xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ps3 Review  (Read 183 times)

silentbob343

• Archived User
Ps3 Review
« on: November 14, 2006, 08:03:00 PM »

QUOTE(as905 @ Nov 14 2006, 10:58 PM) View Post

PS3 Looking Really Good: the way to go for Next Generation IMHO.

check details & review on the link below:

http://videogames.ya...e...2482&page=0

Cnet has done a reviews as well

incognegro

• Archived User
Ps3 Review
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 02:41:00 AM »

not that interesting...but an ok review.

Mr Invader

• Archived User
Ps3 Review
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 11:51:00 AM »

Jet engine? I take it that you are comparing to the 360s. Most 360s now hardly make any noise, and aren't hot to the touch. Mine is reefurbished and it gets slightly warm

mlmadmax

• Archived User
Ps3 Review
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 01:32:00 PM »

All 14x DVD drives are loud, that is what people are hearing, and nothing can be done about that. And I barely have to turn my home theatre system up at all to not hear the drive.

The fact that the PS3 seems quite is great but the one I heard at Best Buy had a loud fan some where. It might have been in the kiosk though and it got warm.

My 360 without a game in and playing a HD-DVD is whisper quite.

No review I have read to date touches on my biggest problem with the PS3, the lack of a scaler chip. This is a huge flaw since it is going to be hard to mach games to the correct native resolution on a TV.

There are a couple games running at 1080p, those will look great on a 1080p TV and like crap on everything else.

Games running at 720p which are the majority will look good on TVs that are running native 720p but most LCDs on the market are 1366 by 768 so those will look like crap to.

I think this is why I have been so unimpressed with the ps3 titles I have seen first hand. I don't think it is the RSX per say but that it is just hard to get a good match with the monitor. The monitor they were using said 720p but its native resolution is 1366 by 768. The football game that runs at 1080p looked the worst of them all, again because of resolution matching and not the processor itself.

Also I am going to be missing the power brick on my 360 if there is ever a problem with the power supply on my PS3. There is a very good reason to have the two seperate.

I can't wait for an honest even compariosn with the two gameing systems (or three) all right next to each other playing the same games. I want to know how the GAMES play on each of the systems!!!

KAGE360

• Archived User
Ps3 Review
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 02:07:00 PM »

that jet engine talk is really funny.  its even funnier when i can hardly tell when its on.

what most idiot zombies dont realize is that's the DVD drive not the fans that is heard.  microsoft is on their 5th version of the 360 now and its quieter then ever before while my launch system is barely louder then my DC.  the ps3 is so quiet because of the slow ass blue-ray drive, throw a 12x DVD drive in it and it will be just as loud.

the thing just came out and everyone acts like there will be no issues, for a second there i thought we were talking about a sony system  rolleyes.gif

give it time, like all systems, they will have issues.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
Ps3 Review
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 02:16:00 PM »

You're correct about the DVD drive.

Without a DVD in my 360 I can't even tell that it's on unless I see the green power LED, and it's a launch console.

the Drive IS noisy when running at full speed. Early reviews of the console made it out to be loud because the OS ran the drive at full speed 100% of the time if there was a disc in it.

The Spring OS update fixed that problem by spinning down the disc when it wasn't being read, and only spinning it as fast as it needed when streaming things like audio or video. IIRC they also gave developers control over the disc speed so they can balance noise and speed depending on what they need.

But you'd be hard pressed to find a modern DVD drive that isn't that noisy, the one in my PC is easily twice as loud as my 360 when both are at speed. Not to mention the fans from my DLP projector are louder then those on the 360 and they're rated at only 29dB.

Mr Invader

• Archived User
Ps3 Review
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2006, 02:20:00 PM »

QUOTE(silentbob343 @ Nov 15 2006, 01:07 PM) View Post

Was that from one of the reviews?  I do know my friends 360 gets mighty loud.  Starts off quiet, but quickly builds in intensity.

no, its not in a review, but it is the subtitle of this forum topic. Most 360s that are hot or loud are 1st or 2nd generation xbox 360s.

QUOTE(mlmadmax @ Nov 15 2006, 02:39 PM) View Post

My 360 without a game in and playing a HD-DVD is whisper quite.

Are the HD-DVD players for the 360 out yet? I haven't seen any.

I think this is why I have been so unimpressed with the ps3 titles I have seen first hand. I don't think it is the RSX per say but that it is just hard to get a good match with the monitor. The monitor they were using said 720p but its native resolution is 1366 by 768. The football game that runs at 1080p looked the worst of them all, again because of resolution matching and not the processor itself.

High-def is the last thing that i thought the PS3 would be able to screw up.

Also I am going to be missing the power brick on my 360 if there is ever a problem with the power supply on my PS3. There is a very good reason to have the two seperate.

Interesting, i never thought of that. I guess its a very good thing that the PS3 has a 1 year warranty then.
I must say on a side note though that i was terrified when i first pulled my xbox 360's power brick out of its box though, i thought it had potential to explode.

alsybub

• Archived User
Ps3 Review
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 05:15:00 PM »

I got my PS3 today and I have to say I'm pretty pleased with it so far.

