xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Ahhhhhhhhh Mkv Files!  (Read 132 times)

Colin_S

• Archived User
Ahhhhhhhhh Mkv Files!
« on: November 02, 2007, 02:02:00 PM »

How can i play a 1080p24 mvk file on or through my PS3?

All i want to do is watch transformers in HD, nothing else that's it. Why is it so hard??? I can't buy a HD DVD player just to watch transformers please help me get the file to play on or though my PS3 i don't care if it;s on the hard drive or stream.

iam

• Archived User
Ahhhhhhhhh Mkv Files!
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007, 08:14:00 PM »

QUOTE(Colin_S @ Nov 2 2007, 08:02 PM) View Post

How can i play a 1080p24 mvk file on or through my PS3?

All i want to do is watch transformers in HD, nothing else that's it. Why is it so hard??? I can't buy a HD DVD player just to watch transformers please help me get the file to play on or though my PS3 i don't care if it;s on the hard drive or stream.

You can't.
PS3 does not support the mkv container.
Some people are working at fixing this... just be patient!
You will have to do this through Linux (mplayer) though when (if) it's ready, unless Sony decides to support the mkv container but don't hold you breath on this.

Colin_S

• Archived User
Ahhhhhhhhh Mkv Files!
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 07:59:00 AM »

Sorry i knew that, it was my frustration cuased me to miss some information.  I want to be able to convert my 1080P DTS transformers mkv file to a playable PS3 format.  Been trying for weeks!!!!!

warrior15r

• Archived User
Ahhhhhhhhh Mkv Files!
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 11:13:00 PM »

QUOTE(Colin_S @ Nov 16 2007, 03:59 PM) View Post

Sorry i knew that, it was my frustration cuased me to miss some information.  I want to be able to convert my 1080P DTS transformers mkv file to a playable PS3 format.  Been trying for weeks!!!!!

http://www.redkawa.c...ters/ps3video9/

Enjoy.

Colin_S

• Archived User
Ahhhhhhhhh Mkv Files!
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007, 02:29:00 PM »

thanks buddy but that just crashes when i try.

dustemoff

• Archived User
Ahhhhhhhhh Mkv Files!
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 06:20:00 AM »

worked great for me

thanks for the tip

wink.gif

Kamasutra318

• Archived User
Ahhhhhhhhh Mkv Files!
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 08:03:00 AM »

It would help if you were specific with the audio and video types and not just the container. I recommend mkv2vob if its H.264/AC3. If it's not AC3 audio then you might be able to get away with remuxing into MP4. Both of these solutions require no transcoding, so the time it takes is minimal and there would be no quality loss.

If neither of the above work then I recommend using Xvid4PSP. Despite the name, there are many selectable profiles including PS3.

Edit: Oops. I didn't notice how old this thread was. I guess this person either found a solution or gave up a while ago.

The_Dogg

• Archived User
Ahhhhhhhhh Mkv Files!
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2008, 10:15:00 PM »

I just went to videohelp.com and type mkv to PS3 and found a few solutions.

best one for me was this one:

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/GOTSent

usually there is no conversion needed, just the container has to be changed to a format the PS3 reads (in this case mpg) so for a 8GB movie, it usually takes 45 mins.

most mkv file you download shouldn't need to be converted, but some have to.

HotKnife420

• Archived User
Ahhhhhhhhh Mkv Files!
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 07:02:00 PM »

QUOTE(too2buff @ Jul 27 2008, 04:26 PM) View Post

will the PS3 play m2ts files or M2t files without hacking?  If so can someone point me in the direction of that please

thanks

Yes, however for it to display properly I believe you must stream it over a network, or load it from an external hdd. It's possible it may play otherwise, still. If your video was previously encoded in a profile that's higher than 4.1, you must change the profile to 4.1 (easily done with TS Muxer).

If you know what you're doing, I'd suggest making an AVCHD disc, as it's Sony's format, and happens to be the same layout as a BD. If your source file isn't a "standard" resolution, however, it won't display properly (ie a 720p movie in 2.35.1 AR with the black bars already cropped would be 1280x544, but as an AVCHD, will not be properly centered, and leave a giant green bar at the bottom of the picture).

I've been searching for a way to add black bars, but for some reason, I can't. I can't use Nero Vision (despite the fact that it has an option for AVCHD authoring), which is usually my "if all else fails" option. If anybody has some insight on this, I could use it(adding black bars to h264 video) smile.gif

scottylans

• Archived User
Ahhhhhhhhh Mkv Files!
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 01:49:00 AM »

Is anyone else absoloutely crushed we won't be getting XBMC for PS3?  So sad that Sony closed the loophole on the system.

I really really wanted HD-XBMC for PS3, it's part of the reason I purchased it.
(It was still being discussed as a possibility when  Igot my PS3, they hadn't closed the loophole)