rumor" that the PlayTV will eventually be released here in Australia sometime in the next year or so...   smile.gif

So, we now have our PS3 connected to the wireless network and use Tversity to stream videos and music from the PC. I must say that I'm disappointed with the performance as compared to the Xbox  mad.gif , or maybe I haven't correctly set up Tversity.  blink.gif

We only have an SD TV at the moment  sad.gif  and therefore the transcoding of the video files should not be that intensive, but the wireless network is only 54 Mbps. The PS3 tends to lose connection with the media server fairly often, usually in the middle of a video, and the video takes a long time to buffer once selected. Given that, it's almost impossible to search/scan through the video as the buffering is pathetic. I hope that this is due to the transcoding of the video files as they are streamed and I'm currently investigating using a gigabit router instead of the 54 Mbps wireless that we currently have.

So, for the time-being, we use PS3 Video converter to convert all our videos, put them on a USB drive and watch them that way. That, at least, works flawlessly.  pop.gif .

mjoc13

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 08:21:00 PM »

QUOTE(rimmi2002 @ Sep 19 2008, 08:56 PM) View Post

Thanks for the input. I got the component cable. Luckily a gamespot next to my place had it for $5. The XBMC menu definately looks a lot better.  The shows themselves are not that much better, but I guess alot of that has to do with that the orignal source is only 680x480 or so in resolution. I'll try dling some bluray and HD content and see if that makes a difference.

Can anyone get there XBMC to play x264 codec encoded *.mkv file?

the mkv is just a container, and yes xbmc can play them. But the underlying file if a 720p/1080i file will not play without dropped frames; hence making it unwatchable. This is simply due to the fact that the hardware is not fast enough to decode and display the frames.

the xbox 360 and ps3 have more then enough power under the hood to do the job, but both can not read the mkv container. So if you really want that high def file to play you will have to convert it to mp4 (x264 is already a variant of mp4 so thats fine), and within an avi container.

I have both the 360 and ps3, and for streaming media the 360 wins....for now.