The fact is that it IS extremely quiet. I can't even here the drive. It's unbelievable! The games ask you if you would like to install them on the HDD, which takes a very long time but speeds up loading by a lot.

I still don't particularly like the design of the unit. The dash is fantastic if a little too much like the PSP but the music visualations are simply the best I've seen.

PS2 games look worse on it than on PS2 FOR SURE.

These babies run on both 110v and 240v! I was extremely surprised by that, So if you intend to import to Europe then you have nothing to worry about.

I only have Ridge Racer 7 at the mo. It's pretty enjoyable and the sixaxis is pretty fun. The pad is indeed very light but I don't seem to miss the rumble.

I ran Ridge in 1080p and it was really stuttering so I switched back to 720p.

Thought I had better post a picture since I may start being called a liar.

IPB Image
Apologies for the bad phot but I had my camera stolen recently. grr.gif

Heet

• Archived User
Ps3 Review
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2006, 05:25:00 PM »

Fixing the dvd is easy.  Flash to 4.2b!  

An unmodded is loud as hell, its a reason to flash even if its the only reason.

alsybub

• Archived User
Ps3 Review
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2006, 03:04:00 AM »

QUOTE(silentbob343 @ Nov 16 2006, 04:37 AM) View Post

ahh you're one of those silver CE guys, I like the traditional black.  Nice setup you there.  Odd thing on the stuttering, are you running the HDMI through your receiver?

I always had black on my previous setups  and so I wanted a change. Although it's very easy for silver stuff to look cheap so you have to buy carefully.

The HDMI is connected directly to my TV. I, as many others did, found the same problem when I ran my 360 in 1280x1024. So I think it's the PS3 straining a little or it's down to the games. I'll have to try it out with with other games when I get them, although at the moment no other games look that good to me. I'm looking forward to motor storm though.

KAGE360

• Archived User
Ps3 Review
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2006, 06:55:00 AM »

QUOTE(silentbob343 @ Nov 15 2006, 05:46 PM) View Post

Slow ass BR drive?  While it does have a slower transfer rate compared to a 12X DVD-Rom I wouldn't say its slow.  2X BR is 9MB/s, 8X DVD is 10MB/s, 12X DVD is 16.2MB/s, and a 52X CDROM little over 7MB/s.  You also have to consider the aerial density of the media and not just how fast the drive can spin.

Yes, the DVDROM on the 360 is the culprit, but it is part of the console and thus why people say the console is loud.

i meant the speed the drive is spinning the disk.  the DVD drives in the ps2 and xbox were quieter why?  because they were slower drive speeds.  

i much rather have a hum that i cant even hear during gameplay then a slow ass drive requiring me to install games on my HDD or risk dying of old age before i can even start playing the game.

alsybub

• Archived User
Ps3 Review
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2006, 07:31:00 AM »

QUOTE(KAGE360 @ Nov 16 2006, 02:02 PM) View Post

i meant the speed the drive is spinning the disk.  the DVD drives in the ps2 and xbox were quieter why?  because they were slower drive speeds.  

i much rather have a hum that i cant even hear during gameplay then a slow ass drive requiring me to install games on my HDD or risk dying of old age before i can even start playing the game.

I totally agree with you. It's pretty obvious. Quite hard to see why people don't see that themselves.

The first thing I thought, as I sat for what seemed like hours for RR7 to install, was that when I have a few games and I want to go back to playing a game I uninstalled I'm gonna have to either put up with very long loading times or waiting for it to install for 10 or 15 minutes, by which time I probably wont want to play the game anymore.

This is a very good reason why they should not have used BD for games BUT they had to justify forcing the technology on us some how.

I may own a PS3 but that doesn't mean to say that I don't think it's flawed in a lot of ways.

KAGE360

• Archived User
Ps3 Review
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2006, 07:42:00 AM »

QUOTE(alsybub @ Nov 16 2006, 09:38 AM) View Post

I totally agree with you. It's pretty obvious. Quite hard to see why people don't see that themselves.

The first thing I thought, as I sat for what seemed like hours for RR7 to install, was that when I have a few games and I want to go back to playing a game I uninstalled I'm gonna have to either put up with very long loading times or waiting for it to install for 10 or 15 minutes, by which time I probably wont want to play the game anymore.

This is a very good reason why they should not have used BD for games BUT they had to justify forcing the technology on us some how.

I may own a PS3 but that doesn't mean to say that I don't think it's flawed in a lot of ways.

well ignorance is bliss for playstation zombies.

have you tried playing games before installing them?  how bad are the load times before installing the game?8

alsybub

• Archived User
Ps3 Review
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2006, 08:31:00 AM »

No. I haven't yet.

I don't really want to sit throught install again. Lol

incognegro

• Archived User
Ps3 Review
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2006, 08:35:00 AM »

yes can u give a report on the load times?
Pages: [1] 2