xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: GameSpy: PS3 is 'definitely beating 360 in some areas of online'  (Read 1005 times)

PS3Scene

• Archived User

GameSpy: PS3 is 'definitely beating 360 in some areas of online'
Posted by XanTium | 12-8-2008 0:03 EST

From developmag.com:

Few have as good a viewpoint on that particular [online] battle as Todd Northcutt, GameSpy's director of technology. Thanks to the company's position as the exclusive online partner for the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, as well as its middleware licensing agreements with Sony and Microsoft, Northcutt works closely with each manufacturer.

"I don't think you've seen the same pace of innovation from Microsoft as you have from Sony recently," he told Develop in a pre-E3 briefing. "It's been steadily improving the PlayStation 3 as an online gaming device and an entertainment device while the Xbox 360 has had its half yearly updates but there's nothing groundbreaking that's been released, other than a couple of changes to the marketplace."

"We have a really good relationship with Sony and it's great to see the evolution of the platform.
I think it's experienced a lot of evolution and in some places PlayStation 3 is definitely beating out Xbox."

Full Story: developmag.com

HotKnife420

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 10:01:00 PM »

Yes, their pace is faster right now, but unfortunately a lot of that is them "catching up" with in-game xmb functions.

=CHAVEZ=

• Archived User
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 04:52:00 AM »

The main reason why PS3 online is better than Live is that it's FREE! Tadaaa! It's as simple as that...I just played CoD4 online with hardly any hiccups, only laggy games were those with american pple as I am in Australia and the latency just sucks when u play with pple from other countries (except New Zealand).

I admit that at the beginning games were a bit laggy but as patches started to come out and I got ADSL2+, there was hardly any probs anymore.

twistedsymphony

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 12:43:00 PM »

QUOTE(=CHAVEZ= @ Aug 13 2008, 07:28 AM) View Post

The main reason why PS3 online is better than Live is that it's FREE! ...

That's debatable. Personally I WANT IT TO BE A PAY SERVICE...

here's why:

If some ass-hat goes around team killing spouting racial slurs and other garbage, I can report him... if enough people report him, he gets banned.

On a pay service: he has to fork over another $50 if he want's to keep up the garbage, chances are he'll realize real quick that it's not worth the money to behave that way.

On a free service: he can make as many accounts as he likes, banning him has no effect, he'll just pop up again.

-Lets not forget that on a free service he can make multiple accounts, this allows him to load up your team with dummy characters while he kills you over and over again
-He can also create new accounts just to piss you off where the name of his account is directly related to yours and a drags your name through the mud.
-lots of other crap that can happen with "free" accounts phishing, spamming, scamming etc...

This is all crap I've seen done in the past on "free" online services. The minimal cost barrier of Xbox live prohibits that behavior because now the dip-shits have to pay if they want to be a pain in the ass.

I spend more money on a Saturday Night's dinner than I spend on Xbox Live for a whole f-ing year...

If you can't afford it ... GET A JOB. I like my online gaming to be 99% free of spam accounts thank you.

-----------------------------------

As for this article...   great... I'm glad that some guy thinks PSOnline is doing better than XBL in some areas... it might actually be helpful if they stated WHICH areas it's doing better at.  dry.gif

Kamasutra318

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2008, 04:02:00 PM »

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Aug 13 2008, 03:19 PM) *
If some ass-hat goes around team killing spouting racial slurs and other garbage, I can report him... if enough people report him, he gets banned.

On a pay service: he has to fork over another $50 if he want's to keep up the garbage, chances are he'll realize real quick that it's not worth the money to behave that way.

On a free service: he can make as many accounts as he likes, banning him has no effect, he'll just pop up again.
That's fine in concept, but XBL is still full of those people -- more than PSN in my experience. I wonder how many have actually been banned for such reasons. Anyway, the workaround to that situation is banning the console itself by some unique identifier, or even a blocking function would be fine with me. That's for that general case, though. I don't know of a way to report abuse on PSN; it'd probably need to be done on a per-game basis, too.

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Aug 13 2008, 03:19 PM) *
lots of other crap that can happen with "free" accounts phishing, spamming, scamming etc...
I'm pretty sure those things can be done with Silver accounts. I think free online gaming was the point.

QUOTE(=CHAVEZ= @ Aug 14 2008, 06:53 AM) *
actually spending money on this kind of stuff is still hard to justify for most casual gamers.
The one thing I agree with, and one reason I don't have a Gold account. The other being can just use my brother's. tongue.gif However, I don't even play online much anymore, but I'd be more inclined to buy a game for PS3 if I did feel like playing it online.

Although I'd say the openness for developers is a bigger advantage than being free (see UT3). Unfortunately, if that freedom is used improperly it can be seen as a disadvantage (see MGO).

Tundrok

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 12:32:00 PM »

Well, on the topic of PSN doing things better, I personally haven't seen a single thing that makes that true.  I own both an Xbox 360 & PS3 and all I see the PSN doing is trying to completely copy Xbox Live.  Yes, they are developing Home, but that isn't very groundbreaking at all when you look at things like Second Life.  I can respect the fact that Sony is trying to think 'out of the box', but this just doesn't seem like a success.  

