xboxscene.org forums

Author Topic: Memory Price Going Down Suddenly...  (Read 37 times)

pug_ster

• Archived User
Memory Price Going Down Suddenly...
« on: February 09, 2007, 02:41:00 PM »

I don't know about you but if you try to go out to shop for memory this week the price of memory start to go down.  I saw price for 1gb ddr2 ram which is usually go for more than $100 suddenly dropped to less than $80 in some places.  

Coincidently, this week, the Us government start going after these memory companies because they are being charged with price fixing.

http://news.com.com/..._3-6157004.html

This is not the first time that has happened.  A few years back I recall that the price of memory actually went up to the point where the computers manufacturs downgraded memory of their pc's from 256mb to 128mb for their winxp loaded computers.  

For the past year we saw the price of flash memory dropped like a rock while price of ddr2 ram for pc's stayed relatively the same or even went up.

I wouldn't be surprised that the memory price fixing has hurt Microsoft selling Vista because of its memory requirements.  Personally, I am looking to upgrade my computer and hope the memory price will go down soon.

jon_jon

• Archived User
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 02:38:00 PM »

Whether there is price fixing or not, it's hard to prove.  There are so many memory manufactuers and most of the chips are made in Asia.  The prices are always going to fluctuate depending on chip production, curency fluctuations, market conditions, chip demand, etc.

hamwbone

• Recovered User
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 04:19:00 PM »

what i cant belive are the flash memory prices, WOW

i just bought 3 microSD 1gig cards for 11.95 shipped each!!

Alex548

• Recovered User
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 05:35:00 PM »

You paid too much.
I got a microSD card the other day for $1.99 (after rebate).
. . . also a 512 MB Kingston MicroSD card w/adapter Free after rebate from outpost.com  smile.gif

hamwbone

• Recovered User
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2007, 06:02:00 PM »

I dont "DO" rebates...  biggrin.gif   im still happy with my purchase, kept me from going to fry's! it would have cost about 30 times as much if i went there, becuase i would have bought to much other crap  biggrin.gif

sp3cialk

• Archived User
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 08:25:00 AM »

ha... yea... memory prices always climb their way up and then finally they do something and get back to normal pricing.  I remember one time in the late 80s early 90s memory was like $50 a meg... lol... craziness I tell ya...