xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Firmware update beats Blu-ray hackers  (Read 824 times)

PS3Scene

• Archived User
Firmware update beats Blu-ray hackers
« on: December 15, 2008, 11:15:00 PM »

Posted by XanTium | 16-12-2008 0:39 EST

From techradar.com:

A new Blu-ray firmware update has fixed a flaw in the format's DRM, which made the discs susceptible to piracy.

The update is for BD+ and makes the format secure once more, after companies like SlySoft, creators of the AnyDVD HD software, bragged about finding a way around the disc's DRM.

Admittedly, someone called James on the SlySoft forums does think that the new update won't hold for long, saying that he "estimates February 2009 for the new BD+ to be defeated."

Full Story: techradar.com

chronno

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 11:15:00 AM »

February 2009?  Doesn't that seem long for cracking DRM?

I hope everyone knows how to update their Blu-Ray drives and the manufacturer is still outputting the updates for the older devices.

I wonder when this update will be released.  Do I have to unwrap the Blu-Rays or do I have to depend on my mom being tech savvy enough to update it herself?  She doesn't have a network nor do I think she knows how to burn an ISO.

mercury187

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 06:57:00 PM »

get her a ps3 with a psn profile, it will tell her if she needs an update whenever she signs on and it will download and install it after you hit agree.... with a standalone, who knows....

Zod5000

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2008, 02:41:00 AM »

Nothing is unhackable.

DRM is more like a speed bump, that occasionally slows down hackers.

It's a waste of money, because it always gets defeated.  The worse part of it is, they have to pay for R and D on it, so its paid for in the blurays we actually do buy.

It sucks.