However, when it comes down to it, it's all based on preference.  So Xbox Live costs $ and PSN doesn't.  Which one would I rather play games online with?  Xbox 360 IMHO.  Just because I like Xbox Live more doesn't make it right or wrong.

HotKnife420

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 07:22:00 PM »

Sorry TS, but I can't agree with ya on that one. Every night I end up playing with some racist asshole; I report him, and probably do good to avoid that player again for the immediate future, but there's still tons of 'em. Easy way around an XBL ban? Make another account.. There's plenty of people who overuse 48-hour trial codes, and banning them does absolutely nothing (they're often the most obnoxious, as well).

PSN is warming up; it's been doing what it needs to (multiplayer gaming) for quite some time already, and it's finally getting some of the things we were promised would be available for the PS3 launch (Trophies & in-game XMB). I'm surprised we're still waiting on in-game chat, but I can cope with just messaging for the time being. I still love how you can have up to 4 people in a video chat at once (not sure if XBL supports 4, as I don't have a Vision camera).

As more PS3s sell, more users will be on the PSN, and more pressure will be on Sony for updates. MS hasn't really rolled out a significant update in a while because they had the majority of features ready at the 360's launch, so it seemed as though the PSN was outpacing the 360 in updates, but the updates were things the 360 already had.

Avatars will be in the fall update, and the home public beta invites have already begun appearing for a few people (at least in the UK). Very possible that Home & Avatars will be available around the same time, as will future updates.

Right now, I'm wondering WTF is up with the lack of trophy updates (MGS4, etc).

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2008, 02:45:00 PM »

I have to say one of the reasons I never use the headset on XBL is the amount of shit and abuse spouted by Teenage Irks who think a video game is the real thing and they are the dogs bollocks.
On either service it is easy to bypass a ban.
 I am going to play uncharted again now that Trophy support is there. The problem is finding the time at the moment. New job and all is keeping me out all hours.

mik30

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2008, 02:58:00 PM »

QUOTE(HotKnife420 @ Aug 16 2008, 03:58 AM) *

PSN is warming up; it's been doing what it needs to (multiplayer gaming) for quite some time already,

Well I do not agree with that, especially when I take a look
at MGS4´s pultiplayer part. Konami is torturing the user with
an exaggerated (additional) registration process.

If you do not know what i mean, I get a little deeper
into the problem. If you want to play MGS4 multiplayer
konami forces you to register two special accounts
at konami´s  webpage. On is a Gamer ID and the other
is a MGS4 ID. Konami allows you to register just one
MGS4 ID per console for free. Any further MGS4
player on your console has to *PAY* for
the ID.

The whole registration procedure takes about 15 minutes.
After that the game still is not ready with you. To play you
are forced to create a kind of representation of yourself
in MGS4. Again konami allows you to register just one
Alter Ego for free. Any additional Alter Ego has to be bought.

Well, considering this is not what i call *free* multiplayer
in the full extend of the meaning. Allowing such a procedure
by Sony makes me wonder why nobody complains about
that but always refers to a free service when comparing
with XBOX live. Well than I prefer the XBOX Live service
without any additional charges for having an extra profile
or an extra Alter Ego for my friends.

Chancer

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2008, 03:10:00 PM »

QUOTE(mik30 @ Aug 16 2008, 10:34 PM) *

Well I do not agree with that, especially when I take a look
at MGS4´s pultiplayer part. Konami is torturing the user with
an exaggerated (additional) registration process.

If you do not know what i mean, I get a little deeper
into the problem. If you want to play MGS4 multiplayer
konami forces you to register two special accounts
at konami´s  webpage. On is a Gamer ID and the other
is a MGS4 ID. Konami allows you to register just one
MGS4 ID per console for free. Any further MGS4
player on your console has to *PAY* for
the ID.

The whole registration procedure takes about 15 minutes.
After that the game still is not ready with you. To play you
are forced to create a kind of representation of yourself
in MGS4. Again konami allows you to register just one
Alter Ego for free. Any additional Alter Ego has to be bought.

Well, considering this is not what i call *free* multiplayer
in the full extend of the meaning. Allowing such a procedure
by Sony makes me wonder why nobody complains about
that but always refers to a free service when comparing
with XBOX live. Well than I prefer the XBOX Live service
without any additional charges for having an extra profile
or an extra Alter Ego for my friends.

Konami charging for a second ID has nothing to do with the PSN being a pay service at all.
The free ID carried over from the MGO beta . You would only need to buy another ID for MGO if someone in your house wanted their own ID. The ID created when I played the beta is the same as the one used now and it is fine. If anyone else wishes to play they simply use my ID. That is not forced pay for live play. It is called you choose. If you did wish to pay it's not £40 like an XBL account.
 If that is your argument for calling PSN a paid for service it is a poor one
 By the way you can play multiplayer online
You ought to try it instead of misreading sites like arstechnica
 The complaint from PS3 owners is that they simply couldn't use their existing PSN ID

This post has been edited by Chancer: Aug 16 2008, 10:15 PM

ltjg22

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 12:45:00 PM »

PSN is starting to charge right now, you go online and you will get to sign up for a pay service, sony owns the company. Xbox is still the better of the two I have both systems and will admit sony is imporving but they are still playing catchup, over the year sony has had and lost the lead in tech products, the ps3 will be no different if they get the lead again, history will repeat itself.