xboxscene.org forums

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Rumor: Zune Phone Is Coming to CES 2009  (Read 1476 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Rumor: Zune Phone Is Coming to CES 2009
« on: December 10, 2008, 11:59:00 AM »

Posted by XanTium | December 10 13:59 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From wired.com:

After years of rumors and brusque denials, it appears the Zune phone is the real deal.

According to Trip Chowdhry, an analyst at Global Equities Research, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer will announce a Zune-style mobile device during his keynote address at the upcoming Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, on January 7, 2009.

In an article in Barron's, Chowdhry claims that the company's new centerpiece will combine the best features of the Zune media player with the hardware design of Danger's mobile Sidekick, in addition to "motion enhancement features," like an accelerometer.

Basically, this means the device will come with a physical keyboard like HTC's G1 and will likely feature a larger screen to accommodate heavy multimedia elements. And since we're all here copying each other's mobile phone features, we'll be shocked if the Zune phone doesn't feature multitouch capabilities.

Full Story: wired.com

jeffrey1790

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 12:54:00 PM »

always leeching off of other peoples ideas Bill.  dry.gif

bucko

• Recovered User
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 12:59:00 PM »

Dam I thought the title was Zune is coming to Europe, why should I bother read the rest. Sorry to blable but come on MS stop shafting Europe I wouldn't mine a Zune and Zune Pass. Godam you!

Tiptup300

• Archived User
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 01:22:00 PM »

I hope it's not touch screen. The touch pad is perfect. I've tried both and I much prefer the touchpad. I always try to swipe my phones buttons to no avail. sad.gif

gamer082009

• Archived User
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 01:45:00 PM »

I wonder if it'll have hardware failures! Or loss of signal..

spurs2k5

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2008, 03:41:00 PM »

ive tried the sprint instinct, the verizon voyager, the HTC (google phone), ppc-6700. At the then of the day, they are sluggish and very unresponsive. NOTHING COMPARES TO THE IPHONE. Ive had it since Feb, and all the phones ive mentioned are just ripoffs to the IPhone. Now the Zune phone? Who knows. Maybe DRM issue might be a little less a pain. Maybe it will support multitouch? Not really sure yet. If the zune phone follows the same pattern as the phones ive mentioned, then it will be another bad attempt at trying to copy the iphone. Hopefully it will be more responsive then the Iphone competitors. The IPhone could use a real challenger. Well see.

kimgitz

• Archived User
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2008, 03:58:00 PM »

how about we have a TegraZuneXboxWimo7 phone!

Dream specs:
 Processor Tegra
 Screen WVGA 480X800 Capacitive multitouch
 Internal memory 32GB...also exapndable with micoSD
 Proper 8MP Camera that can do video!
 great battery life

gg22mm

• Archived User
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2008, 04:35:00 PM »

QUOTE(kimgitz @ Dec 10 2008, 07:34 PM) *

how about we have a TegraZuneXboxWimo7 phone!

Dream specs:
 Processor Tegra
 Screen WVGA 480X800 Capacitive multitouch
 Internal memory 32GB...also exapndable with micoSD
 Proper 8MP Camera that can do video!
 great battery life

You forgot to mention how much would you be willing to pay for it! biggrin.gif

phistyle

• Archived User
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2008, 04:36:00 PM »

I'm pretty sure it's going to use windows mobile...come on...its microsoft...they probably do something similiar to HTC with the touchflo3D on windows mobile phones......

• Archived User
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2008, 05:22:00 PM »

I don't believe this story really, as far as I know the zune has been pretty much a flop.   Why would they try to leverage off something that wasn't all that successful to begin with to try and set themselves up against their own customers (HP ipaq, all the HTC mobile devices, dopod, samsung, all of these run MS Windows Mobile which MS would be making a killing off).  Doesn't sound like a good business plan to me. dry.gif

littlenate2470

• Archived User
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 06:26:00 PM »

I have tried almost every other touch screen phone, and nothing comes close to the iPhone sitting in front of me!!
maybe M$ could come up with something original once and a while?

phistyle

• Archived User
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2008, 07:22:00 PM »

QUOTE(avatar1976 @ Dec 10 2008, 06:58 PM) View Post

I don't believe this story really, as far as I know the zune has been pretty much a flop.   Why would they try to leverage off something that wasn't all that successful to begin with to try and set themselves up against their own customers (HP ipaq, all the HTC mobile devices, dopod, samsung, all of these run MS Windows Mobile which MS would be making a killing off).  Doesn't sound like a good business plan to me. dry.gif

because they already have the software somewhat already..and the cell phone business is a very profitable business to be in....

lordvader129

• Archived User
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2008, 07:55:00 PM »

QUOTE(spurs2k5 @ Dec 10 2008, 03:17 PM) View Post

ive tried the sprint instinct, the verizon voyager, the HTC (google phone), ppc-6700. At the then of the day, they are sluggish and very unresponsive. NOTHING COMPARES TO THE IPHONE. Ive had it since Feb, and all the phones ive mentioned are just ripoffs to the IPhone. Now the Zune phone? Who knows. Maybe DRM issue might be a little less a pain. Maybe it will support multitouch? Not really sure yet. If the zune phone follows the same pattern as the phones ive mentioned, then it will be another bad attempt at trying to copy the iphone. Hopefully it will be more responsive then the Iphone competitors. The IPhone could use a real challenger. Well see.

how is the ppc-6700 a ripoff of the iphone when it came out nearly 2 years before the iphone?

also, i wouldnt call the google phone an iphone ripoff, as like the 6700 (and 6800) its simply based on what HTC has been doing for years

the new HTC touch-series phones (especially the touch diamond and touch pro) definitely have iphone-inspired designs, but i wouldnt call them rip-offs (if you call touchflo a ripoff of the iphone OS i would wonder how familiar you are with either system)

as for the instinct and voyager, yes, these are blatant attempts to create a "poor-mans man's iphone" so i would certainly call them ripoffs

sorry for the OT rant, but when people seem to think anything with a touchscreen is an iphone ripoff it kindof peeves me

as for the zune phone, if they are making one it will almost certainly be an iphone clone, which means you couldnt pay me to use it either  biggrin.gif

StrictPuppet

• Recovered User
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2008, 08:01:00 PM »

QUOTE(avatar1976 @ Dec 10 2008, 04:58 PM) View Post

I don't believe this story really, as far as I know the zune has been pretty much a flop......

I guess it depends on how you determine if it is a flop or not.

The Zune is a solid piece of hardware that exceeds an Ipod in so many ways, if that makes it a flop, then so be it.

BoNg420

• Archived User
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2008, 08:31:00 PM »

I got a BB Storm.  Im pretty happy with it.
Pages: [1] 2