xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Zune VideoX: Microsoft's iTunes killer?  (Read 703 times)

Xbox-Scene

• Archived User
Zune VideoX: Microsoft's iTunes killer?
« on: April 17, 2008, 03:11:00 AM »

Posted by XanTium | April 17 04:35 EST | News Category: Xbox360

From zdnet.com:

Zune Marketplace is no iTunes killer. But maybe Zune VideoX will (at least attempt to) be.
After recently hearing about Microsoft's grand entertainment-marketplace/service (codenamed eLive), now I'm getting word of yet another Microsoft entertainment marketplace, known currently as "Zune Video X" (for Video Experience).

Zune VideoX is not Zune Marketplace revisited, sources say. Instead, it is Microsoft's attempt to apply the lessons learned with the success of the Xbox Live Marketplace to the Zune market, said one source who asked not to be named. It would be a single hub where Zune users could buy and download music, videos, TV shows and more entertainment content.

Microsoft has been talking about building a unified entertainment marketplace for years. One such attempt was codenamed "Alexandria." Another is eLive, is supposedly a single, unified "entertainment marketplace" where consumers will be able to go to buy music, videogames, and other kinds of content that will work on Windows PCs, Xboxes, Zunes and Windows Mobile phones.

One of my sources believes eLive is dead and has been superseded by Zune VideoX.
"eLive was renamed and recrafted to Zune VideoX, and the eLive vision scaled down to focus on Zune," the source, who requested anonymity, said.

Full Story: zdnet.com

crapoid685

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 07:37:00 AM »

The problem with the Zune is the software, not the hardware. As a device, I love the Zune's nice big screen, wifi, and interface. However, the software sucks donkey balls. I still recommend an iPod to my friends because it's just easier to use and manage. Until the software for the Zune comes even close to having the features that iTunes has, the Zune will continue to lag behind. As for this new marketplace, people have to have a Zune first, before they can use this marketplace. A lot of my friends got Zunes for Christmas, but they returned them and got an iPod after trying to use the crappy software.