xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Ps3 And Divx  (Read 151 times)

silentbob343

• Archived User
Ps3 And Divx
« on: November 30, 2006, 10:43:00 AM »

QUOTE(kaneda68 @ Nov 30 2006, 11:39 AM) View Post

Anyone here know if the PS3 will run Divx files? And if not, what format do I have to convert these files to?

You can convert them to MP4 or install linux

kaneda68

• Archived User
Ps3 And Divx
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 06:06:00 AM »

Anyone here know of a good/fast and free application to convert AVI to somethign that the PS3 will understand without installing Linux?

KaRiL

• Archived User
Ps3 And Divx
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 08:48:00 AM »

ffmpegx
will convert practically anything to Mp4 I use it for PSP and Ipod, haven't tried the PS3 yet....
but I think its mac OS only

apocknight

• Archived User
Ps3 And Divx
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 05:12:00 PM »

you may also be able to just change it from .avi to .mp4 and have it work.

jspudz

• Archived User
Ps3 And Divx
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 08:31:00 AM »

no divx / xvid love. in my opinon MS and Sony both dropped the ball on the "media center" expereince by failing to provide this.

However I recommend using SUPER Encoder to transcode your videos if you want to watch them on the PS3. Its a great program that uses FFMPEG to do the work, so the quality is great. Find it here super encoder

Thraxen

• Archived User
Ps3 And Divx
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2007, 08:13:00 PM »

QUOTE(jspudz @ Dec 21 2006, 09:38 AM) View Post

no divx / xvid love. in my opinon MS and Sony both dropped the ball on the "media center" expereince by failing to provide this.

However I recommend using SUPER Encoder to transcode your videos if you want to watch them on the PS3. Its a great program that uses FFMPEG to do the work, so the quality is great. Find it here super encoder

I just downloaded that SUPER Encoder program and have a few questions.  What video options do you typically select?  Specifically, the aspect, frames/sec, bitrate, and "stretch it" options.  For aspect, it's possible to not select anything, so will that leave the video in its OAR?  Most videos I'll be looking to convert will be 720p, so what bitrate would sufficient? And what does "stretch it" do?  It sounds like it would stretch the video to fill your screen aspect ratio (which I would not want... I want everything in OAR).

Thanks!